By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Can Sony Expand Its Base with PS5?

Tagged games:

The_Liquid_Laser said:

How can Sony expand its base with PS5?  It can't.

They've already designed the system including price point.  They are basically locked in to the PS4's strategy without realizing that the gaming landscape has changed a lot.  PS4 launched against the Wii U and XB1, two turd consoles.  PS5 is launching against Switch and a Microsoft that is buying lots of studios and says it isn't done yet.  PS5 is in serious trouble.  The gaming landscape has totally changed, but Sony is treating PS5 like it's in the same situation as PS4.

There is a decent change the PS5 will get totally wrecked.  The best Sony can do with PS5 is contain the wreckage.  They won't get a chance to expand their base until maybe the PS6, assuming it has a design that has properly responded to the new gaming landscape.

What is getting totally screwed for you? 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

They've already designed the system including price point.  They are basically locked in to the PS4's strategy without realizing that the gaming landscape has changed a lot.  PS4 launched against the Wii U and XB1, two turd consoles.  PS5 is launching against Switch and a Microsoft that is buying lots of studios and says it isn't done yet.  PS5 is in serious trouble.  The gaming landscape has totally changed, but Sony is treating PS5 like it's in the same situation as PS4.

There is a decent change the PS5 will get totally wrecked.  The best Sony can do with PS5 is contain the wreckage.  They won't get a chance to expand their base until maybe the PS6, assuming it has a design that has properly responded to the new gaming landscape.

Gonna go with a hard no.

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1321160835532640257?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Metallox said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

What is getting totally screwed for you? 

Taking losses similar to PS3 years (or worse).  Not saying that it definitely will happen, but Sony is at risk of it happening if they don't adjust soon enough.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

This is all wishful thinking on your part, written in unsubstantiated hyperboles. 

Hynad said:
OneTime said:

In my opinion, one of the biggest differentiators that Sony has is the number of PSVR units they have out there. In fact, I would imagine that many early PS5 adopters will already own one.

Unfortunately, Sony has been very quiet about the future of PSVR, which I think is a marketing mistake.

It’s most likely not a marketing mistake. You mention this as if it is a certainty that the PS5’s VR solution already exists in a near final form factor. They probably have a clear vision of what they want the next headset to be, and probably don’t want it to be a simple incremental update. Motion controls are most likely going to be on a completely different level than what the first PSVR had, among other things we should expect to change. Developing those require time, and lots of trials and errors, and testing. 

The current set is compatible with the PS5 through an adapter Sony if giving at no extra charge to those owning the PSVR. So as long as that set is still supported, they can take the time required to come up with a product that won’t be half assed.

Until they have a working product that ups the experience enough to justify its price, there’s no reason to try to market it.

I didn't say anything about a new PS5 version of PSVR - I am talking about people who already own the PS4 headset.  So - where are the upcoming PS5 VR titles for people who want to upgrade?  

If there is one thing that Xbox does not have, it's an existing library of VR games and users who already own VR headsets.  I'd be marketing the hell out of this, personally...  "You want the option to do VR in the future?  Best get a PS5 then".

Around the Network
OneTime said:
Hynad said:

It’s most likely not a marketing mistake. You mention this as if it is a certainty that the PS5’s VR solution already exists in a near final form factor. They probably have a clear vision of what they want the next headset to be, and probably don’t want it to be a simple incremental update. Motion controls are most likely going to be on a completely different level than what the first PSVR had, among other things we should expect to change. Developing those require time, and lots of trials and errors, and testing. 

The current set is compatible with the PS5 through an adapter Sony if giving at no extra charge to those owning the PSVR. So as long as that set is still supported, they can take the time required to come up with a product that won’t be half assed.

Until they have a working product that ups the experience enough to justify its price, there’s no reason to try to market it.

I didn't say anything about a new PS5 version of PSVR - I am talking about people who already own the PS4 headset.  So - where are the upcoming PS5 VR titles for people who want to upgrade?  

