By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Amy Coney Barrett to be Nominated to the Supreme Court

Snesboy said:
sethnintendo said:

Great a die hard catholic gets rammed through senate right before election. Mitch the turtle can go fuck himself.

Why do you hate Catholics when we both love Fire Emblem?

I don't necessarily hate people that are Catholics.  I just have very negative views towards the institution due to the whole priest scandals and the church pretty much sweeping them under the rug till recently when they finally stopped protecting past abusers.  

I actually kind of like the new pope compared to the Hitler youth former one.   He is actually trying to make amends and be more inclusive.  My last two girlfriends were actually catholic.  

My problem like many is that I generalize too much.  It's more my distaste of the institution than most people that belong to religion.

Also on religion.  I don't care what most people believe but I do care when their beliefs start encroaching on me.   There might be a god but I don't think any religion on Earth is the correct and only true religion.   I have very negative views of organized religion because they are run by humans and humans will always be flawed.   That's why I've just kind of adopted my own and to me nature is god.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:

So... I'm just supposed to ignore that they immediately start attacking a potential nominee based on her religion?  Your favorite website says it's not true, so what I'm watching happening in real time INCLUDING ON THIS VERY THREAD, isn't happening?

I'm not here to defend every criticism or attack that has been done on this nominee.

I can point out though that they are not only mentioning her Catholicism but the very specific brand of religious subset she belongs to.

I don't know much about her "Praise" group thing, but I can absolutely say that any group that claims that any nonbeliever, Atheist, or freethinker who doesn't entertain the idea of a god is a problem or is not fit to hold office goes against the very values of this nation.

Citizenship is not beholden to entertaining the idea of a god, not beholden to be fit to hold office.

I have no problem with Catholics and Christians, I don't have problems with them holding office. Pretty much all my family and friends are believers. These "attacks" you claim are NOTHING compared to how Atheist and nonbelievers are regarded in US, even by the very President of the United States which I quoted and you didn't even flinch at his antagonistic regard for nonbelievers because you simply don't care.

My favorite website? Oh yes, I quote them a lot because they do a great job chronicling all the times that the Right and the GOP take a shit on the separation of church and state, but I disagree a lot with their editorials and their leanings towards identity politics (although they aren't extreme when they incur in identity politics).

I have voted and will continue to vote for believers during elections, I just require them not to shove their idea of a god down my throat, which is way more that I give compared to the Religious Right who can't even say a nonbeliever can be a good citizen.

You REALLY need to get off that site, because it's messing with your head.  Again, the country is on a religious ebb.

If I stop watching news website because they have "opinions" I don't agree with I would have no place to read news anywhere.

NightlyPoe said:

If it's a strong Originalist, then conservatives will be happy.  If it's an activist judge, then they will oppose.

"Originalist" is code for the Religious Right to claim the Founding Fathers intended the citizens to be believers.

They want to claim that the government must help people be believers in the idea of a god.

The absolute joke about the "Originalist" claim is that our Founding Father have said things that the Religious Right would claim doesn't make them believers anymore or "true Christians" (just like they dismiss the idea that other Christian Democrats are "true believers"):

Thomas Jefferson even chopped off pieces of the Bible taking away most of the magic and supernatural.

If you tell me that all the above still makes you an Originalist then I AM an Originalist too.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

NightlyPoe said:
vivster said:

Ah yes, let's have a proponent of a church led state be the arbiter of a constitution that explicitly forbids it.

That's as if you would make people who have fun harming others police officers tasked to protect people. Oh wait.

Would you care to provide any evidence that she is a proponent of a church-led state?

https://scholarship.law.nd.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1013&context=commencement_programs

“keep in mind that your legal career is but a means to an end, and as Father Jenkins told you this morning, that end is building the kingdom of God.”

sethnintendo said:
Snesboy said:

Why do you hate Catholics when we both love Fire Emblem?

I don't necessarily hate people that are Catholics.  I just have very negative views towards the institution due to the whole priest scandals and the church pretty much sweeping them under the rug till recently when they finally stopped protecting past abusers.  

I actually kind of like the new pope compared to the Hitler youth former one.   He is actually trying to make amends and be more inclusive.  My last two girlfriends were actually catholic.  

My problem like many is that I generalize too much.  It's more my distaste of the institution than most people that belong to religion.

Also on religion.  I don't care what most people believe but I do care when their beliefs start encroaching on me.   There might be a god but I don't think any religion on Earth is the correct and only true religion.   I have very negative views of organized religion because they are run by humans and humans will always be flawed.   That's why I've just kind of adopted my own and to me nature is god.

I completely understand. That's why as a Catholic, I try to help people to understand that man is fallible and we worship God to be more like him and accepting of all people, especially our enemies.

