By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry- CoD Black Ops Cold War



The DF video shows these "set peice" scenes with drops.
Which could be caused by this bug.


"VGTech explained it a week ago that sometimes these frames just do NOT drop at all. John just double-checked and confirmed it. If it were a hardware limitation, wouldn't the frames drop every single time?"

^ this is the logic.

If it was a performance issue with the console, why would it sometimes not appear at all? or why would loading a checkpoint fix it?
DF might have just ran into a performance bug, video'ed it, and called it a day, then used it in video, as a way to say xsx > ps5.
Its not at all representative of how actual gameplay is (when you have footage from 16mins without a single frame drop on consoles), if its a random issue that only pops up sometimes.

Ethomaz :
"If that the case... restart a checkpoint make it smooth again. Then I believe it is some memory bug or memory leak." - neogaf.

Hopefully future patch fixes this.



Around the Network

Shadows (and overall lighting) are really important for visuals. I hope that we can improve this gen with RT shadows, much more important than accurate reflections.



numberwang said:

Shadows (and overall lighting) are really important for visuals. I hope that we can improve this gen with RT shadows, much more important than accurate reflections.

Hard not to agree with this.
Lightning & shadows makes a gigantic impact on image quality.



Too_Talls said:
SvennoJ said:

Does the online separate 120fps mode from 60fps mode in match making?

Resolution and draw distance are also important for competitive multiplayer to distinguish the enemy from the background. Turning down the graphics helps on PC to remove 'clutter' and make the enemy stand out more. Turning down the resolution (what the consoles do to achieve 120) doesn't help.

their guess is that it still runs at about 1200P which is more than enough. 1080 has been the standard for seeing for a while, the option to output a higher resolution has been there for a while, most people stuck to 1080p with more frames as opposed to bumping up the res.

framerate > resolution, ask any competitive player they will take the frames over resolution everytime, so long as the resolution is at least 1080. of course 720 and 120 frames wouldn't do anyone any good, but 1200P + 120fps > 4k 60.

And trust me, if the option to lower that res further to push more frames, many people would do that, but unfortunately these boxes cap off at 120Hz. Ask yourself why you think 1080p 240Hz monitors even exist.

I was thinking about Series S, dropping as low as 576p in one game that offered 120fps

They exist for motion clarity. I don't buy the 4 or 8ms advantage compared to 200ms human response time. Higher fps mainly creates a more stable picture with better motion clarity making it much easier to identify and track threats. For the same reason, turn off motion blur, dof, bloom, lens flare, film grain, vignette, dirty lens, screen shake, head bob, particle effects, anything that distracts from seeing the enemy. Even lower res textures can help.

Dropping resolution should be a last resort to stay competitive, fps > resolution >>>>> eye candy when it comes to competitive multiplayer. Screen size helps as well. I'm faster in racing games on bigger screens (or sit closer). Fastest in VR despite crap resolution. Peripheral vision helps a lot to know exactly how far you are from the side and how fast you are moving laterally. However the resolution of VR is too low for shooters.

Anyway, 1200p is indeed plenty. I wonder if CoD separates the modes in matchmaking or otherwise lists who is playing on/with what. It would be interesting to see stats whether 120fps players really have an advantage over 60fps players and how much.



While the deep dive from DF is appreciated , plenty of reviews have declared this games MP a visual downgrade from MW.

The whole debacle reminds me of Ghost a bit. Good graphics in the SP but the MP graphics and quality of gameplay are poor.



Around the Network
JRPGfan said:



The DF video shows these "set peice" scenes with drops.
Which could be caused by this bug.


"VGTech explained it a week ago that sometimes these frames just do NOT drop at all. John just double-checked and confirmed it. If it were a hardware limitation, wouldn't the frames drop every single time?"

^ this is the logic.

If it was a performance issue with the console, why would it sometimes not appear at all? or why would loading a checkpoint fix it?
DF might have just ran into a performance bug, video'ed it, and called it a day, then used it in video, as a way to say xsx > ps5.
Its not at all representative of how actual gameplay is (when you have footage from 16mins without a single frame drop on consoles), if its a random issue that only pops up sometimes.

Ethomaz :
"If that the case... restart a checkpoint make it smooth again. Then I believe it is some memory bug or memory leak." - neogaf.

Hopefully future patch fixes this.

Dude you got a lot of energy, I hope you can use that energy against the pc-gamers instead of xbox.

But you're right, those fps drops in RTX-mode on PS5 seems to be a bug, so it's a tie here between Xbox and Playstation.



6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Did we get any rumor of PS5 tools being late or Xbox tools arriving to cover this comparison?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SvennoJ said:

I was thinking about Series S, dropping as low as 576p in one game that offered 120fps

Now image if we had waited for a year and got some AMD-DLSS solution for that problem. Game changer missed.



PotentHerbs said:
smroadkill15 said:

I disagree. Both XSX and Ps5 fps are in the 90s during 120 mode so being 4 fps higher when both are struggling isn't really a bragging point. Where as XSX performance is 60 fps with raytracing on with no drops vs ps5 dips into the 40s with it on. This a much bigger deal than any advantage ps5 has. Loading times are not a big enough difference to really brag about.

If we're going to be adding advantages that have nothing to do with performance, then XSX can quick resume at any point during the game, or Xbox has cloud saving without needing a sub. Lets keep the comparisons related to graphical performance shall we. 

The Series X having better RT isn't as big a factor as you think. If the PS5 version dropped into the 40's consistently, frequently in gameplay, than yeah it would be a huge advantage for the Series X. However, DF states the PS5 version dips in RT mode during select scenes (they gave two examples) but otherwise runs at 60FPS most of the time. I'd say the advantage the PS5 has in 120hz mode is about the same as the Series X advantage in RT. 

Graphical performance isn't the only point of comparison. DF themselves note the Dualsense, controls that actually impact how you play, and not something completely irrelevant to performance like cloud saves. In a multiplatform game that runs nearly identical on both consoles, the Dualsense features help the PS5 version stand out, and adds another layer of immersion to the gameplay. 

You can make the same argument for XSX games running smooth minus a few hiccups, but yet it's a huge deal in those other comparison threads.

The Duelsense is a great controller, but I would never be the deciding factor on where I play a game. It's not like the series X controller is bad. it's an excellent controller with tons of QoL improvements. As long as ps controllers continue to have asymmetrical sticks, I will always prefer the Xbox controller.  



numberwang said:
SvennoJ said:

I was thinking about Series S, dropping as low as 576p in one game that offered 120fps

Now image if we had waited for a year and got some AMD-DLSS solution for that problem. Game changer missed.

Series SS and XSS in 3 years ;)