By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS CEO Nadella: We Will Consider Buying Even More Game Companies In Future

SanAndreasX said:
Soundwave said:

Sony has been trying to block Final Fantasy from other platforms since 1996, lets be honest. They just don't have enough money to force Square-Enix to do it outright so they do it bit by bit. I also think they privately try and get designers like Nomura to be actively anti-non-Playstation platform too. They've been doing this stuff for ages. 

The only thing the PS1 + PS2 eras taught Sony was to win you bully your way to the top by locking out content from competing platforms. The only problem with that for them is Microsoft if motivated to do so can play that game a lot better than they can. 

Yeah... no. That's a load of complete rubbish, sorry.

Sony didn't have to bully Square into doing anything. The PlayStation line has always been their top choice. The PS1 was the only successful console with a CD-ROM drive. The N64 had cartridges, the Saturn simply failed. The PS2 had a userbase that dwarfed the Xbox and Gamecube combined. The Xbox's sales in Japan were Virtual Boy levels of awful, and the system was a modest success at best in the US, so there was no incentive for Square Enix to bring FFX or FFXII to Xbox. They did bring Final Fantasy to the 360, and despite the fact that the 360 had a larger userbase in the US, the PS3 version far outsold the 360 version in both Japan and the United States. Then the PS4 ended up winning heavily out of the gate against the X1, and the PS4 version of XV left the X1 version in the dust. So no, there is no grand conspiracy afoot here.

Square did gladly accept an investment from Sony in the 1990s, one that helped them bring The Spirits Within to the screen through Sony Pictures, whatever the final box office outcome might have been. 

The Saturn bit is not true, when the decision to put FF7 on Playstation was made the Saturn was actually outselling the Playstation in Japan. Sony bought their way into keeping that off the Saturn. 

The deals for FFX, GTA3, MGS2 were announced even before the GCN/XBox launched, again Sony paid ahead of time to lock those out from other systems. 

It took the XBox 360 to finally shake FF exclusivity and I bet MS had to work Square's ass for a long time to get that to happen.

Of course FF will sell better on the Playstation when Sony has a history of locking it off from other userbases. 

So no, I don't feel particularly bad for Sony that Microsoft is now knocked them on their ass. What goes around, comes around. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
SanAndreasX said:

Yeah... no. That's a load of complete rubbish, sorry.

Sony didn't have to bully Square into doing anything. The PlayStation line has always been their top choice. The PS1 was the only successful console with a CD-ROM drive. The N64 had cartridges, the Saturn simply failed. The PS2 had a userbase that dwarfed the Xbox and Gamecube combined. The Xbox's sales in Japan were Virtual Boy levels of awful, and the system was a modest success at best in the US, so there was no incentive for Square Enix to bring FFX or FFXII to Xbox. They did bring Final Fantasy to the 360, and despite the fact that the 360 had a larger userbase in the US, the PS3 version far outsold the 360 version in both Japan and the United States. Then the PS4 ended up winning heavily out of the gate against the X1, and the PS4 version of XV left the X1 version in the dust. So no, there is no grand conspiracy afoot here.

Square did gladly accept an investment from Sony in the 1990s, one that helped them bring The Spirits Within to the screen through Sony Pictures, whatever the final box office outcome might have been. 

The Saturn bit is not true, when the decision to put FF7 on Playstation was made the Saturn was actually outselling the Playstation in Japan. Sony bought their way into keeping that off the Saturn. 

The deals for FFX, GTA3, MGS2 were announced even before the GCN/XBox launched, again Sony paid ahead of time to lock those out from other systems. 

It took the XBox 360 to finally shake FF exclusivity and I bet MS had to work Square's ass for a long time to get that to happen.

Of course FF will sell better on the Playstation when Sony has a history of locking it off from other userbases. 

So no, I don't feel particularly bad for Sony that Microsoft is now knocked them on their ass. What goes around, comes around. 

If anything, let them compete with eachother so we might get some nice new quality games out of it.

Last edited by Immersiveunreality - on 24 September 2020

I can't really fault Nadella's methods. After trying for years to make some exclusive franchises succeed outside of Halo, Gears and Forza (+maybe Fable) not many other of their exclusives have made a splash so it totally makes sense to buy companies with already proven IPs.

I had to process my thoughts for a long time regarding MS's purchase of Bethesda and overall, I think it's good. I'm not into Xbox so I may not be able to play the future Fallout games and that sucks for me (if they do manage to make Fallout good again) but this kind of competition is good overall. If it means Sony will work their butt off to win this gen, it can only benefit us the consumers.

