By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Future of Physical Media in consoles - end of disks?

Now that even consoles are moving toward subscription based media, What you you guys think the future of physical media is?

Personally, I see them going toward the collector's item status, same as blu-ray.

Though however, I see everyone moving away from discs, as discs just don't work, hell, they haven't really since the start of gen 8.

even the much weaker wii U used install data on some bigger games to help loading (Xenoblade X)

I feel like everyone will move back to carts while simultainiously jacking up the price by at least 10$.

Making a port costs nothing compared to a disc drive, so there is a cost saving on a per console basis

plus they arn't as fragile as disc drives, and are much easier to repair and replace.

and by next gen, a 128GB read only SSD wouldn't be that expensive, currently they are around 20 bucks.

... Hell, now that I think about it, MS could do it right now with the series S/X, turning their proprietary expansion port from a 'detriment' into an asset since instead of moving around stuff from an HDD and back taking 30 minuetes, you can just hot swap a cart in and immediatly begin playing. even if it was 80$ (casue an ssd costs 20-30$ at 128GB when discs cost pennies) I'd say most people who would insist on buying phisical would buy this for the sheer convienience.

Around the Network

Once it goes I'm done with the modern gaming period. I like to own things and play them years after services shut down.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Hiku said:
DPsx7 said:
Drives and discs cost next to nothing.

Add the costs of manufacturing, packaging, shipping, logistics, retailers cut, etc, and it adds up to a big chunk of the pie.
Just removing the retailers cut, publishers and platform holders get about 30% more money when they sell games [digitally online].

Sure, but that's not relevant to the OP's claim, since he's pushing physical cartridges as replacement to discs.
Drive and discs aren't the major cost (drive ≈ 2 flash carts), it is physical game retail that is cost* for game pubs.
* and more than costs as such, lost sales due to physical 2nd hard market which pure-digital does away with by design.
Nobody will change game format... to another physical format that doesn't do anything else for them (unlike digital).
Nintendo didn't actually change because they already were using carts in portables, which Switch certainly still is.

Great , less waste.

My point here is that phisical games are going to be the same as 'special edition' realeses starting next gen, which is why I'm saying that its going to go to carts.
If they start selling as carts, and as more of a collector's item, they'll have enough excuse to sell at 80, as long as its a plug and play implementation. especially if both companies uses it as also a memory expansion port anyway.

Around the Network

I would love to see discs replaced by SD cartridges. They are growing in size and in ease of production much faster than discs, plus they take much less space.
Sadly, I think publishers want physical media gone at all costs, they want absolute control over sales and distribution.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Everything I download is digital, is what it is.

Leynos said:
Once it goes I'm done with the modern gaming period. I like to own things and play them years after services shut down.

Then you should've been done with gaming or moved to PC since gen 7. Game ownership doesn't exist on consoles anymore since they got internet.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Leynos said:

Then you should've been done with gaming or moved to PC since gen 7. Game ownership doesn't exist on consoles anymore since they got internet.

Noo,most games can be played offline without the need of the internet, yea ya cant download any patches, thats why i do my research to see if a game is broken at launch or not. 

Also almost all limitedrungames  are with patches on disc(there now at 370+ physical ps4 games released)

Thats the future of physical media, companies like lrg.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

xl-klaudkil said:
vivster said:

Noo,most games can be played offline without the need of the internet, yea ya cant download any patches, thats why i do my research to see if a game is broken at launch or not. 

Also almost all limitedrungames  are with patches on disc(there now at 370+ physical ps4 games released)

Thats the future of physical media, companies like lrg.

It's not about patches. It's about the console manufacturer being able to remove your ability to play a game or even read the disc at the push of a button. At that point you don't own the game anymore. That's what DRM is. You don't own the product, but only a license that can be revoked at any moment. On a console there is zero distinction between a physical and a digital game in terms of game ownership.

Actual game ownership today is exclusive to PC and even there it's not with some games or only with jumping through hoops.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.