By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Cloud Gaming Could Be A Big Part Of Switch's Future

Soundwave said:

But 3rd party games

Those games won't be a big part of Switch's future.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Cobretti2 said:
No thanks.

I am old and stubborn and like to own my games. For me this would mean out and no more Nintendo console.

So if they port games that can only run on the Switch via the Cloud, then youre out? I dont get it... I mean what downgraded AAA games have you bought for the Switch? Witcher 3? Doom? Skyrim? 

i'm a collector not gamer these days. no tie to play atm. so like to collect then one day who knows.

Darwinianevolution said:
Cloud gaming is too dependent of a good internet infrastructure, and Nintendo's is notoriously unstable. And in any case I like to own my games, so this doesn't appeal to me.

Did you try it out with Control? You know you can try it for free before buying anything, right?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I think this opens the door for Switch staying very competitive when the new gen of consoles has arrived. Now many smaller and indie titles are available on Switch, that have the upside of being able to be played everywhere, while high profile 3rd-party titles are possibly also available for people with good internet connectivity.

Side note: If you remember there were rumours about Nintendo reaching out to devs to make games 4K-ready. This fueled the rumours of a Switch Pro. While I highly doubt a Pro model can natively render titles in 4K, I see it more than possible to output streamed games in 4K. Do you think that is connected?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Maybe as far as 3rd party support goes, but I would rather see a service like XCloud on the Switch TBH. Pending on how well this game performs on a mobile hotspot (will try 5G later), these versions will be worthless to anyone with another console. If the hotspot works well, at least portability will still be a viable reason.

But even then, not sure how I feel about paying full price for a license that could eventually expire. If no one plays the game 4 years from now, do the servers get taken down?

You know what, scratch that...I know exactly how I feel about it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

xCloud is not happening on Switch. Nintendo doesn't make money and Microsoft won't share.

Nintendo doesn't need MS to have game streaming, games like Control and RE7 in Japan run just fine on the Switch. They can just scale up what they already have.

A lot of players are reporting very solid performance as well with low latency, so the company handling the streaming side for the Switch is doing a good job.

Player2 said:
Soundwave said:

But 3rd party games

That isn't really true based on what we know now. 

You can play Control now, which is a high end game that pushes even a PS5/XSX when ray tracing is switched on. 

In the future Hitman III is coming, and we know Resident Evil 3 Remake is coming too from a data leak, but we already had a leak from Dark Golem that Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil 7 and even Resident Evil Viilage are coming to Switch in Cloud editions. 

And there's probably going to be many more. There's no downside for a company to offer this option, they don't have to even port anything. Ubitus (the streaming company) takes care of the streaming side and they seem quite competent at it.  

Good option for games that are not capable on Nintendo Switches hardware.

Cobretti2 said:
No thanks.

I am old and stubborn and like to own my games. For me this would mean out and no more Nintendo console.

I suspect only games that would never have come to Switch without cloud would do the cloud route. If they can make it native to Switch, I would think they would as with cloud they are crippling sales potential by eliminating those that either don't have good internet or prefer to play out of the house with no internet. I'd be out if that was what 3rd parties did regardless, but that doesn't make business sense. For instance, MH Rise is coming natively, and has a userbase of 60-70 million to sell to, whereas if it came via cloud I'd imagine many tens of millions of potential buyers wouldn't be able to get it. Therefore, I like to think if the games are coming via cloud only, then that is literally the only way that developer was able to financially bring the game to Switch and we are therefore getting games we wouldn't have had in the first place (which is always a good thing).

Soundwave said:
Player2 said:

That isn't really true based on what we know now. 

You can play Control now, which is a high end game that pushes even a PS5/XSX when ray tracing is switched on. 

In the future Hitman III is coming, and we know Resident Evil 3 Remake is coming too from a data leak, but we already had a leak from Dark Golem that Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil 7 and even Resident Evil Viilage are coming to Switch in Cloud editions. 

And there's probably going to be many more. There's no downside for a company to offer this option, they don't have to even port anything. Ubitus (the streaming company) takes care of the streaming side and they seem quite competent at it.  

No chances of any of them making it into Switch's top 20 software, so not big.