By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz - Site Upgrade

Machina said:

The theme thing - my (strongly) preferred is blue, if I'd taken the pictures they would've been in blue. Ryuu, who took those images, uses dark, so that's why they're in dark theme. It doesn't speak to a preferred style for the design in general.

Platforms - sort of. I think dividing by gens is good, but within gens they should be alphabetical. Added that to the list.

Profile - Afaik the order of things has not been changed, except for Biography.

Theme selector - yes that could do with a label. It's definitely a feature not an error!

Quick Reply - think this is something we overlooked. I'll add it to the list.

Theme: Just thought that the dark theme was the default one since the whole site's theme is black/grey and orange... Has the team though of ditching the green links and buttons and going for orange to match it further in style?

Platforms: That's what I guessed, then the issue would be what gen to consider for the Switch. I would ditch the generational order and just put all consoles alphabetically no matter if they are handheld or home consoles, they are all consoles after all.

Profile: I only mentioned it since the side column is empty wrt to the rest.

trunkswd said:

We've had the dark theme, but made it easier to swap between them with the drop down on the right side of the top header. I'm glad you like dark theme!

I was not even aware we had a dark theme, it suits the website's style.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
Machina said:

I only use Blue myself, but a quick glance of the White theme shows a lot of orange on the front page already, and the remaining green turns orange when moused over. I guess that could/should be swapped (show orange, then green upon mouse over).

Switch fits into both of course, but for the GameDB drop-down we'll place it above the PS5, now that the PS5 and XSX are launching. PS4 and XO will rapidly be considered legacy hardware, but the Switch will be active for several years yet.

Profile layout changes I'll leave to @Ryuu96 to decide, as he's the one really driving through the changes to Profiles and Settings. Recent Activity could probably work well on the right. I don't think Forum Posts would work well there though; the text would be squashed and look cramped on the right. Oh and we'll be adding graphs and stuff for games owned, so depending on how that looks and fits into things they could end up balancing the right column out.

Thanks for the feedback Machina. No rush for these comments though, better prioritize the website's response and speed.

The Profile's forum posts text could be shortened to a few words only or they could just be links to the latest threads you've posted on, no need to preview the posted text as it barely works with quoted content.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 09 November 2020

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Changes are nice. However, the site takes a lot more time to load now...

The amount of images is just overwhelming and cluttered in my opinion. The homepage is just less concise and structured. I have to scroll more to get the same amount of information. Sometimes text is just better than an image.

Old site when im at the top I can see 14 forum threads, 10 latest charts and 3 latest stories with descriptions.

New site when im at the top I can see 9 forum threads, 3 latest charts and 2 latest stories with no descriptions.

It's just less efficient... But that's my opinion I'm sure other people like the new one better.

So yeah I'm not a fan of the homepage at least, and hope that the speed can return to normal because the site is pretty unusable for me at the moment even with 75mbit DL speed.

Minor bug, nothing dramatic, but when you click on the notification that you got a new badge, it brings you to the page with the overview of all existing badges, not your badges.

On that note, about 150k have signed up but only 80k came back a second time? Are those one-timers mostly bots or what?

Zkuq said:
OhNoYouDont said:
Can you guys fix the CSS? On an ultrawide monitor and the #mainContainerSub has a max width of 1200px for some bizarre reason.

Can't speak for owners of ultrawide monitors, but not too wide please! Wider containers mean longer lines, which in turns makes it harder for eyes to track the beginning of the next line. That is, when lines are too long, reading gets harder. I (the owner of a 23.5" 1080p screen) currently have a userstyle which sets the width to 1000px because 1200px is already uncomfortably long.

One suggestion I have in this case to make both parties happy could be to do the same as TVTropes did: offer an option for a wide load for those who want to to fill the screen. Something like that could then be toggled in the settings after implementation by those who prefer it.

Around the Network

Maybe this has been mentioned, but I haven't seen it yet. Anyway, in the dark mode, the quick reply box has a white background, whereas the rich text reply box has a dark background. Pick one colour and use it for both! Preferably, it's the dark colour for the dark theme in all text inputs.

First, let me say that I'm happy so much is being done to bring this site into the future. I know it's a lot of work for everyone involved.Second, I will say that in the future I'm all for the front page being much less cluttered and much easier on the eyes. In my opinion it actually looks worse than it did originally, mostly because it seems some of the borders that kept things in place are gone. I have always felt this site tried to put way too much on the page in an attempt to sell as many of the capacities of this site as possible. I'm sure there is a cleaner way to accomplish this that at the bare minimum at least looks appealing.I hope as the nuts and bolts and behind the scenes aspects of the site continue to be adjusted to align with the new php, that in the future we will also see a process of updating going forward for the represenation of VGC on the front page.Not trying to be a downer, but definitely hoping for a more attractive future for VGC.

I have a suggestion for the front page clutter complaints. But, instead of describing it, I'll try to simulate it. I hope this works. =P

It would be something like this:

Latest stories

Imagine a beautiful image here

Here goes the title of the news article, containing less than 70 characters

Here goes either a little description of the news or its first sentence, containing less than 155 characters.

Here goes the number of comments of the news, the date and/or some other useful pieces of information

Here goes either a little description of the news or its first sentence, containing less than 155 characters.

Here goes the number of comments of the news, the date and/or some other useful pieces of information

Imagine there are a bunch of other news here.

See more

I'm mostly a lurker now.

I'm experiencing some issues too: 1) the "We value your privacy" text just keeps showing up almost every time a page is loaded, 2) I can't like people's posts and 3) the Notifications section won't load unless I go to Settings first.

And that's all right now.

[Edit x4]

Everything goes smoothly now.

Last edited by Verter - on 16 November 2020

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Machina said:

1 - Even after you've ticked the X?

2 & 3 - They're working fine for me. I'll ask Talon if he has any idea what's going on for you there.

Edit - I'd always say to try clearing your cache first, that seems to resolve a lot of issues.

I usually browse in private (which I think cleans the cache when the windows are closed), but I'll try on other browsers tomorrow if I keep having these issues.

As for the point one, the dialog with the X (a little box at the top of the site) doesn't show up, but this other one at the bottom does (I always click on Agree):

I'm mostly a lurker now.