By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why don't people talk about the Switch as much as Xbox or PS?

JWeinCom said:
rapsuperstar31 said:
I mean we wouldn't want to rub it in that we have the two best franchises in gaming.

Damn right. We have Codename S.T.E.A.M. and Wave Race. Booyah.

Don't forget Denpamen and Style Savvy...

Last edited by Mnementh - on 29 October 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
JWeinCom said:

Damn right. We have Codename S.T.E.A.M. and Wave Race. Booyah.

Don't forget Denpamen and Style Savvy...

Difference is I legitimately love Codename S.T.E.A.M. so I'm only half joking XD.

TomaTito said:
wohufana said:

Those studies were done in 2017, 2 years before Pokemon S/S was released when millions of kiddos bought a Switch to play it. And kids rarely read articles related to consoles. They just want Pokemon and Mario, and now Animal Crossing.

Did you click the links I put?

I would not have told you that those studies were conducted in 2017 if I didn't take a look at those links. By the way your first table indicates the ONLY 17% from 18 years old and below bracket who owned Switch while your second table reflects that nobody among gamers below 18 owned Switch. This reinforces my arguments that after 2017, Pokemon and other "kiddie" games attracted many younger gamers who finds no time for debates on social media. If these "younger" audience are ALL active in SocMed for console debates, don't you think Switch can't go toe-to-toe with XBox and PS in terms of engagements?

Last edited by wohufana - on 29 October 2020

Wow check back in and it devolved into the age groups of Nintendo fans. Talk about getting sidetracked....

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

But we're talking about the Switch now! I fall in the 12% bar and can confirm, while playing Switch or VR I have no time to post online. When playing on PC, always one alt-tab away, other consoles always patches and lengthy load times. Plenty of time to post.

Around the Network

So looks like the OP never once replied or posted to this thread... Bait much?

mutantsushi said:
So looks like the OP never once replied or posted to this thread... Bait much?

No, just didn't have a big enough reason to reply to anyone. I just heard their answers and took them into consideration. I'm thankful for everyone's answers though.

Alright then, sorry if I jumped to conclusions, at least coming back and saying thanks in general is nice gesture on your part.

wohufana said:
TomaTito said:

I would not have told you that those studies were conducted in 2017 if I didn't take a look at those links. By the way your first table indicates the ONLY 17% from 18 years old and below bracket who owned Switch while your second table reflects that nobody among gamers below 18 owned Switch. This reinforces my arguments that after 2017, Pokemon and other "kiddie" games attracted many younger gamers who finds no time for debates on social media. If these "younger" audience are ALL active in SocMed for console debates, don't you think Switch can't go toe-to-toe with XBox and PS in terms of engagements?

What is SocMed? Social Medicine? We are discussing your first assertion, "A large portion of Switch owners are below 18 years old and they just want to play games."

The first graph clearly shows how things stood at 2017 in the US:

• 10% 15 and under;
  • 7% in the 16-18 bracket;
  • 20% in the 19-24 bracket;
  • 43% majority in 25-34 bracket;
  • 20% for the 35+.

The second graphic only shows from 18 years old onward, so you can take the subsection of adult gamers from the first graph. Even then the change between Q2 2017 to Q4 2018 shows an increase in the 18-24 and 35-44 ranges, the demographics then increased relatively more in between these ages.

A demographic already existed in 2017 with an 83% for the 19+ gamers, you cannot wipe these off when your so defined "kiddie" games release to go inline with your assumptions. The first graph I posted was the US demographics for 2020 for all gamers, and it also has a similar figure of 21% for the kiddos. Sorry to break your assumption that a large portion of Switch owners are under 18 when it is only around 20% which similar to the overall gaming landscape.

You should have said instead that, "A large portion of Switch owners are 30+ years old that don't care about social media."

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:
wohufana said:

What is SocMed? Social Medicine? We are discussing your first assertion, "A large portion of Switch owners are below 18 years old and they just want to play games."

The first graph clearly shows how things stood at 2017 in the US:

• 10% 15 and under;
  • 7% in the 16-18 bracket;
  • 20% in the 19-24 bracket;
  • 43% majority in 25-34 bracket;
  • 20% for the 35+.

The second graphic only shows from 18 years old onward, so you can take the subsection of adult gamers from the first graph. Even then the change between Q2 2017 to Q4 2018 shows an increase in the 18-24 and 35-44 ranges, the demographics then increased relatively more in between these ages.

A demographic already existed in 2017 with an 83% for the 19+ gamers, you cannot wipe these off when your so defined "kiddie" games release to go inline with your assumptions. The first graph I posted was the US demographics for 2020 for all gamers, and it also has a similar figure of 21% for the kiddos. Sorry to break your assumption that a large portion of Switch owners are under 18 when it is only around 20% which similar to the overall gaming landscape.

You should have said instead that, "A large portion of Switch owners are 30+ years old that don't care about social media."

So you assumed that my "large" argument meant majority? We are talking here about tens of millions of Switch owners. Twenty percent of 67 million is 13.4 million. These owners do not comprise the majority but 13.4 million is a portion too small for you? Do you think a 13 year old gamer would bother himself in a discussion in SocMed (Medicine if that's what you want) about console wars like we usually do here on this site? Maybe a little portion of those who are 16 or 17 do what we do but generally speaking, they do not care.

Now back to the thread, it stated that despite its blockbusters sales, netizens hardlly talk about Switch as much as XB or PS. Don't you think these 13M+ Switch owners can not make an impact in social media if they become active regarding console stuffs and make Switch go neck and neck with XB and PS in terms of internet buzz?