By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Amy Coney Barrett to be Nominated to the Supreme Court

Republicans need as much power as they can get. Democrats have failed at everything, their support for criminals, lowlives andviolent revolutionary communists who have been running rampant for months now is sickening

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:

Is anti-Catholic bigotry really going to be the sum of the Democrat response?

Get ready to be reminded of Article VI: Clause 3 of the Constitution: "but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

• The 2020 Democratic presidential candidate (Joe Biden) is Catholic.
  • The 2016 Democratic vice presidential candidate (Tim Kaine) was Catholic.
  • The 2012 Democratic vice presidential candidate (Biden) was Catholic.
  • The 2008 Democratic vice presidential candidate (Biden) was Catholic.
  • The 2004 Democratic presidential candidate (John Kerry) was Catholic.
  • The current Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, is Catholic.
  • The current head of the Democratic National Committee, Tom Perez, is Catholic.
  • The first Supreme Court pick from President Obama, Sonia Sotomayor, was Catholic.
  • Several members of President Obama’s cabinet — Kerry, Perez, Hilda Solis, Julián Castro — were Catholic.
  • Of the 235 House Democrats elected in 2018, 87 were Catholic — more than a third.
  • 60% of all the Catholics currently in Congress are Democrats.
  • The only Catholic president in U.S. history, John F. Kennedy, was a Democrat.

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2020/09/23/democrats-do-not-have-anti-catholic-bias-no-matter-what-republicans-tell-you/

I don't have any emotional attachment to Democrats beyond the fact that they are not the ones trying to make the United States ever an inch closer to a theocracy. If Republicans wouldn't be enforcing the idea of a god I may even support them from time to time.

"Get ready to be reminded of Article VI: Clause 3 of the Constitution: "but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

I want to see the Right, Conservatives, Republicans and you NintendoPie's reaction to a hypothetical Atheist supreme court nominee. I hope you all remember that clause and don't try to hold the Atheist identity of said nominee against him/her and criticize any reservations the camp on the Right may have about an Atheist.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

sethnintendo said:
eva01beserk said:

Remember how much money Hillary spend last time over trump? It was massive amount. Money dosent mean everything. I really think the population is crying for help because of the riots and lockdown.

Healthcare, coronavirus and economy are way above concern for crime and safety for most Americans.   Still waiting on that healthcare plan that was promised three years ago in two weeks.  Meaningless executive orders don't count.

Only in big cities are thouse real concerns. We have to be frank here and say the US is way to split between the urban and rural populations. But I guess thats true to some degree for any country that's is this big. But the democrats have focused solely on the urban voters. That's gona hurt them again this election like it did on 2016.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

vivster said:
NightlyPoe said:

Would you care to provide any evidence that she is a proponent of a church-led state?

Is anti-Catholic bigotry really going to be the sum of the Democrat response?

Get ready to be reminded of Article VI: Clause 3 of the Constitution: "but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

Is it possible to be bigoted against bigots? She is a hardline catholic and from her history and quotes it is clear that she will have a hard time leaving out her catholic values from rulings that are supposed to be as impartial as possible.

Her views on sexuality and abortion are telling enough. She won't advocate for human rights, because her Christian values trump human rights.

And between me and you, that's a pretty bad thing for a person with such immense power to decide over human lives.

Is being catholic = being a bigot? No judge is "neutral", bet they still all have to interpret the law, whatever their background.

eva01beserk said:
sethnintendo said:

Healthcare, coronavirus and economy are way above concern for crime and safety for most Americans.   Still waiting on that healthcare plan that was promised three years ago in two weeks.  Meaningless executive orders don't count.

Only in big cities are thouse real concerns. We have to be frank here and say the US is way to split between the urban and rural populations. But I guess thats true to some degree for any country that's is this big. But the democrats have focused solely on the urban voters. That's gona hurt them again this election like it did on 2016.

