By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity UPDATE: 3.5M in the first quarter

Tagged games:

IcaroRibeiro said:
Dulfite said:

So a game that has probably sold 3-4 million copies by now is a game with bad word of mouth?

Depends on how much they actually sold in the first 2-3 weeks vs how much they sold in total 

3 million copies in few days is an outstanding even for most of Nintendo IPs, but a half million increase 2 months later its launch is not

Word of mouth isn't exclusive to the period AFTER launch or launch window. If I watch a trailer a month before release, talk to someone else with words from my mouth, and that causes said person to watch the trailer and then want to buy the game, that is word of mouth advertising. I'd imagine there was plenty of that considering how well it sold compared to entries in the Warrior series.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Bad game, bad word of mouth, low public interest. The fact this was the only Nintendo exclusive title for christmas season still beyond me

So a game that has probably sold 3-4 million copies by now is a game with bad word of mouth? Have you seen how many reaction videos there are on the reveal of that game? And each of those channels has a bunch of followers.

The game has sold tremendously, and those who wish BOTW had more story components are probably very satisfied by the story building AoC does. There clearly is public interest if it's the best selling he in the series or on the way to be.

Without opining about the quality of the game or what the word of mouth is: it's perfectly possible for a bad game to sell millions of copies. That's what hype is for, after all: those same reaction videos feed into selling copies before the game is reviewed or released, the initial interest was strong at least in part because this was billed as the prequel to one of Nintendo's biggest games in years, and being Nintendo's only serious holiday title didn't hurt how many units were moved. I think we can all name games off the top of our head which were quite bad, but still sold millions on copies on the back of the marketing machine. Even E.T., The Worst Game Of All Time™, sold 1.5 million copies in an era where a tenth of that was a genuine blockbuster.

Now, opining about the quality of the game, and speaking just for myself: it was meh. I haven't finished it. I'm not sure I'm going to finish it. I'm not a big Warriors fan, so that's not a shocker, but I was hoping that at least the game's other elements (e.g. narrative, characters, etc.) would make up for it. They didn't for me. No one really interacts much with one another, I haven't learned much about the world or events that I couldn't piece together from the base game, and the characters and events aren't even the ones we glimpsed in Breath of the Wild, so it's a bit of a bait-and-switch anyways.

I can't speak to word of mouth, since I haven't had my finger on the pulse for years, but I have a hard time imaging it was too spectacular, if the sell-through numbers have dropped so greatly.

Dulfite said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Depends on how much they actually sold in the first 2-3 weeks vs how much they sold in total 

3 million copies in few days is an outstanding even for most of Nintendo IPs, but a half million increase 2 months later its launch is not

Word of mouth isn't exclusive to the period AFTER launch or launch window. If I watch a trailer a month before release, talk to someone else with words from my mouth, and that causes said person to watch the trailer and then want to buy the game, that is word of mouth advertising. I'd imagine there was plenty of that considering how well it sold compared to entries in the Warrior series.

Oh, right

Bad word of mouth after launch*

Problem solved 

Most of sales are for pre existing that had the switch for ages and fans of breath of the wild.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Dulfite said:

Oh, right

Problem solved 

Dontcha know

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Dulfite said:

Oh, right

Problem solved 

You really don't like the game or the genre, don't you?

Just FYI, it got a 8/10 in user score on Metacritic, slightly above the score from reviews (7.8/10). Doesn't really look like bad word of mouth, now does it?