By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 big the biggest leap gaming has yet to see?

RolStoppable said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

No, I am being perfectly honest.  The biggest mistake I've made is that I misjudged how much (or little) people understand geometry.

A square has an interior, and so does a rectangle.  That is why the objects in Pong are not 2D.  The controls are clearly not 2D either.  Gaming started out as purely 1D in the sense that the graphics and controls were purely in 1D.

Here is a quick geometry lesson.  Go ask any mathematician and you may be shocked that they tell you the exact same thing.

0 Dimensional - a point (a dot)
1 Dimensional - part of a line; a line segment (a stick)
2 Dimensional - part of a plane; often polygons (especially in video games).  Two dimensional shapes have a one dimensional border like a line segment or a curve.  This defines the two dimensional interior.
3 Dimensional - part of space, often polyhedrons (especially in video games).  Three dimensional shapes have two dimensional borders such polygons.  These borders define the three dimensional interior.  When you see calculations about number of polygons rendered they are talking about the exterior of a shape.  More polygons enables more smoothness and definition.

So if you look at Pong, Generation 1, it is limited by 1D graphics and controls.  It is just two line segments (1D) hitting a dot (0D), and you can only move up or down (1D).  This is very similar to how the NES is limited by 2D graphics and controls.  There isn't much 1D or 3D in NES games.  It as pure 2D as you can get. (Some late games had parallax scrolling.  That's about it.)  The SNES is also considered a 2D system, but it is starting to push the envelope into 3D: crude games like Star Fox, character models like Donkey Kong, and tons and tons of parallax scrolling.  It's trying to push into 3D, but it's still very limited to fundamentally 2D graphics and controls.  The Atari 2600 is very much like this with respect to 1D.  It really is trying to push into 2D, probably even more than the SNES is pushing into 3D, but so many games are limited to line segments and dots, 1 dimensional graphics.  There are also plenty of games where you can only move left or right, 1 dimensional controls.  It's trying hard to be 2D, but there are still lots of 1D limitations on the games.

Graphics are not really 2D until you have an interior though.  One big reason that Dragon Quest became popular was because of the art of Akira Toriyama, who also created Dragon Ball.  The NES was the first system where his art could have been relevant.  NES characters had an interior and that allowed him to make all of those Dragon Quest creatures that are still used today.  His art would have been wasted on a system like the Atari 2600 where the characters do not have an interior, and he would most have had to work with something like stick figures or other crude shapes.  Graphically, an interior is a very important distinction.

A friend of mine is a mathematician, so I showed him your post. He had a good laugh.

A square with a black outline and a black interior is just as much of a square as a square with black outline and white interior.

Really, what was his specialty?

Around the Network
Conina said:
SvennoJ said:
I keep reading 2D to 3D was the biggest transition. However when was that transition? We had 3D vector graphics games, Battlezone 1980 vector graphics, I Robot 1984 polygons, Wolfenstein 3D 1992 had textures, Descent 1994 was 6DoF, and we still have very successful 2D games.

So what is considered to be the transition to 3D?

3d-acceleration hardware which allowed to push much much more polygons. So PS1, N64, Saturn, 3DFx, combined with 3d-APIs like Direct3D, OpenGl, Glide.

Most 3d-games before that were experimental.

Quake and Unreal were experimental? They ran better with software rendering, or rather it looked better, than with one of the early GPUs.
Did PS1 have any 3D acceleration? It had a general co-processor that could be used for that.

3D games are still experimental, now venturing into ray-tracing!

The_Liquid_Laser said:
JWeinCom said:

"Heh, you really want to tear this whole 1D/2D thing apart with a fine toothed comb."

No, I really don't.

There's a picture of pong. The image of the paddles and the ball all have size and therefore are not zero dimensional. They all have length and width and are not one dimensional.

We can be sure they have at least two dimensions. That's as far as we need to go to disprove your claim. If you want to argue that they are actually three dimensional, you'd have to demonstrate that they have depth, and I'm not sure how we'd do that.

Whether 3D images can be displayed on a flat plane is a more complex question, but if we can't get definitions on points, line segments, and rectangles down, I'm not gonna go there.

