By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's Temper Our 2021 Nintendo Expectations

Wman1996 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

If Switch doesn't deliver a great year for 2021, I'm going to assume that Nintendo thinks it's okay to abandon it's hardware mid to late gen. Gamecube had a pretty weak 2005 and an almost non-existant 2006 in terms of games. Wii's 2011 and 2012 were pretty barren as well. As Switch's 4th year 2020 has been very barren in terms of high new profile quality releases. If Nintendo has 2021 be another year with only 2-3 new high profile quality releases, then I'm going to assume that Nintendo consoles will always be front loaded, with little software support in the later years.

There's no excuse for 2021 being another light year though. BotW 2, Bayonetta 3, and Odyssey 2 should have been completed in 2020. And Nintendo has to have more than just those three games in the oven right now.

Yup.

People are criticizing me for ignoring third-party titles and first-party ports/remakes. I'm glad they exist because they give us more to play. Switch is doing far better with third-party than Wii U, and seems to have a better selection of third-party than N64 or GameCube as well.

But just look at Switch's top 20 selling games on the charts here.

Only three first-party Wii U ports (granted one is the best-selling Switch game), one cross-gen Nintendo game, two remakes, and one third-party game that uses Mario in a crossover. 

That leaves 13 sequels or new IPs that are first-party. New first-party games move Switch consoles, the ports/remakes and third-party games are an added bonus.

2020 has been a letdown for new Nintendo titles, and I'm just telling people to hope but not expect for 2021 to be much different. I would not put it past Nintendo at all to coast off of their evergreen first-party titles already released and not release as many first-party games for the rest of Switch's life as they should. This could be the GameCube and Wii all over again.

Yeah, and people got sick of that little game, and decided to drop the Wii U like a hot potato. A massive part of the Wii U failing was that there was all this backlash from people who were expecting better software support for the Wii. 2011-2012 was deadsville, and 2009-2010 was pretty light. It really didn't help that 3rd parties barely supported the Wii either. I'm a hardcore Wii collector and only have 20 games for the system. Even if I were to really stretch the library out I might somehow get to 30 titles. Meanwhile I have over 100 Switch games.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Wman1996 said:

Yup.

People are criticizing me for ignoring third-party titles and first-party ports/remakes. I'm glad they exist because they give us more to play. Switch is doing far better with third-party than Wii U, and seems to have a better selection of third-party than N64 or GameCube as well.

But just look at Switch's top 20 selling games on the charts here.

Only three first-party Wii U ports (granted one is the best-selling Switch game), one cross-gen Nintendo game, two remakes, and one third-party game that uses Mario in a crossover. 

That leaves 13 sequels or new IPs that are first-party. New first-party games move Switch consoles, the ports/remakes and third-party games are an added bonus.

2020 has been a letdown for new Nintendo titles, and I'm just telling people to hope but not expect for 2021 to be much different. I would not put it past Nintendo at all to coast off of their evergreen first-party titles already released and not release as many first-party games for the rest of Switch's life as they should. This could be the GameCube and Wii all over again.

One reason the top 20 excludes third party games is that we usually don't know what the sales are of most third party games.  For example, what are the sales of Minecraft on the Switch?  No one knows, but it is very likely above the 2.6m that the #20 game is currently listed at.  How about Just Dance 2020?  That's another decent candidate for the top 20, but we don't know its sales.

Next year Monster Hunter Rise will release.  That is a significant release.  It doesn't matter if it's first party or third party.  A major exclusive is a major exclusive.  It is extremely likely to be in Switch's top 20 selling games.  If we are evaluating Switch's 2021 lineup then major third party games need to be taken into consideration.

@Bolded: Very True. MH sells like crazy. Hopefully it will stay exclusive to Switch for at least a couple years.

Around the Network

Don't tell me what to do. 2021 will be the best year in gaming history baby!!!

For real though, I think 2021 will be solid for Nintendo. How solid exactly is hard to tell without much being announced yet. But with Animal Crossing carring over the 2020, it sort of makes sense to hold most of their relevant games for after the new gen is out to boost momentum against the competition.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

I don't expect anything in particular, I'm not pick and give chances to many new franchises and smaller projects

Just need steady stream of games so maybe I can choose one every month/every two months

I do hope they are either AAA or first party though. I love indies, but I can buy them on Steam for much better prices

I say 30 million switch sold for 2021

I temper my expectation and say only 25M+ will be sold

Around the Network

i've simply tempered my expectations for nintendo overall. its' been working out well.

Do majority of people actually expect much?

Most just hope Nintendo don't abandon their console early I would argue lol

I don't see any reason to think 2021 won't be a big year for the Switch. Please OP don't start with this "we don't know what's coming so that means not much is coming" nonsense. We alraedy had people saying that all of 2020 only to be (of course) continually proven wrong. Mario 3D World, MH, lots of other 3rd party games, likely a pokemon, botw2, likely zelda collection, and possibly one more major game and a few smaller franchise games and/or old ports, plus of course the new model, and hopefully N64 added to Switch Online. It should be a big year.

I'm not expecting the world, since this year majorly disrupted their release schedule. Major released like BotW 2, Prime 4, and Bayonetta 3 are even further away now.

Ultravolt said:

I'm not expecting the world, since this year majorly disrupted their release schedule. Major released like BotW 2, Prime 4, and Bayonetta 3 are even further away now.

Breath of the Wild 2 will likely be 2021, even if it takes until the fourth quarter. Prime 4 isn't coming out until 2022 or 2023. They restarted development around January 2019, so it's going to be a while.

Bayonetta 3 might be out in 2021, but 2022 is as likely given how we know virtually nothing.

I don't know how much of their 2020 and 2021 schedule was shifted around. We can only speculate. But I'm trying to picture 2020 without Animal Crossing (if it got released in 2019 like originally planned) and how even more of a quiet year it would be. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima