Forums - Politics Discussion - NYT: Long-Concealed Records Show Trumpís Chronic Losses and Years of Tax Avoidance

NightlyPoe said:

Sadly, the real scandal here isn't even touched on. The president's private records were violated and then exposed for nakedly political purposes. Unfortunate that we don't live in an ethical enough time to even care about that.

I know right. It's even worse than the private emails of an entire party being hacked and released for nakedly political purposes by a foreign entity.

Unfortunate that we don't live in an ethical enough time to even care about that.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

This similar kind of political attack didn't work in 2016 so why should it matter now? Why would they bother? Trumps just going to point out the hypocrisy and scandals of his opposition and level the playing field. Pointing out they're all crooked makes these points moot, which Trump does. When questioned about his taxes by Hillary, he said he was being smart like other businessmen. She mostly ignored and blew off the email questions by Trump. I'm sure he'll also point out how he donates his Presidential salary since he couldn't legally refuse to accept payment for his position.

This tactic makes it so the only thing that really matters is what you're going to do for the country, and your political history in terms of what you've backed while in Gov. Using this tactic against lifelong politicians makes it much easier for Trump to look like the better choice, since he hadn't been part of it at all prior, and only has 4 years now when compared to close to 50 for Biden. Unless they have yet another offence as President that they can legitimately pin on him, throwing personal dirt at him won't help.



NightlyPoe said:
sundin13 said:

Oh, the horror. 

Trump should have released his taxes four years ago. I couldn't care less that they got leaked and if personal info on any of his opponents got leaked, you can bet your ass that he would be the first one waving it in the air. 

And Trump's a cretin.  What exactly is your excuse for cheering on a violation of a person's private records?

There are millions of injustices in this country worth giving a shit about. This is not one of them. 



NightlyPoe said:
sundin13 said:

There are millions of injustices in this country worth giving a shit about. This is not one of them. 

Of course this is one of them.  This invasion of privacy has been an unrelenting obsession for the left for over 4 years now.  It's sick and deranged, and worst of all, so utterly ubiquitous that hardly anyone even realizes how far off the deep end they've gone.

But according to Trump this report is false. It is Fake News.

If it is false then it is not an illegal invasion of privacy or an ethical lapse, merely a case of bad journalism and inaccurate reporting.

If it is true, then you can claim it is ethically dubious and someone may have committed a crime, but that also means the president has lied and is not the successful businessman he portrays himself as, and he also owes a lot of debt that would come due during a potential second term.

So which is it?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

iron_megalith said:

As he settled into the Oval Office, his tax bills soon returned to form. His potential taxable income in 2016 and 2017 included $24.8 million in profits from sources related to his celebrity status and $56.4 million for the loans he did not repay. The dreaded alternative minimum tax would let his business losses erase only some of his liability.

Each time, he requested an extension to file his 1040; and each time, he made the required payment to the I.R.S. for income taxes he might owe — $1 million for 2016 and $4.2 million for 2017. But virtually all of that liability was washed away when he eventually filed, and most of the payments were rolled forward to cover potential taxes in future years.

To cancel out the tax bills, Mr. Trump made use of $9.7 million in business investment credits, at least some of which related to his renovation of the Old Post Office hotel, which qualified for a historic-preservation tax break. Although he had more than enough credits to owe no taxes at all, his accountants appear to have carved out an allowance for a small tax liability for both 2016 and 2017.

When they got to line 56, the one for income taxes due, the amount was the same each year: $750.

Not an expert in taxes but this reads to me that he paid more than what he should. This and the part that he is potentially losing money during his presidency seems to debunk a lot of things that a conspiracy theorist like Rachel Maddow has been screaming in the airwaves for god knows how long.

Not really getting the "bomb shell" vibe here at all.

Now Obama actually being linked to the fiasco with Flynn, that's more incriminating than anything the left has done to Trump. That is actually bombshell in my opinion but the media has been quite silent.

If he is reporting losses... He has actually paid above... I'd need to read more into US tax but I don't care that much. Are there presidential concessions? Running his business at a loss but quite the growth of the economy and decrease of unemployment up until covid... Seems as though a personal sacrifice was made if anything.

Hell, he could simply be carrying forward the loss and have massive deductions waiting for him after his presidential run is complete.

Source to such a wild claim...? Me. Work for Australian tax office.

So basically....



Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Trump is an absolute crook.