You would think crime and safety would be more concern in big cities. I live in suburb of Austin, TX and I can tell you that there have been no protest here.  No riots.  Nothing.  Suburban people are more concerned about healthcare and coronavirus.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2020/08/13/important-issues-in-the-2020-election/

August article

"But the poll showed the majority -- 78% -- remain “very” or “somewhat” concerned about the coronavirus. Nearly 60% said Trump is at least partly responsible for the protracted school and business closures due to the virus, as well as for the high number of coronavirus cases in the United States. More than 6 million Americans have been infected with the virus, more people than in any other country.

By contrast, most Americans do not see crime as a major priority and do not think it is increasing in their communities, the poll showed.

Only about 8% of American adults listed crime as a top priority for the country, compared with 30% who said it was the economy or jobs, and 16% who said it was the healthcare system.

And 62% of registered voters, including 62% of Democrats and 65% of Republicans, said crime was not increasing in their communities"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll-idUSKBN25T1I3

September article

I can keep posting articles.  Do you have any to back up your claims?  Getting off topic here but I had to respond.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
eva01beserk said:

You would think crime and safety would be more concern in big cities. I live in suburb of Austin, TX and I can tell you that there have been no protest here.  No riots.  Nothing.  Suburban people are more concerned about healthcare and coronavirus.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2020/08/13/important-issues-in-the-2020-election/

August article

"But the poll showed the majority -- 78% -- remain “very” or “somewhat” concerned about the coronavirus. Nearly 60% said Trump is at least partly responsible for the protracted school and business closures due to the virus, as well as for the high number of coronavirus cases in the United States. More than 6 million Americans have been infected with the virus, more people than in any other country.

By contrast, most Americans do not see crime as a major priority and do not think it is increasing in their communities, the poll showed.

Only about 8% of American adults listed crime as a top priority for the country, compared with 30% who said it was the economy or jobs, and 16% who said it was the healthcare system.

And 62% of registered voters, including 62% of Democrats and 65% of Republicans, said crime was not increasing in their communities"

September article

I can keep posting articles.  Do you have any to back up your claims?

No I don't. But what i will agree is that the economy is #1 but that is strictly related to the lockdown. As soon as restrictions whete lifted the economy started rising again and the polls started showimg more possitive towards trump. The same thing happened with the riots. As they escalated trumps approval also rose. Now I cant say that thouse where the only reason trumps polls started rising. But it would be foolish to say that thouse are not big factors.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
sethnintendo said:

August article

September article

I can keep posting articles.  Do you have any to back up your claims?

No I don't. But what i will agree is that the economy is #1 but that is strictly related to the lockdown. As soon as restrictions whete lifted the economy started rising again and the polls started showimg more possitive towards trump. The same thing happened with the riots. As they escalated trumps approval also rose. Now I cant say that thouse where the only reason trumps polls started rising. But it would be foolish to say that thouse are not big factors.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Can you show me where on the approval ratings you're talking about? 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/national/

or the general election polls for that matter. 

WolfpackN64 said:
vivster said:

Is it possible to be bigoted against bigots? She is a hardline catholic and from her history and quotes it is clear that she will have a hard time leaving out her catholic values from rulings that are supposed to be as impartial as possible.

Her views on sexuality and abortion are telling enough. She won't advocate for human rights, because her Christian values trump human rights.

And between me and you, that's a pretty bad thing for a person with such immense power to decide over human lives.

Is being catholic = being a bigot? No judge is "neutral", bet they still all have to interpret the law, whatever their background.

No, being a bigot is being a bigot. Also being an asshole is being an asshole. She ticks both of those boxes. No judge is neutral, but being religious as opposed to irreligious is already a giant red flag.

I'd rather have judges who base their opinions on evidence than faith.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

sethnintendo said:

Great a die hard catholic gets rammed through senate right before election. Mitch the turtle can go fuck himself.

Why do you hate Catholics when we both love Fire Emblem?

The easy way to resolve this is to just ignore Marbury v. Madison and the idea that only the Supreme Court has the final authority over judicial review. The judicial branch has always been the most conservative/status-quo supporting branch, and when progress had to be made during other crises (First Civil War, Great Depression) it was ignored or its decisions over-turned by popular sovereignty

So yeah, Trump can nominate and the Senate can approve Amy Coney Barrett, but as Jackson said, "John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it."