By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Cloud Gaming Could Be A Big Part Of Switch's Future

Player2 said:
Soundwave said:

That isn't really true based on what we know now. 

You can play Control now, which is a high end game that pushes even a PS5/XSX when ray tracing is switched on. 

In the future Hitman III is coming, and we know Resident Evil 3 Remake is coming too from a data leak, but we already had a leak from Dark Golem that Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil 7 and even Resident Evil Viilage are coming to Switch in Cloud editions. 

And there's probably going to be many more. There's no downside for a company to offer this option, they don't have to even port anything. Ubitus (the streaming company) takes care of the streaming side and they seem quite competent at it.  

¿Chances of any of them making it into Switch's top 20 software?

Depends on the game I guess, I think GTAV at $29.99 say could climb some charts. Either way, the other beauty of this is it doesn't cost the developer anything. There is nothing to port so even if a dev sells a paltry 15,000 "copies", it's a win for them. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Player2 said:

Depends on the game I guess, I think GTAV at $29.99 say could climb some charts. Either way, the other beauty of this is it doesn't cost the developer anything. There is nothing to port so even if a dev sells a paltry 15,000 "copies", it's a win for them. 

So none of the games previously mentioned.

Rockstar has no interest to put GTA V on Switch. The game runs on weaker hardware than Switch, so it could've been ported easily already if the interest was there. Cloud won't change that.

I wish we could have Geforce Now as a part of NSO service and play already purchased games in their full glory. Imagine BOTW powered by NVidia's cloud gaming, or any other game in that matter.

Kristof81 said:
I wish we could have Geforce Now as a part of NSO service and play already purchased games in their full glory. Imagine BOTW powered by NVidia's cloud gaming, or any other game in that matter.

Even though Nvidia and Nintendo are tech partners, in the streaming business, Nintendo would have to share with Nvidia or vice versa and I don't think either wants to do that. 

From many reports on Control for Switch, the reports are very positive and many people are saying it's very similar to Geforce Now level quality. 

And Nintendo cuts their full cut of that licensing fee, and the developer gets the rest. No Nvidia/Microsoft as a middle man to cut into profit. 

This is a better set up for Nintendo, using a smaller company like Ubitus that still can provide a quality experience, but keeping the big wigs out of it. It's better for Nintendo and it's better for the 3rd party publisher. 

I am very impressed from Nintendo's cloud evolution, people who tried it sound very positive and we are just at the very early stages of cloud gaming

even more impressive to think it comes from Nintendo who is behind in terms of networking (and graphics)

they should really invest in this since it solves the graphics gap big way, most gamers play connected anyway, and with 5G around it can only get better

would be interesting to know what's the internet speed benchmark for 1080p streaming

Last edited by dark_gh0st_b0y - on 29 October 2020

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Cobretti2 said:
No thanks.

I am old and stubborn and like to own my games. For me this would mean out and no more Nintendo console.

I suspect only games that would never have come to Switch without cloud would do the cloud route. If they can make it native to Switch, I would think they would as with cloud they are crippling sales potential by eliminating those that either don't have good internet or prefer to play out of the house with no internet. I'd be out if that was what 3rd parties did regardless, but that doesn't make business sense. For instance, MH Rise is coming natively, and has a userbase of 60-70 million to sell to, whereas if it came via cloud I'd imagine many tens of millions of potential buyers wouldn't be able to get it. Therefore, I like to think if the games are coming via cloud only, then that is literally the only way that developer was able to financially bring the game to Switch and we are therefore getting games we wouldn't have had in the first place (which is always a good thing).

Yer i get it for Switch, the odd game that would not be possible unless it was gimped. But if this becomes the norm for say Switch 2, then 3rd parties will be even more lazier than they are now. Just load up a PC build on the cloud and add switch control support then we will never see a native game again. For me this is bad because I like to collect my games. I hardly play anything out of the box these days till years later.  

I would much rather Nintendo focus on making the next gen switch something that is capable of running native 1080p in portable mode using DLSS to upscale it to 4k then go down the cloud path. 

Soundwave said:
Player2 said:

There is no point of making a cloud-version of a PS3 game, Rockstar just went lazy on this

Nintendo will be the company to break cloud gaming mainstream. Lmao

Just watch.

It will only target a subset of the userbase so I'm not sure if it will be that big of a deal. I view it more as a bonus than a game-changer.

But it is a nice addition (assuming it works) because it makes it possible for the Switch to get games that it otherwise wouldn't. So if you have a good enough connection to make use of the service then great, you now have access to more titles.

Mnementh said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Cloud gaming is too dependent of a good internet infrastructure, and Nintendo's is notoriously unstable. And in any case I like to own my games, so this doesn't appeal to me.

Did you try it out with Control? You know you can try it for free before buying anything, right?

I don't pay for the online service, can you play cloud games without it?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.