By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 big the biggest leap gaming has yet to see?

We will only get a big leap again when AR or VR become a thing, or at least is the only leap I see on the horizon

The last big leap on gaming was the advent of internet multiplayer. This dramatically changed how people make and play games, which is not even a console gaming innovation as it started on PCs

Graphic advance is useless if it doesn't change gaming experience, so far new generation games looks like prettier versions of PS4/XBONE games with shorter loading times

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Hynad said:

I didn’t miss anything. I corrected you when you downplayed what the Ratchet and Clank game on PS4 is. Which is a remake/reimagining, not a remaster like Dark Souls Remastered, or the Master Chief Collection, or the Uncharted Collection.

Well for starters, do you actually think by starting a conversation with the word "Trolling" and calling someone a "dumbass" is a way to start a decent convo? If so, than you might actually have bigger problems.

Firstly i used the term Remaster as the first thing to come to mind, i have never seen anyone call the game Ratchet and Clank Re-Imagining or what ever mambo jumbo you like to use to describe it. It was nothing more than an example. The fact you took offense to that because someone didn't match the Remake, Remaster, Re-Imagining, Reboot and Re-bbqlollgbtq+ term over a video game topic is pretty sad in my opinion, but ill digress.

But if you want me to address your point, the gap between current and next gen can’t be properly gauged until the launch and cross-gen period is over. Launch games are usually rushed or don’t share the same [lenghty] production period as titles that come later during the gen.

You would have a point IF Mario 64 wasn't a launch title for the N64. All games improve over the time of a generation, this is nothing new. All gens are the same in this regard. 

And while your picture of Ratchet makes both look quite similar, a closer look shows that there are quite a bit more details in the model, despite it being a cartoon character.

That's not the point that is being made here. Of course their is improvements, that's expected. No one is denying that the comparison doesn't look better between PS4 and PS5.

Would you say there’s barely any leap between Wii’s Super Mario Galaxy and the Switch’s Super Mario Odyssey because Mario still looks mostly the same?

This isn't about Ratchet and Clank, It was just an example. Use any example you like. Only reason i used Ratchet and Clank is because its one main franchise that came to mind that has a PS4 and a PS5 game. Want me to use Spiderman? The results will be the same.

That would be disingenuous, don’t you think? Because while the cartoon character who now appears on systems that can render it mostly as well as in its CGI renders, the rest of the visual fidelity and effects going on at once in the screen have improved quite a bit between the Wii games and the Switch.

Than you basically agree with my point that next gen leap wont be bigger than the transition to 2D to 3D. Especially Cartoon characters which have basically reach their peak, looking better starts to look minor hence my entire post and comparisons used.

So, sure, Ratchet still looks like Ratchet (even though its rendering has improved gen over gen), but the rest of what goes on around him have leaped forward quite a lot from the PS4 game to the PS5s. And things will only get better from there as the gen goes on.

So the bottom line is, does it look like a bigger jump from 2D to 3D? No. Seems like it isn't.. yet. That's not a bad thing either, its just a hard thing to surpass such a revolutionary transition.

Answers in BALD above.

My opinion, i expect the same games with better graphics, similar to the gen before this, to the gen before that. That's just my expectation. My mind will still be blown away by upcoming titles however from what i have seen so far, nothing shown right now looks like it cannot be done on current hardware. Its a lot different to Mario 64 running on the SNES hardware, it just simply couldn't be done before. Its why its not comparable.

First, history has put into doubt that there can be a decent convo with someone as one-sided as you are when it comes to PlayStation.

Second: https://insomniac.games/game/ratchet-and-clank-ps4/

Ratchet & Clank blasts onto PlayStation 4 for the first time, with a new game based on elements from the original Ratchet & Clank(PS2). Ratchet & Clank (PS4) re-imagines the characters’ origin stories and modernizes the original gameplay. Featuring all-new boss fights, several new planets, new flight sequences, and much more – with completely new visuals constructed to take advantage of the power of the PS4.

Produced alongside the major motion picture coming to theatres in 2016, Ratchet & Clank (PS4) is a curated experience borrowing from the spirit of the classic PS2 titles while infusing some of the best elements from the Ratchet & Clank Future games. Return to the Solana Galaxy and find all your favorite characters: Ratchet, Clank, Captain Qwark and super villain Chairman Drek, as well as many new ones in this third-person action-adventure platformer. Explore exotic planets, collect out-of-this-world weapons, and help Ratchet and Clank save the galaxy for the first time, again.

