By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Warner Bros. was worried Mortal Kombat 11 would be too mature for Switch

Totally understandable. Most people buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. And Nintendo just doesn't make M rated games, so from a developers standpoint they will take this idea into account. How many people bought Animal Crossing and Mortal Kombat XI, let alone on the switch? Mortal Kombat XI was a success on every platform it was released on. 

我是广州人

Around the Network

Unfortunately there is still a pretty big group of people, even Switch owners, who think that there aren't mature games on the Switch and that Nintendo doesn't allow mature games on their system. There are sometimes where I'm playing MK11 or Witcher 3 on Switch and people seem surprised that mature games like Witcher 3 and MK11 are on the Switch, because they can't believe that a Nintendo system gets Mature 3rd party games. It sucks that just cause Nintendo's main mascot is a cartoons looking Mario gives people the false image that Nintendo systems don't have mature games and its for kids. It's been an image Nintendo has been struggling to shake since the SNES, even when Nintendo really tried to kill their kiddy image with the GameCube by publishing more mature games like Eternal Darkness and Geist while making an exclusive deal with Capcom to bring Resident Evil games to the GameCube, the average consumer STILL viewed Nintendo as a kiddy company with no mature games just cause the face of their company is Mario.Its honestly sad that Nintendo was pretty much forced to not directly compete with Sony and Microsoft because they couldn't shake their childish image. I think this image is definitely improving with the Switch now getting more mature 3rd party games, however there's still ways to go

burninmylight said:
  • Releases at the same time as other versions? Check
  • Port isn't gimped or messed up from the start? Check
  • Receives proper updates and DLC? Check
  • Receives the same sales and discounts as other versions? Check
  • Sells well? Check

Puts on smallest cart and requires huge download?  Check

sethnintendo said:
burninmylight said:
  • Releases at the same time as other versions? Check
  • Port isn't gimped or messed up from the start? Check
  • Receives proper updates and DLC? Check
  • Receives the same sales and discounts as other versions? Check
  • Sells well? Check

Puts on smallest cart and requires huge download?  Check

Didn't know that. Four out of five from a major third party publisher is about the best you're gonna get.

He's right, it's too mature in the sense that it is a game that tries too hard and it ends up being repulsively edgy, mostly made for emo kids and angry teenagers experiencing puberty. Reminds me of the original God of War, too much cringe for me to handle.

Around the Network

There never an expansion of "good 3rd party sales" for a lot of switch games outside one blurb in a earning report from X company. There is usually no follow up (Bethesda with Doom) or the quality level does match any effort of making the game better on the switch (such as FIFA).

If the myth of M-rated games having no audience on Nintendo platforms was true, they would've stopped coming a long time ago.

Instead, in the Switch's 4th year its still getting plenty of M-rated releases like Sniper Elite 4, Crysis Remastered, Outer Worlds, Metro Redux, etc, with more in the "coming soon" column like Doom Eternal, World War Z, No More Heroes 3.

curl-6 said:

If the myth of M-rated games having no audience on Nintendo platforms was true, they would've stopped coming a long time ago.

Instead, in the Switch's 4th year its still getting plenty of M-rated releases like Sniper Elite 4, Crysis Remastered, Outer Worlds, Metro Redux, etc, with more in the "coming soon" column like Doom Eternal, World War Z, No More Heroes 3.

Not just that, but some publishers aren't hiding behind the sometimes valid excuse of the hardware not being able to handle the games by bringing things like Resident Evil 7 and Control to the Switch via the cloud.

I don’t think I’m overreacting when I say round up their CEO and corporate planning team. Take them to a US court. Charge them with libel. The prosecution should seek the death penalty.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Tale as old as time

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.