By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS CEO Nadella: We Will Consider Buying Even More Game Companies In Future

ironmanDX said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

lol, no. I said that Sony buying Insomniac isn't the same as MS buying Bethesda. The reason should have been obvious, when looking at the post you originally quoted. "Yeah, MS buying Bethesda is like Sony buying a dev team which almost exclusively develops for Sony for ages."

Unknown studios was obviously referring to other Sony acquisitions in your wikipedia list. Or do you seriously think, that I was claiming that the makers of Spyro, and Ratchet were unknown in 2020, when Sony bought them?

Your reading comprehension is terrible.

No, I don't think that.  Now that we've established they have bought several developers that were not unknown, did have big games, I'm asking is it really that different? The real core of the question. 

MS also have "other" developers they've also built from the ground up (343, initiative, turn 10) or have bought when small and relatively unknown (compulsion, inxile)?

Sure sounds like what Sony has done over the years to me.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. Sony buying Insomniac which almost exclusively made games for Sony consoles, is not the same as MS buying Bethesda, which has been entirely multiplatform for 14 years. Then, when people call you out on false equivalence you claim they are moving the goalposts.

Inxile made a name for themselves with Wasteland 2 in 2014. They aren't all that unknown.

I fully support MS building up their own home grown stuff. Initiative, Compulsion, and Rare all have potential to become better studios. But remember that the first Killzone wasn't all that good. It takes years to take a studio from mediocre to good.

The problem I have with MS is that they engage in the Sophistry of claiming that "exclusives are evil" just because their 1st party lineup is lacking. They then go on to release lackluster 1st party games to Gamepass, while Phil Spencer runs his mouth, about how those games really are "good". They rarely release full sales data, and incur the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy instead. "This game has X amount of players on Gamepass" "This game sold X amount in the first week". Nevermind that the game sold poorly overall. They just focus in on whatever data set happens to make them look good.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
HollyGamer said:

Remember, Sony and Nintendo  dont have PC platform OS like Apple or Microsoft. They depend on consoles or handled (Nintendo). That's why their lock in to their ecosystem. If you think Sony and Nintendo is bullshit by looking into their exclusives then why don't you use smartphones as an example where some Apple app only available on iOS. 

It's about platform or ecosystem, Microsoft will win if Sony put their games on PC but not with Sony. Their revenue will be much bigger on their own platform/Service (PSPlus/Now/PS consoles). 

Remember Sony and Nintendo could easy build their own Store on PC where they wouldnt be giving MS a cut of anything. Thats whats great about an Open platform like the PC.

I would kill for a Sony store on PC. Day 1 releases on PC would be fantastic for me. Nintendo is leaving massive amounts of money on the table by not putting their NES, SNES, N64, GC, and Wii games on PC. Same goes for not putting them on Switch.

Cerebralbore101 said:
ironmanDX said:

No, I don't think that.  Now that we've established they have bought several developers that were not unknown, did have big games, I'm asking is it really that different? The real core of the question. 

MS also have "other" developers they've also built from the ground up (343, initiative, turn 10) or have bought when small and relatively unknown (compulsion, inxile)?

Sure sounds like what Sony has done over the years to me.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. Sony buying Insomniac which almost exclusively made games for Sony consoles, is not the same as MS buying Bethesda, which has been entirely multiplatform for 14 years. Then, when people call you out on false equivalence you claim they are moving the goalposts.

Inxile made a name for themselves with Wasteland 2 in 2014. They aren't all that unknown.

I fully support MS building up their own home grown stuff. Initiative, Compulsion, and Rare all have potential to become better studios. But remember that the first Killzone wasn't all that good. It takes years to take a studio from mediocre to good.

The problem I have with MS is that they engage in the Sophistry of claiming that "exclusives are evil" just because their 1st party lineup is lacking. They then go on to release lackluster 1st party games to Gamepass, while Phil Spencer runs his mouth, about how those games really are "good". They rarely release full sales data, and incur the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy instead. "This game has X amount of players on Gamepass" "This game sold X amount in the first week". Nevermind that the game sold poorly overall. They just focus in on whatever data set happens to make them look good.

Ok, now, forget the "cherry picking"  of Insomniac and look at all acquisitions and developers built from the ground up... Just like I asked...

Is it that different?

I don't care what Phil does with his mouth, sales numbers released or not or MS exclusivity ethos. Nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Cerebralbore101 said:

It is the same thing, it's a multi billion dollar company buying another studio(s) and becoming the owner of that studios IP's. You can argue the scale or effect of the ZeniMax move is bigger, that Insomniac had a close relationship with Sony prior, etc etc, that's where the whole goal post shifting comes into play. None of it is really relevant. At the end of the day it's one of the big three purchasing talent and IP's.

Cerebralbore101 said:

I agree, but funny that around here the acquisition was met with a shrug as no one knew who they were or expected anything from them.