If there is one thing that Xbox does not have, it's an existing library of VR games and users who already own VR headsets.  I'd be marketing the hell out of this, personally...  "You want the option to do VR in the future?  Best get a PS5 then".

Every single PS5 units will be sold the moment they’re in stock for the foreseeable few months. So it really isn’t as if Sony needs to push its VR strategy right away to sell well in the short term. As for the marketing for VR, the first batch of PS5 is sold out, the second wave will be sold out most likely in minutes as well, yet they’ve barely started their marketing campaign. There are barely any ads about it on TV, and most of what is seen online isn’t advertising the console features much.

All of this will come in due time. I don’t see why you would “worry” about any of it.

Last edited by Hynad - on 27 October 2020

TomaTito said:
mjk45 said:

The PS4 base is OK but the PS5 base is screwed literally

*claps* Not bad mjk45, not bad at all!

Good poke joke, though at least they gave the option to take it off. It's all about the options, except for when it's not, apparently.

hinch said:

Keep making great exclusives, first party. Money-hat third party with big timed ones like FF. Make it a system you must own to play them. And do a price drop further in the consoles life cycle.

And OP, most powerful never has played a large factor in what makes a console successful. Its always the games. Also, Japan has been leaning towards mobile consoles for years now. The Switch and its successors will run away in that region.

My strategy would to follow the PS2 strategy. Take no prisoners when it comes to exclusives.

This.

SNY doesn't need a direct Game Pass competitor, at least not next gen. If GP eventually becomes enough of a problem and SNY feels the need to better compete by the end of the gen, they can do it with Plus for now, even if they have to charge more. I don't see the need though if SNY can lock up enough exclusivity when it comes to the right studio's and their games.

If MS does keep buying studio's, considering they were supposedly the 'good guys' who thought exclusivity was so bad last gen, then SNY will automatically be given the right to counter, and they will just buy as well in retaliation, even if MS allows those games to go multiplatform still. Could be many smaller studios that don't rustle as many feathers or they could go big and do what's necessary to buy large studio's, or long enough exclusivity from them that the average joe is automatically going to buy a PS5 to get those mass appeal games (without having to wait too long to get it on XB). Many cheap options does work, but not as well as offering you that one must have for a price you can talk yourself into justifying.

They can always give the console for free.

Hynad said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This is all wishful thinking on your part, written in unsubstantiated hyperboles. 

It's not wishful thinking or hyperbolic.  PS5 is up against tougher competition.  That is a plain fact.  Nintendo and Microsoft have better offerings this time around than they did with the Wii U and XB1.

With how technology progresses, I think the "peak" performance for a console will remain in the ballpark between 100-120 Million units before it's replaced by the new generation model. Beyond those numbers is an abnormality that relies on hitting a mass market, cheap pricepoint that wouldn't realistically be long-term sustainable for a business model that the three platform holders go for. A brand new PS4 is still $299/£250 a full 7 years after launch. In comparison, you can buy a Switch Lite for $199/£179 merely 3 and a half years after the launch of the original Switch.

Granted, you can get some really sweet deals for a PS4 with games included, but you get the picture.

Sony could probably have kept the PS4 on the market for another couple years with a substantial pricecut to $250 or $199 and the introduction of a digital only model. Pushing lifetime numbers to what, 125? 130 Million?
___

Sony don't really need to "expand" that userbase. PS4 profits have shown that they can remain extremely successful while keeping numbers in the similar park as previous generation leaders. If they at least match the PS4, they're almost guaranteed to be more profitable and more successful with the continued growth of digital sales and PlayStation Plus. They'll eventually introduce the "Pro" model for PS5, the console itself is gigantic so you can absolutely expect a Slimline remodel at some point and Sony's own 1st party production is currently as strong as it's ever been while continually expanding.

The aim should be retaining the current userbase before wanting to expand. The last they they need is a PS3 situation where they let the competition eat into the market.