By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Teardown Video

Otter said:
What happens if i dont both with that stand and just lay it on its side?

Promise not to tell anybody, but I hear it will basically cause Earth's electromagnetic fields to destabilize, causing Mothra to rise from it's slumber. But you can test it: take any piece of consumer electronics, like a computer, and turn it on it's side. If you don't block air vents, nothing visible will happen, but if you listen closely, you can hear Mothra start moving deep below the Earth.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Blood_Tears said:

If you need an engineering degree to remove one simple screw then I don't think the console is the problem here. 

Point is, the console is way over-designed. It should be nothing more than tipping it to the side. It's a shit design. Worse than Bray Wyatt's goofy mask.

it is truly fascinating how different opinions can be. you seem to have hated the ps5 design, i on the other hand loved the design. I see beauty and differentiation ... you see "over-design".

How interesting to see variety of opinions.

Conina said:
Leynos said:

Point is, the console is way over-designed. It should be nothing more than tipping it to the side. It's a shit design. Worse than Bray Wyatt's goofy mask.

The disc version seems to have a much more stable base:

Good that I want the disc version.

A fan fixed this monstrosity with a little PS. This is all Sony had to do

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Looks great!. Too bad they didn't go that way for the disc version

Leynos said:
Conina said:

I'm sure a third party will do exactly this.  Meanwhile SONY made a look they wanted to make.  Plenty of us like how it looks, if not necessarily the colors that can and will be quickly fixed. 

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

That thing is a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY.

What surprised me more is their ballsy move of using Liquid Metal A lot of things can go wrong with the application.. Although they're not the first manufacturer to ship units with LM, but this is a very welcoming change. Now it makes more sense as to why people were saying the system was super quiet. Better TIM means and a capable cooling solution should mean it doesn't need to ramp up the fans too much.

Also that foam barrier is a page taken out of the laptop overclockers. I was planning to do this on an Alienware 17 R5 2 years ago but it was difficult to find a good foam to use since you can't have it too porous otherwise the potential LM beads will slip through and short your board. You also can't have it to stiff otherwise it will push up the IHS and shit mounting pressure will screw your setup.

Now if they use a good quality Nickel plated IHS and the procedures of application is very good, this thing will last the console's lifetime. If Sony succeeds, here's hoping more manufacturers make this a standard and portal devices like gaming phones and the Nintento Switch follow suit. The latter is a pipe dream since portable devices have inconsistent mounting pressures and gets jostled around too much which could cause failure.

dharh said:
Leynos said:

I'm sure a third party will do exactly this.  Meanwhile SONY made a look they wanted to make.  Plenty of us like how it looks, if not necessarily the colors that can and will be quickly fixed. 

It's not the color I am posting.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Conina said:

I was going to be ignoring what you were saying... as well, it's your opinion. But you are talking like everyone has a problem with the design especially calling it "bad design" simply because it doesn't fit what you think it should look like. I actually like it. More so the digital version which is what I preordered). And there are a lot of people that like it too.

I also think you are making to much of a fuss about a screw, it's only needed for when the consoles in the vertical position. Not when its in the horizontal position. The stand also has a functional purpose, it keeps the console off the surface it's on even when its in its horizontal position. Something that was probably necessitated due o the volume of air it sucks in from the side (or top if vertical).

And you also make it sound like every time you turn on the damn thing you would have to take it out of a closet first or something. You set it up once, and chances are you will not be touching it again for years, and even if you are, the stand will stick to it even when you are moving it around. This is just a silly thing to take issue with.

Leynos said:
dharh said:

It's not the color I am posting.

And I'm saying a third party _can_ make a replacement panel flat like that.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

SvennoJ said:
Otter said:
What happens if i dont both with that stand and just lay it on its side?

Probably this

You could put a small block on the right if you want it horizontal

Honestly, I see no problem with the top image. As long as it still works properly and the plastic case can support its weight, I'll be doing this lol 

Last edited by Otter - on 08 October 2020