Third: Take Halo, Uncharted 1, Ridge Racer, etc, and compare them with their late gen counterparts or games of the same type. The last two gens showed an even bigger gap due to having much more titles being cross-gen, meaning they were produced using engines that were tailor-made to exploit the prior generation rather than the new one. You will see this again a lot with the games releasing in the first year of gen 9.

Lastly: I wasn’t disagreeing with anyone who points out the biggest [felt] jump was when consoles went from 2D to polygonal graphics. The only thing I addressed and put into question was your comparison that focused on Ratchet, a cartoon character, that you used to somehow illustrate a lack of a big jump between both consoles.

Hynad said:

First, history has put into doubt that there can be a decent convo with someone as one-sided as you are when it comes to PlayStation.

Ratchet & Clank blasts onto PlayStation 4 for the first time, with a new game based on elements from the original Ratchet & Clank(PS2). Ratchet & Clank (PS4) re-imagines the characters’ origin stories and modernizes the original gameplay. Featuring all-new boss fights, several new planets, new flight sequences, and much more – with completely new visuals constructed to take advantage of the power of the PS4.

Produced alongside the major motion picture coming to theatres in 2016, Ratchet & Clank (PS4) is a curated experience borrowing from the spirit of the classic PS2 titles while infusing some of the best elements from the Ratchet & Clank Future games. Return to the Solana Galaxy and find all your favorite characters: Ratchet, Clank, Captain Qwark and super villain Chairman Drek, as well as many new ones in this third-person action-adventure platformer. Explore exotic planets, collect out-of-this-world weapons, and help Ratchet and Clank save the galaxy for the first time, again.

Third: Take Halo, Uncharted 1, Ridge Racer, etc, and compare them with their late gen counterparts or games of the same type. The last two gens showed an even bigger gap due to having much more titles being cross-gen, meaning they were produced using engines that were tailor-made to exploit the prior generation rather than the new one. You will see this again a lot with the games releasing in the first year of gen 9.

Lastly: I wasn’t disagreeing with anyone who points out the biggest [felt] jump was when consoles went from 2D to polygonal graphics. The only thing I addressed and put into question was your comparison that focused on Ratchet, a cartoon character, that you used to somehow illustrate a lack of a big jump between both consoles.

Firstly: History shows (YOU) cannot maintain a decent conversation since you are the aggressor in the reply, stating Trolling and calling someone a dumbass is enough proof  right their. You want to go by history, i wouldn't be talking.

Second: This isn't about Playstation, get off your high horse. It was an example. The fact you took it as an attempt of trolling proves your unstable manner in the conversation. The fact you had to go on calling someone a dumbass shortly afterwards, shows your intellect in a debate over a petty misuse of a subtitle. How about just reply with a civil answer next time. Might make conversations with you more serious.

Third: I am not denying the improvements from generation to generation. If you actually paid attention to the examples i used, instead of trying to flame someone, you would see my point. What we have currently seen from 9th gen isn't exactly impossible to run on 8th gen. What we saw from Mario 64 cannot be replicated on the SNES. That's how much of a leap the jump from 2D to 3D was.

Lastly: Please read into someones post before jumping straight to generalizing and shaming.

Azzanation said:
Hynad said:

Firstly: History shows (YOU) cannot maintain a decent conversation since you are the aggressor in the reply, stating Trolling and calling someone a dumbass is enough proof  right their. You want to go by history, i wouldn't be talking.

Second: This isn't about Playstation, get off your high horse. It was an example. The fact you took it as an attempt of trolling proves your unstable manner in the conversation. The fact you had to go on calling someone a dumbass shortly afterwards, shows your intellect in a debate over a petty misuse of a subtitle. How about just reply with a civil answer next time. Might make conversations with you more serious.

Third: I am not denying the improvements from generation to generation. If you actually paid attention to the examples i used, instead of trying to flame someone, you would see my point. What we have currently seen from 9th gen isn't exactly impossible to run on 8th gen. What we saw from Mario 64 cannot be replicated on the SNES. That's how much of a leap the jump from 2D to 3D was.

Lastly: Please read into someones post before jumping straight to generalizing and shaming.

