By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase October 2020

IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

Finally seeing unobstructed gameplay of No More Heroes 3, plus seeing what Immortals will look like running on Switch and a new trailer for Age of Calamity made it a decent Direct for me.

I do worry about cloud gaming on Switch though; for millions of Switch owners it is not a viable option, and if it starts to replace proper native ports that'd be a huge problem in my opinion.

There is no other way to do this. Even late PS4/XBOX games are too much for the Switch, as we can see by the shameful port of Outer Words, so there is no feasible way to get ports of upcoming PS5 and Xbox Series X games. A cloud game, even if being sold for a much smaller market of few million Switch owners who have the luxury of good network connection is better than a extremely downgraded version of a game that nobody wants

Is either getting those games on Cloud or not getting any ports anymore

The Switch can handle late PS4/Xbone games; Wolfenstein Youngblood and Mortal Kombat 11 demonstrate that, and with the new update The Outer Worlds is quite serviceable on Switch.

I don't have a problem with being used for games that would never work as native ports, like PS5/XS titles, but I do worry that games that could've been legitimately ported might now become mere cloud versions that would be unviable for myself and millions of others.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

Finally seeing unobstructed gameplay of No More Heroes 3, plus seeing what Immortals will look like running on Switch and a new trailer for Age of Calamity made it a decent Direct for me.

I do worry about cloud gaming on Switch though; for millions of Switch owners it is not a viable option, and if it starts to replace proper native ports that'd be a huge problem in my opinion.

There is no other way to do this. Even late PS4/XBOX games are too much for the Switch, as we can see by the shameful port of Outer Words, so there is no feasible way to get ports of upcoming PS5 and Xbox Series X games. A cloud game, even if being sold for a much smaller market of few million Switch owners who have the luxury of good network connection is better than a extremely downgraded version of a game that nobody wants

Dragon Quest XI S

The Witcher 3

Warframe

Doom

Wolfenstein

Mortal Kombat XI

Overwatch

Alien Isolation

Hellblade

Rocket League

Just to name a few disagree. Most engines for games are very scaleable. Monster Hunter Rise is using RE Engine. Rise is using a more advanced engine than World. World is still on a 7th gen engine in MT Frameworks, the same Engine as Mega Man 11.  Same engine as DMC5 and RE7,2,3. Ocotpath Traveler and FFVIIR and DQXI us the same engine in UE4. You can port about anything to Switch. It just takes some work but it's easy hardware and tools to work with.

Last edited by Leynos - on 28 October 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Dragon Quest XI S

The Witcher 3

Warframe

Doom

Wolfenstein

Mortal Kombat XI

Overwatch

Alien Isolation

Hellblade

Rocket League

Just to name a few disagree. Most engines for games are very scaleable. Monster Hunter Rise is using RE Engine. Rise is using a more advanced engine than World. World is still on a 7th gen engine in MT Frameworks, the same Engine as Mega Man 11.  Same engine as DMC5 and RE7,2,3. Ocotpath Traveler and FFVIIR and DQXI us the same engine in UE4. You can port about anything to Switch. It just takes some work but it's easy hardware and tools to work with.

Of course Switch is able to run anything as long devs can downgrade the assets, resolution and frames. If you don't mind to play Outer Worlds with half of the assets missing in the screen and a shit tons of loads popping up while you walk, go for it. There is no reason to believe a game like Final Fantasy VII RE can run in any playable condition on Switch no matter  how much work devs will try to put on it, if anything even PS4 barely runs FF Re as the game seems to have lower resolution assets in some moments of the play-trough because the hardware wasn't good enough

The alternative to run let's say Death Stranding on Switch is to use Cloud Service, same goes for next gen games or do you think Horizon Zero Dawn 2 can be ported to Switch?

IcaroRibeiro said:
Leynos said:

Dragon Quest XI S

The Witcher 3

Warframe

Doom

Wolfenstein

Mortal Kombat XI

Overwatch

Alien Isolation

Hellblade

Rocket League

Of course Switch is able to run anything as long devs can downgrade the assets, resolution and frames. If you don't mind to play Outer Worlds with half of the assets missing in the screen and a shit tons of loads popping up while you walk, go for it. There is no reason to believe a game like Final Fantasy VII RE can run in any playable condition on Switch no matter  how much work devs will try to put on it, if anything even PS4 barely runs FF Re as the game seems to have lower resolution assets in some moments of the play-trough because the hardware wasn't good enough

The alternative to run let's say Death Stranding on Switch is to use Cloud Service, same goes for next gen games or do you think Horizon Zero Dawn 2 can be ported to Switch?

Yes in the same sense Mario is coming to PS5. Seriously why did you go with Sony exclusive IPs? Anyway, we are likely getting an upgraded model soon that will have DLSS 2.0

Switch Pro would just run the game in 540P and then use DLSS to bump it up

Last edited by Leynos - on 29 October 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Dragon Quest XI S

The Witcher 3

Warframe

Doom

Wolfenstein

Mortal Kombat XI

Overwatch

Alien Isolation

Hellblade

Rocket League

I think you meant to write it this way, but just to be clear, DMC5 and RE7/REmake 2/REmake 3 use the same engine as Rise, not the same MT Framework engine as Monster Hunter: World. Again, I think you meant it that way, just the formatting of your post is weird. 

Around the Network

Is it just me, or does Bravely Default II looks... off? This style works on the 3DS, but in this it looks like they just upscaled the 3DS models and added a couple of filters, and it just seems unfinished. Am I the only one who thinks this?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

The Switch can handle late PS4/Xbone games; Wolfenstein Youngblood and Mortal Kombat 11 demonstrate that, and with the new update The Outer Worlds is quite serviceable on Switch.

I don't have a problem with being used for games that would never work as native ports, like PS5/XS titles, but I do worry that games that could've been legitimately ported might now become mere cloud versions that would be unviable for myself and millions of others.

I think publishers are aware of the limitations. Between the game selling for only 40 bucks and a smaller base because of streaming, I think publishers will weigh their options to decide which route they go if they decide to support Switch with their game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Immortals seems to hold up reasonably well on Switch, at least as much as one can expect from a current gen open world title. I wonder if it was ported in house or by a dedicated porting studio.

curl-6 said:
Immortals seems to hold up reasonably well on Switch, at least as much as one can expect from a current gen open world title. I wonder if it was ported in house or by a dedicated porting studio.

Given the game's design inspiration, it was probably been done with Switch in mind since the beggining, hence why it (seemingly) runs and looks great.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
curl-6 said:

Given the game's design inspiration, it was probably been done with Switch in mind since the beggining, hence why it (seemingly) runs and looks great.

Yeah you'd think so, they probably should've made the Switch the lead plaform tbh since it's easier to upgrade from there than downgrade from PS4/Xbone.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 October 2020