By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity UPDATE: 3.5M in the first quarter

Tagged games:

That's got to have pushed some major hardware. Between that and Momotaro in JP, the Switch had to have had one of the highest pre-Black Friday weeks ever.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

The sheer fact that AOC may actually hit 5m for the series really brings to light the momentum given to the game as the flagship holiday title for Switch using the BOTW lore especially with the fact that we've had Warrior titles based on other popular IPs like DQ and FE as well in recent years. The stars really aligned for Koei with this one.

Hyrule was really made to be warriors, as the first game proved to be one of the best.

After this holiday miracle, we need them to realign and bring back Project Zero as well.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 24 November 2020

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Wow, just shows the selling power of the Breath of the Wild brand, have a feeling we will be seeing more spin-offs...

Nintendo with the Switch:

Da,N this is good news as the game is fun, but the story is annoying

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

It happens because of the name 'The legend of Zelda', even it isn't a good game because it hasn't participated in the real timeline of Zelda games.

Around the Network
abdulhade said:

It happens because of the name 'The legend of Zelda', even it isn't a good game because it hasn't participated in the real timeline of Zelda games.

I think it's more about the power of Breath of the Wild and the Switch.

Nintendo with the Switch:

My prediction on Era:

Predictions for AOC? I think LGPE sales launch and curve might work as a comp (except at maybe 80% of that volume). Will be weaker in Japan but similar/stronger in the west, especially US market where BOTW probably passes 10M this quarter if it hasn't already. Also it will be launching on a global install base of 75M in late Nov 2020 vs ~28M in Nov 2018.

If Nintendo gives PR I expect ~2.5M global 2/3 day opening, and sell-through by Dec to be at 5-7M. Q3 shipments of 7-9M. LTD crawls to like 10.5-11M (don't expect legs to hold out past launch).

My prediction was ~2.5M sell-through for the launch weekend. With 3M shipped, I guess it depends on the digital share.

Possible scenario:

40% Digital = 1,200,000

60% Physical @ 70% sell through =1,260,000

Total sell-through = 2,460,000

Two separate variables above to tinker with, so hard to pin-point a real number.

I think it'll keep burning hot this holiday season and go over 5M shipped (another ~1M for black Friday and 1-2M in December), but tank after the holidays. Probably end at 8-10M in the end.

abdulhade said:

Technically, "The Legend of Zelda" isn't part of the game's name. 

Signature goes here!

Wyrdness said:

If AOC were to hit 5-6m would that make it Koei's best selling game in general?

Actually it's almost there already. Nioh had shipped 3 mil by Febuary 2020 and that's their highest official number. It has probably shipped a bit more by now, but it's unlikely to be too far ahead.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Well deserved!

Great game and a blast to play. The plot had a bit of a cringe moment at one point, and the direction they took was not my prefered approach for a title that Nintendo has deemed as a canon extension to BotW, but they made it work. Each character feels unique to play and it has really shown just how far these Musou style games have come over the years. I would go as far as to say it is the best one yet TBH.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261