Clearly in denial about what I pointed out about your bias, which is that you have a known history of downplaying PS in favour of MS and Nintendo. That’s a widespread known fact and makes it difficult to take your stance on anything PS related seriously. Regardless of what you’re trying to convey, what you project will more often than not be interpreted as negative because of that history. Contrast this with my history of [clearly] defending PS but without feeling the need to downplay the other brands in the topics I take a part in... So, if in this here case, this wasn’t your intention, I apologize for my mention of the word dumbass. And sure, I have a history of not offering much patience to most people around here.

Now, visibly, you got stuck on the first part of my last comment and couldn’t let it go for the remainder of your comment. But in the end, your whole comment and especially your third paragraph is display enough that you shouldn’t have written your fourth point.

Last edited by Hynad - on 13 October 2020

Around the Network

It did take a while for PS3 and 360 to really show what they could do, maybe the same will apply for PS5 and Xbox Series. Stuff like Hellblade II and the next God of War might end up being this coming generation's Gears of War/Uncharted moment.

On the other hand, other systems like, say, PS4, Xbone, Gamecube, etc showed their muscle from the get go and didn't massively improve over their best looking early games. Remains to be seen which PS5/XS will be, but given their tech is still fairly new I'm gonna be optimistic.

curl-6 said:

It did take a while for PS3 and 360 to really show what they could do, maybe the same will apply for PS5 and Xbox Series. Stuff like Hellblade II and the next God of War might end up being this coming generation's Gears of War/Uncharted moment.

On the other hand, other systems like, say, PS4, Xbone, Gamecube, etc showed their muscle from the get go and didn't massively improve over their best looking early games. Remains to be seen which PS5/XS will be, but given their tech is still fairly new I'm gonna be optimistic.

I’d argue that the step from Uncharted 4 (even though it’s still a very good looking game) to The Last of Us 2, or even God of War is quite big. And console launch games like Assassin’s Creed IV, Killzone: ShadowFall, Call of Duty: Ghosts look miles behind similar games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2, Titanfall 2 or Doom Eternal.

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

I’d argue that the step from Uncharted 4 (even thought it’s still a very good looking game) to The Last of Us 2, or even God of War is quite big. And console launch games like Assassin’s Creed IV, Killzone: ShadowFall, Call of Duty: Ghosts look miles behind similar games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2, Titanfall 2 or Doom Eternal.

Don't get me wrong, there was still definitely noticeable and significant improvement, I just wouldn't call anything on PS4 a "massive" improvement over Shadowfall which I think still looks great today despite being a launch title. (Same with Ryse on Xbone)

curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

I’d argue that the step from Uncharted 4 (even thought it’s still a very good looking game) to The Last of Us 2, or even God of War is quite big. And console launch games like Assassin’s Creed IV, Killzone: ShadowFall, Call of Duty: Ghosts look miles behind similar games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2, Titanfall 2 or Doom Eternal.

Don't get me wrong, there was still definitely noticeable and significant improvement, I just wouldn't call anything on PS4 a "massive" improvement over Shadowfall which I think still looks great today despite being a launch title. (Same with Ryse on Xbone)

They still look good, thanks in huge part to their art design, but both are plagued with technical issues, low res assets/rendering, and the likes. Aspects that aren’t found or at least not nearly as prevalent in late gen releases.

Sure enough, we’re constantly going towards that fabled point of diminishing-return, but you and I are both among those who notice the finer aspects of graphics building blocks, so I am sure you’ll notice how big of a gap it is between the two generations when games that exploit all those extra ressources finally come out. 

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

They still look good, thanks in huge part to their art design, but both are plagued with technical issues, low res assets/rendering, and the likes. Aspects that aren’t found or at least not nearly as prevalent in late gen releases.

Sure enough, we’re constantly going towards that fabled point of diminishing-return, but you and I are both among those who notice the finer aspects of graphics building blocks, so I am sure you’ll notice how big of a gap it is between the two generations when games that exploit all those extra ressources finally come out. 

I think with the PS4 part of it was that it was using tech that was basically proven and off the shelf, so while software techniques did evolve over the generation, it was quite easy to exploit the hardware's potential right from the start. PS5/XS are using tech that is comparatively newer and less proven, which does suggest we'll see big improvements over the early games shown so far.

The likes of Naughty Dog and Santa Monica reliably work miracles with the hardware they're given, and Ninja Theory managed to make Hellblade 1 look  amazing on current gen, so once those guys start putting out next gen exclusives we should see what the hardware can really do.