By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 big the biggest leap gaming has yet to see?

Don’t know if this was already mentioned because forgive me for not reading all the dimension stuff in here to the letter, and I’m not exactly going to argue along with this, but the fact that the right paddle in Pong is to the right of the left paddle in Pong while there’s also stuff above and below is already proof enough that it’s a 2D game.

Anyway.

OT: No, of course not. Minor enhancements in the way a picture is rendered on the screen, a picture which was already possible (it’s possible to render a building in the 8th gen that looks pretty much the same as in the 9th gen at a glance), isn’t the same improvement as going to a completely new way to play games (3D, free roaming control, first person, you name it), like when we went from 4th to 5th.

Around the Network

If bigger leap means more pixel on screen than previous gen. That's about it. Same controllers, same shoot games, same car games, same sports games. On and on.

The bigger change this generation will bring is the reduction or elimination of loading times. Which is incredibly ironic, since that is something we already had in the past. So the biggest innovation... is just the industry saying: "Hey guys, remember how in the cartridge era loading times didn't exist? Well, it's been almot 30 years, but we finally got back on track" xD

Biggest leap? By what metric?

There hasn't been a "big leap", imo, since PS1/N64 to PS2/GC. And even that wasn't a MASSIVE leap.

The only MASSIVE leap was 16 bit to 32 bit/3D era. And even then, that's debatable, because 3D games aren't "better" than 2D games. Just different.

Here is an example of a 1D "videogame" for all those debating the issue. I remember seeing this at some game show event in person a few years back. It's called Line Wobbler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j8YAAcBU8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Conina said:

Please stop with your stupid definitions/exaggerations. No Atari game was a one-dimensional game. Every game with graphics is at least 2D.

You have a weird definition of 2D.  If I control a dot, that is 1D.  If I can only move left or right, then that is 1D.  You know what 1D is right?

I bet you don't consider SNES games with parallax scrolling to be 3D, even though the background looks 3D.  In order to be 3D, the whole game has to be 3D.  It's the same on the Atari 2600.  The games aren't really 2D.  They are 1D.

Also, I am curious if you agree with me that the biggest transition in gaming was from Generation 2 to 3.  Are disagreeing with this point, or are you just trying to distract from my main point?

Do you know what 1D is? It's a line from left to right, width but no height. Atari 2600 games fill a flat screen on the x and y axis regardless of their simplistic square sprites. It is therefore 2D graphics. I've seen you post crazy shit on here before. You're mental aren't you lol.

Parallax scrolling was simulated depth, where as polygonal games actually have 3D data and exist in a real 3D space. 2600 doesn't simulate 2D, it is by definition 2D. So this analogy is dog shit haha. you daft

Edit- User was banned for this post.

JWeincom

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 08 October 2020

The_Liquid_Laser said:
JWeinCom said:

"Heh, you really want to tear this whole 1D/2D thing apart with a fine toothed comb."

No, I really don't.

There's a picture of pong. The image of the paddles and the ball all have size and therefore are not zero dimensional. They all have length and width and are not one dimensional.

We can be sure they have at least two dimensions. That's as far as we need to go to disprove your claim. If you want to argue that they are actually three dimensional, you'd have to demonstrate that they have depth, and I'm not sure how we'd do that.

Whether 3D images can be displayed on a flat plane is a more complex question, but if we can't get definitions on points, line segments, and rectangles down, I'm not gonna go there.

Heh, you may not have read my original point, so let me go back to that.  I'm saying the transition from Generation 2 to 3 is the biggest.  The reasons are

1) Graphics - Transition from dots and sticks to actual 2D shapes like Mario and Link.  Of course if I call these dots and sticks 1D, then everyone has a hissy fit, but my point is that a character like Mario on NES has a hell of a lot more graphical depth than Pitfall on Atari 2600.
2) NES games had music.  Most Atari 2600 games did not.
3) Most Atari games had gameplay that was score-based, like arcade games, while NES games came to be about getting to the end of the game.
4) This change in gameplay lead to the downfall of the arcade.

This was my original point as it pertains to the topic of this thread.  For some reason people seem to really want to focus on the first point and I don't know why.

But to try to clarify with respect to 1D/2D or 2D/3D, my point is that people don't have any problem calling Generation 5 the 3D Generation even though there are lots of aspects that aren't really 3D.  I was using an analogy to show how early gaming went from 1D to eventually 2D on the NES, but at that point several people (including yourself) got very rigid about what 1D had to be even though people aren't terribly rigid with how they define 3D on the PS1 or N64.  A line segment is a one dimensional shape and early gaming was full of line segments.  Once we got to the NES, we stopped seeing line segments.

Lmao. No it's just that you're coming up with arbitrary definitions for everything and there's just no need. You could have just said Atari uses very simplistic graphics compared to NES so it was a huge jump, but you decided to like invent this weird definition for what you call a "1D" game.

The paddles in pong have both width and length. It's 2 pixels wide and several long. It's simplistic for sure, but regardless, it's a 2D object. Also the ball moves in many directions on a 2D plane. Then there's the numbers on the scoreboard. They can't exist in 1 dimension, physics just won't allow it, know what I mean though?

Though I do agree from a 'what you see on screen' point of view, that the jump from Atari 2600 to NES was one of the biggest.

Also, don't developers claim this like every generation?
I could've sworn they said the jump from PS3/360 to PS4/Xbone would be the biggest ever, yet it's easily the smallest so far to my perception.

Going from N64/PS1 games to Halo, Soul Calibur, and Rogue Squadron II, or from PS2/Xbox/GC games to Gears of War, now that was a massive leap.

HoloDust said:

As long as I remember gaming there were 3D games, sure they were vector based at first, but lot of my dearest gaming memories from 80s come from ZX, C64 and Amiga and those 3D vector or flat shaded polygonal games.

At the end of the 80's (or very early 90's) I bought a C64-collection with Castle Master 1 + 2, Driller and Total Eclipse and played them with ~1 fps:

It was an awesome teaser for the technical development of the next years.

d21lewis said:

After reading this thread, I now understand why some people believe the earth is flat and it scares the fuck out of me.

heh says the one twittering once again

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.