By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer On Bethesda Deal, Series X/S Launch, And More

In an Interview with Phil Spencer by Kotaku, several interesting topics were discussed. One of those was the bethesda acquisition which happened last month. 

Stephen Totilo asked Phil:

“Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.

Then he paused.

“I don’t want to be flip about that,” he added. “This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: ‘How do we keep other players from playing these games?’ We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I’ll also say in the model—I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means.”

Phil shared his expectations of how the console launch will go:

“I think we’ll sell every unit of both of them that we can deliver,” he said, referring to this first holiday season. Microsoft isn’t releasing estimates of how many units they’ll ship of either device this year, but he expects them to go fast. “I think demand is just going to outstrip supply of pre-orders. For us and PlayStation, I think that the manufacturing supply chain is going to dictate [market] share more than anything else.”

And then?

“I think, over the generation, our expectation would be that price really matters and that you would see the Series S sell more,” Spencer told me.

A link to the rest of the article.

https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-phil-spencer-on-series-x-launch-halo-infinit-1845392984

Around the Network

“I don’t want to be flip about that,” he added. “This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: ‘How do we keep other players from playing these games?’ We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games."

He won't be taking any games away from players. The Sony player base will just play those games on their gaming PC's. Adding 120 million Sony player base now to the Xbox ecosystem should be very profitable for them. They will recoup that 7.5 billion very quickly.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

“Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

Its gonna take awhile to recoupe those 7,5$ bn USD, if your cutting out part of sales potential.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 17 October 2020

JRPGfan said:

“Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.
“Yes,” Spe...........................edited.

I realized you edited.  I will remove my responses out of courtesy.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 17 October 2020

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
JRPGfan said:

Goes to google "bethesda game studios revenue"
Result:

"Bethesda Softworks LLC has 75 total employees across all of its locations and generates $10.30 million in sales (USD)."

Its gonna take awhile to recoupe those 7,5$ billion USD.

Is there some easy way to get a idea of how much profits the company makes?
My first thought was I must have made a mistake or something, because it seems way to low.

Could be a case of me googleing the wrong thing? or misunderstanding the results or trusting a random googleing to provide easy to understand numbers.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
DroidKnight said:

edit

My first thought was I must have made a mistake or something, because it seems way to low.

I think you are underestimating how large (what is being referred to as the Bethesda acquisition) it actually was. 

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 17 October 2020

If MSFT was serious about restricting games, then they should have started with Minecraft.

DroidKnight said:
JRPGfan said:

I think you are underestimating how large (what is being referred to as the Bethesda acquisition) it actually was. 

I know bethesda is just part of Zenimax Online.... the parent company or whatever.

However again if you google "zenimax online revenue" the 1st results are:

"ZeniMax Online Studios's estimated annual revenue is currently $81.4M per year."

I guess if your planning like 20+ years down the line, you might eventually reoupe the investment.

JRPGfan said:
DroidKnight said:

I know bethesda is just part of Zenimax Online.... the parent company or whatever.

However again if you google "zenimax online revenue" the 1st results are:

"ZeniMax Online Studios's estimated annual revenue is currently $81.4M per year."

I guess if your planning like 20+ years down the line, you might eventually reoupe the investment.

KEKW thats ESO

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Jumpinbeans said:
If MSFT was serious about restricting games, then they should have started with Minecraft.

I believe they will going forward.  By the time they had acquired Mojang for 2.5 billion, Minecraft had already been released on PS4 consoles.  Minecraft dungeons was not part of the original acquisition, it wasn't even a thing yet.  Releasing Minecraft dungeons multi-plat took advantage of an already existing consumer base for its product.  There is no PS5 player base yet and so I think Microsoft will have some decisions to make going forward.