Heh, you may not have read my original point, so let me go back to that.  I'm saying the transition from Generation 2 to 3 is the biggest.  The reasons are

1) Graphics - Transition from dots and sticks to actual 2D shapes like Mario and Link.  Of course if I call these dots and sticks 1D, then everyone has a hissy fit, but my point is that a character like Mario on NES has a hell of a lot more graphical depth than Pitfall on Atari 2600.
2) NES games had music.  Most Atari 2600 games did not.
3) Most Atari games had gameplay that was score-based, like arcade games, while NES games came to be about getting to the end of the game.
4) This change in gameplay lead to the downfall of the arcade.

This was my original point as it pertains to the topic of this thread.  For some reason people seem to really want to focus on the first point and I don't know why.

But to try to clarify with respect to 1D/2D or 2D/3D, my point is that people don't have any problem calling Generation 5 the 3D Generation even though there are lots of aspects that aren't really 3D.  I was using an analogy to show how early gaming went from 1D to eventually 2D on the NES, but at that point several people (including yourself) got very rigid about what 1D had to be even though people aren't terribly rigid with how they define 3D on the PS1 or N64.  A line segment is a one dimensional shape and early gaming was full of line segments.  Once we got to the NES, we stopped seeing line segments.

You're original point is fine. I don't necessarily agree (I'd have to think on it more), but it's a defensible position. Audio is a part I really hadn't considered, so that's a solid point at least.

The thing is, if you say something sensible and then something that's really out there like pong balls being zero dimensional, people are going to focus on the wacky part, particularly if you keep defending it. 

The reason people are less rigid about 3D gaming is because it's a much trickier concept. In Minecraft for instance, I can make an object and can describe its depth. Me and my friend can each make a block cube in Minecraft, and we can compare which one has more volume. I can instruct someone how to construct something in Minecraft by describing its dimensions in terms of length, width, and depth, at least by using informal units of measurements. I can say a cube is 3 blocks long, 3 blocks wide, and 3 blocks deep.

So, the question is whether my Minecraft cube is actually a 3D image that's being displayed on a 2D screen, or is it a 2D image that is being made to appear 3D with visual trickery. If it is 2D, and if I have two versions of the same image and put them side by side, is it now 3D even though it's really the same thing?

Those are complex questions that don't really have an easy answer.

By comparison, whether or not the paddles in pong is 1D is a very easy question. It has length, width, and area. No.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 07 October 2020

Seems like the smallest upgrade I've ever seen so far. Changes should be noticable from 50 feet away, with your peripheral vision, not when you are staring at a still image comparison between last gen and this gen, only a few feet away and looking directly at it. I can hardly see differences even when I do that.

JWeinCom said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Heh, you may not have read my original point, so let me go back to that.  I'm saying the transition from Generation 2 to 3 is the biggest.  The reasons are

1) Graphics - Transition from dots and sticks to actual 2D shapes like Mario and Link.  Of course if I call these dots and sticks 1D, then everyone has a hissy fit, but my point is that a character like Mario on NES has a hell of a lot more graphical depth than Pitfall on Atari 2600.
2) NES games had music.  Most Atari 2600 games did not.
3) Most Atari games had gameplay that was score-based, like arcade games, while NES games came to be about getting to the end of the game.
4) This change in gameplay lead to the downfall of the arcade.

This was my original point as it pertains to the topic of this thread.  For some reason people seem to really want to focus on the first point and I don't know why.

But to try to clarify with respect to 1D/2D or 2D/3D, my point is that people don't have any problem calling Generation 5 the 3D Generation even though there are lots of aspects that aren't really 3D.  I was using an analogy to show how early gaming went from 1D to eventually 2D on the NES, but at that point several people (including yourself) got very rigid about what 1D had to be even though people aren't terribly rigid with how they define 3D on the PS1 or N64.  A line segment is a one dimensional shape and early gaming was full of line segments.  Once we got to the NES, we stopped seeing line segments.

You're original point is fine. I don't necessarily agree (I'd have to think on it more), but it's a defensible position. Audio is a part I really hadn't considered, so that's a solid point at least.

The thing is, if you say something sensible and then something that's really out there like pong balls being zero dimensional, people are going to focus on the wacky part, particularly if you keep defending it. 

