By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - NYT: Long-Concealed Records Show Trump’s Chronic Losses and Years of Tax Avoidance

Finale said:
Dulfite said:

Not that I believe any of these "reports," but even if they are true, I don't care. I don't care what Obama does for personal gain, nor Bush, nor Clinton, nor Trump. Obama wants to make millions working with Netflix? Good for him! Trump wants to make money doing stuff with hotels and golf courses? Good for him.

It's not my business what they made or lost money doing, or what they paid taxes on and what they didn't. That should be between that person and the IRS, just as it is for me. And it certainly isn't going to impact my vote knowing what they are doing in their own private endeavors. My wife and I have made money doing risky moves, and we've shaken our heads about mistakes that failed. We are all human and try to better our living conditions. I do not understand our nation's obsession with something private like this.

You know, this may get too personal,but stick with me for a second.

My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, 'If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.'. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- 'Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 23, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because your post gave me cancer anyway.

Eh... I gotta give you points for some creativity... but nevertheless, this violates our substance rules. Saying "this post gave me cancer" would generally be moderated, at least without some legitimate criticism to go along with it. Admittedly amusing preamble does not change that, so keep that in mind for the future. 



Around the Network
iron_megalith said:

The fact that this has turned to more partisan bickering that you would see on the US Politics thread instead of actually talking about the content of the article says a lot about the state of political discussions in VGC. Because honestly, I find the framing of the article to be so manipulative that it's trying to tell you something in the first half but then it seemingly refutes itself by the end of it. It's as if they knew they couldn't definitively say what they hope to say and just leave everything to everyone's imagination or interpretation. Anyway, I'mma fuck out of this thread just like I did with the US Politics thread.

You guys enjoy yourselves.

"fuck out" is a nice codename for "getting kicked out for cheerleading terrorism".



Immersiveunreality said:
I'm into Belgian politics and i'm instead irritated by American politics ,that's how bad it is.

Just for context:

Belgium hasn't had a government since forever now, even broke their own world record from 10 years ago (which stood already at a whooping 589 days without government). There are several possible coalitions, but the pitfalls are too big to really get them to work together.

So yeah, the situation in Belgium is very irritating, but the US still easily manages to take the cake.



RolStoppable said:
Dulfite said:

Um, I don't understand this?

(...)

That's because you are American.

The republicans are about dividing the country, sowing fear and dismissing all facts that contradict their view of the world. The three key ingredients of far-right politics. Another good indicator are comedians; for normal politicians they have to embellish statements to create a punchline, but for far-right politicians they merely have to quote them.

Are you honestly suggesting only one political party in America divides the country? lol okay.



Don't hate the player, hate the game

Here is an interesting take on taxes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBg7DnQjjcY

EDIT:

Description of video (without trying to sway opinion).

Australia's richest man in the 90s, Kerry Packer (dead now), speaking about legislation, politics and tax.

Last edited by Cobretti2 - on 29 September 2020

 

 

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
This tax situation isn't a new issue. As a candidate, Trump promised to releases his tax returns. Trump is the only President that hasn't released his tax returns.

Small correction here, only president, or major candidate, since Nixon. The tradition started because Nixon's tax returns were leaked and he wanted to get ahead of the story. 

Cobretti2 said:
Don't hate the player, hate the game

Here is an interesting take on taxes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBg7DnQjjcY

You can hate both. Please include a small summary when posting videos or links to videos. A sentence or two about the source, their background/qualifications, and their position.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 29 September 2020

Moren said:
iron_megalith said:

The fact that this has turned to more partisan bickering that you would see on the US Politics thread instead of actually talking about the content of the article says a lot about the state of political discussions in VGC. Because honestly, I find the framing of the article to be so manipulative that it's trying to tell you something in the first half but then it seemingly refutes itself by the end of it. It's as if they knew they couldn't definitively say what they hope to say and just leave everything to everyone's imagination or interpretation. Anyway, I'mma fuck out of this thread just like I did with the US Politics thread.

You guys enjoy yourselves.

"fuck out" is a nice codename for "getting kicked out for cheerleading terrorism".

Can't really tell if you're trying to help or hinder iron here.

"It's as if they knew they couldn't definitively say what they hope to say and just leave everything to everyone's imagination or interpretation."

Your response reads to me as you're helping solidify their point.



No body in their right mind cares if a man is keeping more of his own money through legal tax deductions. Nothing to see here. Now onto the next “scandal”.



NightlyPoe said:

Sadly, the real scandal here isn't even touched on. The president's private records were violated and then exposed for nakedly political purposes. Unfortunate that we don't live in an ethical enough time to even care about that.

Honestly, when seeking a public office position, there is an expectation of lack of privacy, especially for president.  While releasing tax returns isn’t a law, it is a long held precedent that trump broke.  He really should have released them as they do contain information that the public has a right to.  Releasing them would have been the “ethical” thing to do in the first place.  If he valued the privacy of that information so much, then he shouldn’t have run for president.



gergroy said:
NightlyPoe said:

Sadly, the real scandal here isn't even touched on. The president's private records were violated and then exposed for nakedly political purposes. Unfortunate that we don't live in an ethical enough time to even care about that.

Honestly, when seeking a public office position, there is an expectation of lack of privacy, especially for president.  While releasing tax returns isn’t a law, it is a long held precedent that trump broke.  He really should have released them as they do contain information that the public has a right to.  Releasing them would have been the “ethical” thing to do in the first place.  If he valued the privacy of that information so much, then he shouldn’t have run for president.

A tradition that had only existed for 22% of our nation's history. We survived "corruption threats" for 180 years without needing tax returns, yet some in this thread make it sound like we can't survive anymore like our ancestors. We are okay violating the rights of a man, just to get information that is not at all necessary (tax returns are political ammunition and nothing more). Information we didn't need for 78% of our countries history.