By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Warner Bros. was worried Mortal Kombat 11 would be too mature for Switch

Mandalore76 said:

Noboby wants to remember this game, but it happened:

In North America, while the game is available uncensored on the GameCube and Xbox, all naked breasts are covered in the PlayStation 2 version.

We all want to forget this.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
  • Releases at the same time as other versions? Check
  • Port isn't gimped or messed up from the start? Check
  • Receives proper updates and DLC? Check
  • Receives the same sales and discounts as other versions? Check
  • Sells well? Check

Nicely put. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

green_sky said:
Oh yes very mature game. Peak of human consciousness.

My thoughts exactly. And your avatar laughing just made my day. 

Slownenberg said:
Really??? People still think Nintendo are "kiddie" systems? I thought that idea died out like 20 years ago haha. This isn't the SNES anymore where Nintendo makes them turn blood into sweat haha. Switch is hugely popular with 30-somethings who grew up on games in the early days of Nintendo. Why would anyone think that audience isn't able to handle mature themed games??

Funny that you say that, because it was about 20 years ago when the "Nintendo is for babies" sentiment was at its peak, lol.

Don't worry, I know you didn't mean it literally. I'm not the guy who "must be fun at parties." ~_~

It's so tiresome that in 2020 we still have to put up with the "third party games/mature games don't sell on Nintendo" bullshit.

We've been having the same damn discussion for so many years, and no matter how many third parties say their games sold well on Nintendo, no matter how many M-rated games pull in good numbers, the same decrepit myth keeps getting dragged out.

On the bright side, at least MK11 now stands as a prime example that it is just that, a myth.

Around the Network

Bastards!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Too bad they don’t give a concrete number for how much it actually sold. They’ve mentioned it’s a “big success” on multiple occasions though so sales must be surprisingly high.

Good that the developers stuck to their guns even with WB’s hesitations. I have the game, it’s a good port; has all the content and is a full package, was released and got all the DLC day and date with the other version and runs great. Only ‘negative’ is the understandable graphical downgrade. Nintendo-fans don’t take BS, but a fair and good port will succeed, especially on Switch, it’s been proven time and time again.

vivster said:
I wish they would stop using the word "mature" for legal age. Mortal Combat is less mature than any Nintendo game.

Yeah, this. In some regards Minecraft is a more mature game than Mortal Kombat.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

In many regards I have to ask the question: what do these managers add to the experience? All I can see is how they are holding back teams. Be it in the background story to the Golden Axed release that was uncovered or in Kotick's Activision/Blizzard driving away RTS developers. And here this bullshit.

Managers should've learned by now, that they create the market. Games aren't an essential product, people don't starve if they can't play games. So companies have very much the power to shape the userbase by releasing proper games and do good marketing. In some cases a single game can shape the market, like Pokemon on the Gameboy or Wii Sports. But the excuse 'but the platform doesn't have these gamers' don't work - because you can draw in these gamers, if you want.

And by now people should start to ask if Playstation is the platform for 'mature' games (if you can call something like MK mature, I don't see deep content only superficial gore, but my definition of mature may differ), because of the censorship that happens in the PS universe and that is absent for Nintendos platform.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Witcher 3, another M-rated title, saw "excellent sales" according to CD Projekt Red:

https://www.theouterhaven.net/2020/09/the-witcher-3-had-excellent-sales-on-nintendo-switch/

Nintendo gamers have no qualms about buying "mature" content, so long as the game itself is a worthwhile product.