By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why don't people talk about the Switch as much as Xbox or PS?

I’ll make it plain as a openly console fan: Nintendo isn’t Sony. Nintendo isn’t actively trying to push Xbox out of the market like Sony is. And to Sony only Xbox seems like a scrappy underdog that is their only obstacle to a full core gamer monopoly. Nintendo isn’t a threat to the other 2 (because they are unique). 

Nintendo is a console competitor, but it isn’t in a rivalry like Xbox or PlayStation. Nintendo does its own thing due to its unique hardware and software. MS and Sony bicker over the rest of us.

Quite simply it’s a 2 brand race, and you Nintendo guys should count yourselves lucky you aren’t part of this, and Nintendo is successful. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 29 October 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
wohufana said:

A large portion of Switch owners are below 18 years old and they just want to play games. Social media engagement about console war is a waste of time for them.

Isn't the younger generation *more* involved in social media?

Young ones are very active in SocMed because they utilize it mainly for socialization and get in touch with friends and gain attention with their tiktok videos but to involve themselves in a "debate" or forum regarding consoles is not their cup of tea. I don't have a data that can support my arguments but I have a 15 year old nephew and a 13 year old niece who each have a Switch and at the same time they have a Facebook account but they do not care about each console's specs, sales, history etc.

sales2099 said:

I’ll make it plain as a openly console fan: Nintendo isn’t Sony. Nintendo isn’t actively trying to push Xbox out of the market like Sony is. And to Sony only Xbox seems like a scrappy underdog that is their only obstacle to a full core gamer monopoly. Nintendo isn’t a threat to the other 2 (because they are unique). 

Nintendo is a console competitor, but it isn’t in a rivalry like Xbox or PlayStation. Nintendo does its own thing due to its unique hardware and software. MS and Sony bicker over the rest of us.

Quite simply it’s a 2 brand race, and you Nintendo guys should count yourselves lucky you aren’t part of this, and Nintendo is successful. 

But I see more fanwars and clashes from Nintendo fans and Playstation fans than I see from Xbox fans and Playstation fans 

wohufana said:
Mnementh said:

Isn't the younger generation *more* involved in social media?

they do not care about each console's specs, sales, history etc.

(Almost) nobody cares for that regardless of age. Being a chart follower is something more niche among fans of every media 

Do you think moviegoers goes to theater wondering which movies are the biggest box office hits? Or every person who listen to music on Spotify counts how many streams their playlist songs had and how many albums their favorite singers sold? I find hard to believe 

TomaTito said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I see reports saying Switch has a higher female userbase, but never find anything about age groups

Regardless, I'm sure your assertion is equally true for both Sony and Xbox owners 

Apparently videogames are for kiddos... main demographics globally in the US:

Nintendo data discussed here on VGC:

More recent estimates:

Those studies were done in 2017, 2 years before Pokemon S/S was released when millions of kiddos bought a Switch to play it. And kids rarely read articles related to consoles. They just want Pokemon and Mario, and now Animal Crossing.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
sales2099 said:

But I see more fanwars and clashes from Nintendo fans and Playstation fans than I see from Xbox fans and Playstation fans 

People see what they want to see. Nintendo and Sony were an  older rivalry after all. Sorry I don’t mean to come across negative or anything but while I’m sure that happens those are niche compared to Xbox v PS. Look no further then console wars Twitter.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

IcaroRibeiro said:
wohufana said:

they do not care about each console's specs, sales, history etc.

(Almost) nobody cares for that regardless of age. Being a chart follower is something more niche among fans of every media 

Do you think moviegoers goes to theater wondering which movies are the biggest box office hits? Or every person who listen to music on Spotify counts how many streams their playlist songs had and how many albums their favorite singers sold? I find hard to believe 

Moviegoers=general audience.

I was specific, citing the the below 18 age demographics. So for the question....

Why don't people talk about the Switch as much as Xbox or PS?

Answer: Children who play Pokemon (millions of them) rarely talk about the console they have on the internet as much as adults do, like us. 

Because there hasn't been a major reason to talk about the Switch since Animal Crossing 5 came out.

Love and tolerate.

PlayStation and Xbox have new hardware coming out, plus their target audiences are at least a few years older. But there's still plenty of Nintendo talk.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

wohufana said:
TomaTito said:

Apparently videogames are for kiddos... main demographics globally in the US:

Nintendo data discussed here on VGC:

More recent estimates:

Those studies were done in 2017, 2 years before Pokemon S/S was released when millions of kiddos bought a Switch to play it. And kids rarely read articles related to consoles. They just want Pokemon and Mario, and now Animal Crossing.

That's a pretty big assumption on your part that somehow the demographic suddenly changed to have a majority of owners in the 18 under group because of Pokémon S/S. I've seen no data indicating this shift happened.

Signature goes here!