I hope Amy Coney Barrett to be a fine addition to the Supreme Court and that she will follow our Constitution to the fullest as it protects her and all our religious freedoms. None of my research has indicated that she will follow religious teachings before the Constitution, however, only time will tell.

sethnintendo said:
NightlyPoe said:

Would you care to provide any evidence that she is a proponent of a church-led state?

Is anti-Catholic bigotry really going to be the sum of the Democrat response?

Get ready to be reminded of Article VI: Clause 3 of the Constitution: "but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

I'm not just anti catholic.   I'm anti almost all religion. She could be mormon for all I care and my view still wouldn't change.  Actually I'd probably make fun of her more if she was mormon.  Just barely looking into her past she is just someone that Notre Dame college put all their backing behind to try to advance her career to eventual highest court.  Looks like their strategy has worked.

Least I can say I don't belong to an organization that supported and hid pedophile priest that molested and raped little boys for the past centuries.

Yet, there are atheist who engage in pedophilia so...

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
sethnintendo said:

I'm not just anti catholic.   I'm anti almost all religion. She could be mormon for all I care and my view still wouldn't change.  Actually I'd probably make fun of her more if she was mormon.  Just barely looking into her past she is just someone that Notre Dame college put all their backing behind to try to advance her career to eventual highest court.  Looks like their strategy has worked.

Least I can say I don't belong to an organization that supported and hid pedophile priest that molested and raped little boys for the past centuries.

And you think that's equivalent? 

Torillian said:
LivingMetal said:

And you think that's equivalent? 

I think what's equivalent is that all individuals are imperfect and I base my assessment of people base on the person themselves, not by a group or one's definition or expressed perception of that group.  Some atheists do engage in pedophilia while some support it.  It doesn't mean all atheists condone it.  What the Catholic church did from a bureaucratic standpoint was wrong.  It doesn't mean Barrett condoned such actions.

Last edited by LivingMetal - on 26 September 2020

NightlyPoe said:

Does that mean that Engel v. Vitale, Brown v. Board of Education, Miranda v. Arizona, Roe v. Wade, Lawrence v. Texas, and Obergefell v. Hodges can now be safely ignored if a state feels strongly enough about it?

And the silliest part of this is that Judge Barrett is likely to do exactly as you wish.  As a judicial conservative, she'll put most hot-button issues to the state and the voters if it doesn't actually violate the Constitution.  Overturning Marbury v. Madison isn't needed.  All you lose is the "I win" button here, not the ability to fight for them within the legislatures.

No, it means that congress doesn't need to go beg the Supreme Court to be allowed to use its political-power. Chances are, since the majority wants it, the end results of those cases would be enforced. You'll still have a federal government that prevents discrimination, it just wouldn't beg kritarchs to do so.

Saudi USAbia

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

NightlyPoe said:

Multiple news agencies are reporting that tomorrow afternoon, the president will nominate Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court.  This is not a surprising turn of events as she had already been a finalist for Justice Kennedy's seat to which Justice Kavanaugh was selected instead.  Trump had allegedly stated later that he was saving her for Justice Ginsburg's seat and she'd become something of a favorite within conservative judicial after she weathered an attack from Democrats in her appeals court hearings based on her Catholic faith.

There was speculation that Trump might select Barbara Lagoa to the court due to political considerations (she being both Cuban and from the swing state of Florida), but the timing of the nomination and strict deadline if they wished to confirm her by Election Day meant that the already well-vetted Barrett with whom Trump was comfortable and was popular with his base had an overwhelming advantage.  McConnell further signaled that Barrett had sufficient support from within the Senate to confirm her.

In the Senate, there is bound to be a huge fight over this nomination, largely based on Republicans refusing to hold a vote for Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland four years ago when Justice Scalia died and general acrimony where it comes to a conservative judicial nominee.  Two Republicans have already signaled that they are against filling the position until after we have a winner in the upcoming election (though Murkowski has since softened to state that she may ultimately vote in favor of a nominee).  However, a majority of Republicans still control the timing and each of the remaining Senators that might have voted against the nomination due to either election concerns, perception as a moderate, or previous statements that they would oppose an election year nomination all signaled that they are in favor of confirming a new justice.

Since the 80s, nominations have generally taken 2-3 months to go through.  The current plan is to complete this nomination by Election Day a little over a month away so as to avoid the less-than-ideal possibility of having to confirm during a lame-duck session after the president and/or Senate have been voted out of office.  This leaves a little over a month to get this done.  Such speed was common in the past, and as recently as Ginsburg herself took only 42 days.  The current schedule calls for a process more along the lines of what the Reagan-appointed Justice O'Connor's experience in 1981, who was confirmed in 33 days.

Gay.

User was warned for this post. - Hiku

Last edited by Hiku - on 27 September 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.