By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Stop Calling Foreign Films "Weird"

There is an interesting video essay about the concept of foreign movies being weird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voiBAjkJ-ig

The basic point of the video is, that Hollywood isn't the norm everything else has to be judged after, but Hollywood is but one centre of a big worldwide industry. And he provides examples of Hollywood doing the same stuff as foreign movies, it is just judged differently.

BTW: I was aware of Battle Royale being the template that Hunger games is styled after, because I watched Battle Royale back then, even before the Hunger games novels were written. Therefore I kinda feel like Hunger games is the kids version of Battle Royale.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

As a foreigner, I never called them weird But it's somewhat understandable. Every movie industry has its cultural norms that they rely on, so it might seem weird for some.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
As a foreigner, I never called them weird But it's somewhat understandable. Every movie industry has its cultural norms that they rely on, so it might seem weird for some.

adding that its not just the movie industry but cultural norms in general

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

hunter_alien said:

Yes, that is understandable. Still it is fair to accept, that the own culture isn't the norm.

Anyways, as a european I am technical a foreigner to Hollywood myself, but I feel in a way that Hollywood is the cultural norm for europe. That is even weirder!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

John2290 said:
American films are foriegn to everyone outside of America.

And they are weird as hell, ever watched this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw81urzR_9Q

Around the Network
John2290 said:
American films are foriegn to everyone outside of America.

Technically it's true, but they became the norm in Europe and most of the world. I know several people in my country who disregard amazing Romanian movies just because of its "local trash", ie not Avengers or any other US blockbuster. The status of locally produced movies has fallen considerably in the last couple of decades, and I know that this is not the case only here but other parts of Europe as well.

So in a way, a local movie became a kind of foreign movie. Do I even make any sense? :))))

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

There are two parts to film-making: the craft and the content.  There are also two parts to video games: the craft and the content.  Foreign content is always weird, but there is something else going on.  American movies are the standard worldwide.  In the US, we only watch American movies.  In China they like both Chinese made films and American made films, but in the US we only like American made films.  This is actually how it is in most countries.  Most countries like both their own films and American made films, but in the US we only like American made films.

This relationship is very similar to the relationship between Japan and video games.  In Japan they only like Japanese made video games, but Western culture likes both Western games and Japanese games.  The Japanese like only Japanese games for the same reason that Americans only like American movies.  It's because for both media there are two components the craft (craftsmanship) and the content.  

Every culture tends to prefer content from its own culture.  When it comes to craft...well I'll let you figure out which culture is best when it comes to craft.  I'll just say one more thing: I would be very shocked if Germans liked playing board games that were made in the US.

Am I allowed to dislike Hollywood AND think foreign films are strange?

As long as you just find certain movies you watch weird it's fine and honest, assuming all foreign movies are weird because you have seen a few is something differently ofcourse.
Not understanding a culture is also not so bad,we all do that.

Ok. As long as I'm allowed to call anime werid.