Cerebralbore101 said:

I think we call support any publisher building their own studios from the ground up. Which all of them have been doing. But Sony and MS both also go out and buy talent. It's no different than professional sports. A team can draft a young linebacker and groom him for a couple years and grow him into a quality starter, or they can go out and pay a free agent to come in and immediately start. Everyone tries to do both. Sony and MS are doing both.

Cerebralbore101 said:
The problem I have with MS is that they engage in the Sophistry of claiming that "exclusives are evil" just because their 1st party lineup is lacking. They then go on to release lackluster 1st party games to Gamepass, while Phil Spencer runs his mouth, about how those games really are "good".

What does their philosophy regarding exclusives have to do with your perceived quality of their first party lineup? So when/if this acquisition becomes finalized, they'll arguably have the strongest first party stable of studios. Do you expect them to stop saying the player is at the center of their focus, not the device? That all of their games won't continue to work across Xbox, PC, and xCloud? Because if their stance regarding exclusives were as fickle as you think, it seems like they'd stop saying it and stop putting all their games on multiple devices right about... now?

Also you sound kind of goopalicious with your comment regarding lackluster GamePass games. What do you consider to be "lackluster"? MS has released plenty of good/great games on the service and some that were not met well by critics. Let's assume anything less than a 70 meta is "lackluster" to you. That makes games like State of Decay 2, Bleeding Edge, Crackdown 3, and Sea of Thieves lackluster. But what about Ori 2? Horizon 4? Gears Tactics? Wasteland 3? Gears 5? Tell Me Why? Hell, even Battletoads ended up above a 70. Minecraft Dungeons? etc etc. And how far back are we going? Because if you want to include the entire history of Gears and Halo, well, that's a lot more titles that are far from "lackluster".

Cerebralbore101 said:
They rarely release full sales data, and incur the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy instead. "This game has X amount of players on Gamepass" "This game sold X amount in the first week". Nevermind that the game sold poorly overall. They just focus in on whatever data set happens to make them look good.

Sounds a lot like what Sony was doing during the PS Vita era. I mean, you're actually criticizing a corporation for generic PR here.

Not really aimed at you, but I don't get the double standards here. If ZeniMax were to sell to either Sony or MS, we should be happy it was MS because at least we know PC users can still play the stuff. And as we were told over and over and over again on this site, that makes it not exclusive and makes it ok because, like, everyone has a gaming PC.

the-pi-guy said:
ironmanDX said:

You said insinuated it isn't the same as buying Bethesda because Bethesda is established. If you didn't call the studios listed above unknown, are you agreeing with me now?

Is it the same? Is it different (again) somehow? Sony=Good MS=Bad?

Has nothing to do with Sony=good, MS=bad.

Frankly buying one of the biggest publishers who routinely publishes games on both platforms with massive amounts of success is very different from buying small developers. 

IG made most of its best games with Sony's backing and they were largely exclusive before being bought. ND, SP were largely exclusive before being bought. Xbox owners don't lose anything from them being bought.  PS owners gain from Sony making larger investments into their projects. 

Bethesda on the other hand, routinely made games for both platforms. PS owners lose out on their games because they're an established multiplatform publisher. 

Microsoft buying Playground Games is a fantastic thing that benefits Xbox players and doesn't hurt PS players.  

Microsoft buying Bethesda isn't the same thing. 

Well, I'm sorry but I have no sympathy whatsoever for PS gamers, they always make such a ruckus every time anyone even dares to mention that a Sony game is going to appear on PC. As if God of War being on PC is somehow going to taint their experience on their precious console. I even saw people online telling others to "just buy a PS4" if they wanted to see Spiderman in a MULTIPLATFORM game. So yeah, I want MS to buy at least three more studios.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-microsofts-ceo-xbox-head-say-they-wont-screw-up-bethesda/

"You can't wake up one day and say, 'Let me build a game studio,'" Nadella said in an interview after the company announced its $7.5 billion cash purchase of ZeniMax Media, which owns several industry-leading game developers, including Bethesda Softworks and Id Software. "The idea of having content is so we can reach larger communities."

That's why Microsoft will consider buying even more video game companies in the future, he said, and why it continues to invest in its Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

Good going Sony. You've awakened the bear. 

M$ is a bully. M$ should help the industry grow by making new ips. Sony did that with Uncharted, Horizon, Zero dawn, the last of us, infamous, etc. This is what gets the industry moving. i'll no be surprised if the buy Take2.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

KratosLives said:
So instead of fixing their own studio and publishing better ,more varied games, they go and purchase a multiplatformed studio. Great game studios started from something small. You can actually wake up with an idea of making a great video company. They have the money and means to put together a team and studios and make great games, yet they just don' seem to. They are taking they easy route. I'd like to see if they have the gall to keep any futire elder scroll /fallout titles exclusive to xbox just to see the backlash.