The reason people are less rigid about 3D gaming is because it's a much trickier concept. In Minecraft for instance, I can make an object and can describe its depth. Me and my friend can each make a block cube in Minecraft, and we can compare which one has more volume. I can instruct someone how to construct something in Minecraft by describing its dimensions in terms of length, width, and depth, at least by using informal units of measurements. I can say a cube is 3 blocks long, 3 blocks wide, and 3 blocks deep.

So, the question is whether my Minecraft cube is actually a 3D image that's being displayed on a 2D screen, or is it a 2D image that is being made to appear 3D with visual trickery. If it is 2D, and if I have two versions of the same image and put them side by side, is it now 3D even though it's really the same thing?

By comparison, whether or not the paddles in pong is 1D is a very easy question. It has length, width, and area. No.

"The thing is, if you say something sensible and then something that's really out there like pong balls being zero dimensional, people are going to focus on the wacky part, particularly if you keep defending it."

I didn't know it was wacky when I said it, and I still don't think it is.  I think it is more that people don't really understand geometry.  Or perhaps they don't realize that when something is called "2D" or "3D", then only parts of it behave that way?  At any rate it is probably a breakdown in communication.

"The reason people are less rigid about 3D gaming is because it's a much trickier concept."

It only seems trickier, because you think it is trickier.  It's not that 2D is straightforward.  The truth is that all of this stuff 1D/2D/3D/4D is tricky.  Games aren't reality.  They are all simulating reality in some way (some more than others).  There are plenty of games called "2D" that have 3D aspects.  And there are even more games called "3D" that have 2D aspects.  A lot of early games have 1D aspects.  However, if I point this out, it's treated like an illegal move or something.

"So, the question is whether my Minecraft cube is actually a 3D image that's being displayed on a 2D screen, or is it a 2D image that is being made to appear 3D with visual trickery. If it is 2D, and if I have two versions of the same image and put them side by side, is it now 3D even though it's really the same thing?"

It is more a matter of perspective.  Without a 3DS or VR, then the cube is actually 2D and the 3D is an illusion to our eyes.  However, according to the game's internal logic, the cube is 3D.  Probably a lot of that has to do with collision detection and such, but also the game is trying to draw the cube as if it were 3D.  This is why a certain level of processing power is need to for so called 3D games.  Because the computer treats these objects like are 3D regardless of what they look like to our eyes.  All of this processing power, at first, seems to be for the computers benefit.

However, that also seems to be what players care about most.  Does the computer treat the objects like they are 3D?  The 3DS screen isn't what matters.  And for core gamers they prefer an analogue stick to the true 3D controls of the Wii remote.  It's the internal logic of the game that seems to matter the most.  If the computer treats everything like you are in a 3D world, then you feel like you are in a 3D world.

So, there are also games out there where the internal logic is 2D and others where it is 1D.  There are even games, like Zaxxon, where the logic is 3D, but it probably appears like a 2D game in other aspects.  Pong is a game where at least some of the logic is 1D though.  The paddles only move in one dimension.  And there isn't any complexity to the shapes, a dot and a couple of sticks.  If that is 2D, then it is even less complex than Star Fox is as a 3D game.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 07 October 2020

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

You have a weird definition of 2D.  If I control a dot, that is 1D.  If I can only move left or right, then that is 1D.  You know what 1D is right?

I bet you don't consider SNES games with parallax scrolling to be 3D, even though the background looks 3D.  In order to be 3D, the whole game has to be 3D.  It's the same on the Atari 2600.  The games aren't really 2D.  They are 1D.

Also, I am curious if you agree with me that the biggest transition in gaming was from Generation 2 to 3.  Are disagreeing with this point, or are you just trying to distract from my main point?

Nope. The dot still has both a height and a width, therefore it's 2D.

1D isn't even possible.

Not entirely accurate.

1D in computer graphics/mathematics is a number line where each point can be represented by a single numeral.

2D in computer graphics is where you add width information to an object and often requires more than a single numeral.

3D in computer graphics adds depth information.

And we can even go further than that like 4D Vector and you even have 0D.