As long as it stays competitive, I think we are the biggest winners.

ironmanDX said:

Sony buying an unknown studio with no good games to it's name =/= MS buying Bethesda.

Cerebralbore101 said:

I never said that Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch were unknown studios.

You said insinuated it isn't the same as buying Bethesda because Bethesda is established. If you didn't call the studios listed above unknown, are you agreeing with me now?

Is it the same? Is it different (again) somehow? Sony=Good MS=Bad?

lol, no. I said that Sony buying Insomniac isn't the same as MS buying Bethesda. The reason should have been obvious, when looking at the post you originally quoted. "Yeah, MS buying Bethesda is like Sony buying a dev team which almost exclusively develops for Sony for ages."

Unknown studios was obviously referring to other Sony acquisitions in your wikipedia list. Or do you seriously think, that I was claiming that the makers of Spyro, and Ratchet were unknown in 2020, when Sony bought them?

Your reading comprehension is terrible.

Soundwave said:
Sony fans are more angry because they're not used to this. If you're a XBox, Nintendo, Sega, PC gamer being told "hey you have to buy a Playstation if you want to play that third party game" is the "norm". Now that the shoe's on the other foot, they're upset.

Well they'll have to get used to what the other platforms have had for decades, especially PC, the platform that gets dicked around by all 3 consoles for years.

This has honestly been a really long time coming, because since they entered the race, they joined out of revenge and arrogance (the first price reveal was absolutely drenched in it), and that's something that needs to be kicked right out of the system.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

People don't understand that fallout and elderscrolls , starfield is still going to come to ps5. They need to make their money back and there is alot to be made with license fees to sony. Making it console exclusive and hoping to bring in millions more won't do it. Think about it, there will be a big install base ezpecially for starfield/elder scrolls on pc. Those that bought xbox. Those who chose ps5 as console of choice aren't going to or intend to ditch the ps5 and their exclusives because of one or exclusives they would like. Those who would even consider switching, i'm sure they are well aware of the playstation having more exclusives that they want, which is why they would go for ps5 in the first place. How many are on the fence thinking about which console of choice to go for?? You might see some people buying a ps5 and series s, but that would be small percentage. There will also be huge backlash against them if they opt not to, and it will cause damage to them , more so through social media.

Last edited by KratosLives - on 24 September 2020

HollyGamer said:
It will be funny if they buy a lot of studios and publisher but still on third place on consoles sales , let see and wait. But already see Microsoft will not able to defeat Sony on console area. They focus is gamepass. They don't care on consoles sales. Trus me they will sell their exclusives games on PS console at regular 70 USD price but making it cheap or free on gamepass. It will be winner for both.

Releasing on on the PS platform is a maybe, but if it does it will most likely be on a 12 month timed exclusive basis so as to increase the attractiveness of Game Pass which has become the main priority for MS. Releasing to the competition at the same time would be counterintuitive in my opinion hence why MS bought Bethesda in the first place - to make the xbox/ game pass platform more attractive to gamers. 

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

You go, girl.
I think overall, that is a very positive move for the industry and for the consumer. And if someone has to do it, I'm glad it's Microsoft.

Are people serious about a narrative where Microsoft is some kind of victim?  That they stood noble and pure against the nasty tactics of their competitors until they had enough and suddenly decided to "push back"?

Anyone remember Dead or Alive 3?  The original Xbox exclusive that Microsoft bought to be a launch game?

Because I do.  Yeah, Microsoft has been throwing the moneyhat from the very beginning of Xbox history.  They're just as guilty of it as anyone else.  There is no moral high ground for ANY of the video game manufacturers.

It's a silly argument because these are all corporations that would fuck ALL of us over in a second if they thought it was to their advantage. 

Stop being puppets and stooges.  You're making the people who play video games look like complete jokes and the businessmen who only care about your money are laughing at you while you look like nimrods for defending them.

Soundwave said:

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-microsofts-ceo-xbox-head-say-they-wont-screw-up-bethesda/

"You can't wake up one day and say, 'Let me build a game studio,'" Nadella said in an interview after the company announced its $7.5 billion cash purchase of ZeniMax Media, which owns several industry-leading game developers, including Bethesda Softworks and Id Software. "The idea of having content is so we can reach larger communities."

That's why Microsoft will consider buying even more video game companies in the future, he said, and why it continues to invest in its Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

Good going Sony. You've awakened the bear. 

By doing what?  Providing the core and casuals a quality successful product?