Won't matter to his cult though.

Nothing in the article said Trump does anything illegal. I’m not a libertarian, but avoiding paying taxes to our corrupt deep state government is something I commend. Almost anyone who would be libertarian or for small government probably wouldn’t care either. If Trump uses loopholes that are legal what exactly is the problem? What makes you think these democrat career politicians that amassed millions of dollars during their tenure don’t do the same or worse. This is such a non issue and the best you can say is hur dur cult because you actually don’t have anything meaningful to say. Crook is what the democratic party represents. Stealing from generational wealth and middle America and giving to criminals, illegal aliens, and new immigrants disproportionately many of whom hate us and our country. 



The mental gymnastics has started!
"It's legal, hence it's okay"
"I am sure Trump has some dirt on his opponent, so it doesn't matter to me"
"The real scandal is exposing Trump's fraud!"



FormerlyTeamSilent13 said:
OTBWY said:
Trump is an absolute crook.

Won't matter to his cult though.

Nothing in the article said Trump does anything illegal. I’m not a libertarian, but avoiding paying taxes to our corrupt deep state government is something I commend. Almost anyone who would be libertarian or for small government probably wouldn’t care either. If Trump uses loopholes that are legal what exactly is the problem? What makes you think these democrat career politicians that amassed millions of dollars during their tenure don’t do the same or worse. This is such a non issue and the best you can say is hur dur cult because you actually don’t have anything meaningful to say. Crook is what the democratic party represents. Stealing from generational wealth and middle America and giving to criminals, illegal aliens, and new immigrants disproportionately many of whom hate us and our country. 

You need to stick to UK politics because you are clueless when it comes to US politics.  I'm guessing you get all your info from faux news.



FormerlyTeamSilent13 said:
OTBWY said:
Trump is an absolute crook.

Won't matter to his cult though.

Nothing in the article said Trump does anything illegal. I’m not a libertarian, but avoiding paying taxes to our corrupt deep state government is something I commend. Almost anyone who would be libertarian or for small government probably wouldn’t care either. If Trump uses loopholes that are legal what exactly is the problem? What makes you think these democrat career politicians that amassed millions of dollars during their tenure don’t do the same or worse. This is such a non issue and the best you can say is hur dur cult because you actually don’t have anything meaningful to say. Crook is what the democratic party represents. Stealing from generational wealth and middle America and giving to criminals, illegal aliens, and new immigrants disproportionately many of whom hate us and our country. 

"Nothing in the article said Trump does anything illegal."

He's very highly likely doing tax evasion and its now pretty clear he's taking bribes from foreign entities. Very illegal.

"but avoiding paying taxes to our corrupt deep state government is something I commend."

There is no deep state. Stop being afraid of ghosts.

"What makes you think these democrat career politicians that amassed millions of dollars during their tenure don’t do the same or worse."

Whataboutism argument. Trump is the president and in power.

"This is such a non issue and the best you can say is hur dur cult because you actually don’t have anything meaningful to say."

Yet meaningful enough to make a reply.

"Stealing from generational wealth and middle America and giving to criminals, illegal aliens, and new immigrants disproportionately many of whom hate us and our country."

Xenophobia.

So aside from being a typical maga reactionary, do you have any coherent argument?




NightlyPoe said:
sundin13 said:

Oh, the horror. 

Trump should have released his taxes four years ago. I couldn't care less that they got leaked and if personal info on any of his opponents got leaked, you can bet your ass that he would be the first one waving it in the air. 

And Trump's a cretin.  What exactly is your excuse for cheering on a violation of a person's private records?

I don't think it matters anymore if you call Trump a cretin or something else. The closer we've been coming to election, the more your facade of being a Republican, but not a fan of Trump, has been breaking apart.

NightlyPoe said:
sundin13 said:

There are millions of injustices in this country worth giving a shit about. This is not one of them. 

Of course this is one of them.  This invasion of privacy has been an unrelenting obsession for the left for over 4 years now.  It's sick and deranged, and worst of all, so utterly ubiquitous that hardly anyone even realizes how far off the deep end they've gone.

I mean, it doesn't get any clearer than this. You'd be absolutely fine with a Trump in office every term as long as it means to keep "the left" out of office. Your excuse for your position to be against the exposure of a criminal is nothing more than being a Republican for life, because this isn't about what is just and what is not.

Last edited by RolStoppable - on 29 September 2020

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club