This chart showcases the differences rather well, much better than how some people (probably myself included) are trying to describe it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The_Liquid_Laser said:
JWeinCom said:

"The thing is, if you say something sensible and then something that's really out there like pong balls being zero dimensional, people are going to focus on the wacky part, particularly if you keep defending it."

I didn't know it was wacky when I said it, and I still don't think it is.  I think it is more that people don't really understand geometry.  Or perhaps they don't realize that when something is called "2D" or "3D", then only parts of it behave that way?  At any rate it is probably a breakdown in communication.

"The reason people are less rigid about 3D gaming is because it's a much trickier concept."

It only seems trickier, because you think it is trickier.  It's not that 2D is straightforward.  The truth is that all of this stuff 1D/2D/3D/4D is tricky.  Games aren't reality.  They are all simulating reality in some way (some more than others).  There are plenty of games called "2D" that have 3D aspects.  And there are even more games called "3D" that have 2D aspects.  A lot of early games have 1D aspects.  However, if I point this out, it's treated like an illegal move or something.

"So, the question is whether my Minecraft cube is actually a 3D image that's being displayed on a 2D screen, or is it a 2D image that is being made to appear 3D with visual trickery. If it is 2D, and if I have two versions of the same image and put them side by side, is it now 3D even though it's really the same thing?"

It is more a matter of perspective.  Without a 3DS or VR, then the cube is actually 2D and the 3D is an illusion to our eyes.  However, according to the game's internal logic, the cube is 3D.  Probably a lot of that has to do with collision detection and such, but also the game is trying to draw the cube as if it were 3D.  This is why a certain level of processing power is need to for so called 3D games.  Because the computer treats these objects like are 3D regardless of what they look like to our eyes.  All of this processing power, at first, seems to be for the computers benefit.

However, that also seems to be what players care about most.  Does the computer treat the objects like they are 3D?  The 3DS screen isn't what matters.  And for core gamers they prefer an analogue stick to the true 3D controls of the Wii remote.  It's the internal logic of the game that seems to matter the most.  If the computer treats everything like you are in a 3D world, then you feel like you are in a 3D world.

So, there are also games out there where the internal logic is 2D and others where it is 1D.  There are even games, like Zaxxon, where the logic is 3D, but it probably appears like a 2D game in other aspects.  Pong is a game where at least some of the logic is 1D though.  The paddles only move in one dimension.  And there isn't any complexity to the shapes, a dot and a couple of sticks.  If that is 2D, then it is even less complex than Star Fox is as a 3D game.

Well, I've explained it as best as I can. If you disagree, you disagree.

Only point I'll address cause it's bugging me is assertion that people prefer an analogue stick to true 3D controls. They don't. They prefer a controller with at least an analog stick and buttons, and usually a 2nd analog stick.

An analog stick would be terrible for manipulating objects in a 3D space, but as long as you have something else available to move the character up and down or forward and back, you can move in 3D. You can't do the kind of 1-1 3D motion a Wiimote can do, but not a ton of games used that.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 07 October 2020

I'm hoping this will be like the PS3/360 gen where early stuff didn't look like a huge leap, but soon enough the likes of Gears and Uncharted showed up and blew away those early games.

That UE5 demo showcased a bigger leap over current gen than between PS3/360 and PS4/Xbone in my opinion, but so far I haven't seen a single actual game come close to it.

SvennoJ said:
I keep reading 2D to 3D was the biggest transition. However when was that transition? We had 3D vector graphics games, Battlezone 1980 vector graphics, I Robot 1984 polygons, Wolfenstein 3D 1992 had textures, Descent 1994 was 6DoF, and we still have very successful 2D games.

So what is considered to be the transition to 3D?

I guess this is one of those very partially correct things like "Gaming market crashed in '83".

As long as I remember gaming there were 3D games, sure they were vector based at first, but lot of my dearest gaming memories from 80s come from ZX, C64 and Amiga and those 3D vector or flat shaded polygonal games. And then, on PC, from early 90s onward, games were  progresivelly more 3D based (Ultima Underworld had textures first, since CES 1990).

I guess, partial truth would be that console industry fully jumped to 3D ship in 4th to 5th gen transition, but mainstream industry is usually late to the party.

might be pretty big on the portable side if the switch pro gets DLSS and tensor cores.