God I love these misinformed posts. 

In terms of “fixing” they have adopted a hands off approach where they don’t interfere with development. Inexile explained how MS gave them money, new offices and allowed a delay of Wasteland 3 for voice acting and general polish. Psychonauts 2 also delayed into 2021 because they needed more time. Halo Infinite delayed for polish instead of MS forcing a holiday launch. Turn 10 stopped their 2 year cycle for Forza Motorsport so they can polish their engine and make a great next gen impression.

As for varied.....Ori, Gears Tactics, Minecraft Dungeons, Flight SIM, Tell Me Why, Battletoads, Wasteland 3.....all literally a different genre. All these games got good scores, Ori 2 and Flight SIM in the 90s. Sorry to say but MS doing both. They got the money to do both. Your post completely ignores what they have done with their other studios. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

spynx said:
Soundwave said:

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-microsofts-ceo-xbox-head-say-they-wont-screw-up-bethesda/

"You can't wake up one day and say, 'Let me build a game studio,'" Nadella said in an interview after the company announced its $7.5 billion cash purchase of ZeniMax Media, which owns several industry-leading game developers, including Bethesda Softworks and Id Software. "The idea of having content is so we can reach larger communities."

That's why Microsoft will consider buying even more video game companies in the future, he said, and why it continues to invest in its Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

Good going Sony. You've awakened the bear. 

M$ is a bully. M$ should help the industry grow by making new ips. Sony did that with Uncharted, Horizon, Zero dawn, the last of us, infamous, etc. This is what gets the industry moving. i'll no be surprised if the buy Take2.

Starfield is a new IP ;)

Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo also new IP from Xbox, but that dastardly Sony gave MS bags of money to make it timed exclusive for PS instead. Sony is the bully...stealing Xbox 1st party exclusives. 

(This is me poking fun obviously) 

But seriously if we talking new IPs, then we got Sea of Thieves, Everwild, Avowed, State of Decay, Forza Horizon, Minecraft Dungeons, and Gears Tactics (spinoffs but different genres then source IP). Bringing back old IPs like Flight SIM, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Psychonauts. Published new Ips like Ryse, Quantum Break, Ori, Tell Me Why.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

KratosLives said:

People don't understand that fallout and elderscrolls , starfield is still going to come to ps5. They need to make their money back and there is alot to be made with license fees to sony. Making it console exclusive and hoping to bring in millions more won't do it. Think about it, there will be a big install base ezpecially for starfield/elder scrolls on pc. Those that bought xbox. Those who chose ps5 as console of choice aren't going to or intend to ditch the ps5 and their exclusives because of one or exclusives they would like. Those who would even consider switching, i'm sure they are well aware of the playstation having more exclusives that they want, which is why they would go for ps5 in the first place. How many are on the fence thinking about which console of choice to go for?? You might see some people buying a ps5 and series s, but that would be small percentage. There will also be huge backlash against them if they opt not to, and it will cause damage to them , more so through social media.

Worst case they are timed exclusive. But otherwise this is wishful thinking on your part.

Tell me, how does MS plan to grow Game Pass if they release their games on PS5? You thinking too short term. 

KratosLives said:

People don't understand that fallout and elderscrolls , starfield is still going to come to ps5. They need to make their money back and there is alot to be made with license fees to sony. Making it console exclusive and hoping to bring in millions more won't do it. Think about it, there will be a big install base ezpecially for starfield/elder scrolls on pc. Those that bought xbox. Those who chose ps5 as console of choice aren't going to or intend to ditch the ps5 and their exclusives because of one or exclusives they would like. Those who would even consider switching, i'm sure they are well aware of the playstation having more exclusives that they want, which is why they would go for ps5 in the first place. How many are on the fence thinking about which console of choice to go for?? You might see some people buying a ps5 and series s, but that would be small percentage. There will also be huge backlash against them if they opt not to, and it will cause damage to them , more so through social media.

You're really setting yourself up for disappointment if you think MS is going to have new games release on ps5 in the future. Besides those deals Sony already made with Bethesda, and probably Fallout 76 and ESO(since they are already on Ps4), I don't see why MS would release new games on other platforms.

MS wants the Xbox/gamepass to grow. Having titles like Fallout 5, Starfield, and ES6 be exclusive to Xbox would be huge. Then throw in a new Doom, Wolfenstein, and Dishonored, this would really pull people towards the Xbox ecosystem. I don't think you understand, the acquisition isn't about making money make as quickly as possible, it's about building a library of content that nobody can ignore. MS has so much money, making their money back as soon as possible is the least of their worries. 

MS could care less about any sort of outrage. MS owns these IP's now and can do what they want with them and no amount of port begging is going to change this. If someone wants to play these games badly enough, they will buy an Xbox or play it on PC/Xcloud.