By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS CEO Nadella: We Will Consider Buying Even More Game Companies In Future

VAMatt said:
I don't understand why everyone thinks that MS is going to make the Bethesda games XB/PC exclusive. It wouldn't make sense from a business perspective to buy a company that gets half of its sales from Playstation, then stop releasing their games on Playstation. It would probably erase more than 50% of the value of the company that they just bought. MS is a giant company, run exclusively "by the numbers". There's no console war BS going on on that board room. It's a bunch of smart business people figuring out how to make more money. And, buying companies and stripping out half of their sales on purpose is not an effective way to do that.

While I don't think all the games will be (entirely) exclusive to XB, I can't believe at least a select few won't be solely exclusive to XB and/or GP, or that most if not all will be exclusive to GP for a year and then made available on other platforms. That way you get your exclusivity, but also end up getting PS and Nin gamers to help fund the purchase as well.

Both can work, it's just the sooner you pay off this purchase, the sooner you can purchase more studio's. Considering what GP is, getting more studio's locked up would seem to be the better strategy. You don't look as bad because your games eventually become available on other platforms, yet you can purchase more studio's, adding more games, gaining more control over the market.

FloatingWaffles said:
i gotta be honest I do find the most entertaining part about all this to be that the same people who shit on xbox for years with stuff like "xbox has no games, phil is just a hype man who is just all talk and does nothing, xbox is irrelevant" etc are now the same people who are acting like they're shocked and dislike what microsoft is doing

it's like people forgot they were a trillion dollar company lmao. once so eager to shit on them but now that they're making moves and using the fabled Warchest(TM) to fix the very things that those people criticized them for now they suddenly don't like that either, at least keep that same energy

I would assume most meant build upon what they already have and come up with exciting new IP. SNY mostly uses it's existing studio's to expand and make new IP. They don't just go buying new studio's every time they want to diversify their game portfolio. This is the problem some people will have. Making new games out of what already exists is one thing. Buying up multi platform games and keeping them to yourself is quite a bit different. Instead, as Nadella put's it, that's tough to do and a lot of work which could all be for nothing, so the easier and smarter thing to do, is just buy something that's already well established.

I don't think those people thought MS would go buying entire publishers and big multi franchise studios like that, potentially making them exclusive to XB. Even if they're not exclusive to XB, but hurting SNY in the long run, they won't be happy about that. For MS to brag about this, they aren't winning over any of those criticizers because they've solved one problem yet created another.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 23 September 2020

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Most of MS's 1st party content has slowly gotten worse over the years. Can't wait to see them bring the same mediocrity to Bethesda's games. I fully expect Fallout 76-2.

MS, PC, and Nintendo fans can just buy a PS4/5. Nothing is stopping anybody from being a multi-platform gamer.

Sony buying Insomniac =/= MS buying Bethesda.

Sony buying an unknown studio with no good games to it's name =/= MS buying Bethesda.

Guerrilla games? Insomniac? Naughty Dog? Zipper? Sucker punch? Unknown studios?

Ok mate. Referees can assist in moving goalposts too. Team work makes the dream work.

I never said that Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch were unknown studios. They were all studios that had a history of publishing almost exclusively on Playstation. Guerilla didn't make good games until Sony bought them. WTF is Zipper?

smroadkill15 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Most of MS's 1st party content has slowly gotten worse over the years. Can't wait to see them bring the same mediocrity to Bethesda's games. I fully expect Fallout 76-2.

MS, PC, and Nintendo fans can just buy a PS4/5. Nothing is stopping anybody from being a multi-platform gamer., there's 13 video game associated acquisitions there?

I know you must be salty from this acquisition, but at least be realistic. No way suddenly all these new MS title will be mediocre. If you have payed attention at all with with studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Compulsion games, Playground, Inxile, The Initiative, etc. They've been building up these studios and giving them what they need to be the best they can be. Giving them time to make the best games they can. Don't just take my word for it, all these devs have been saying the same thing. If you don't think MS will do the same thing with these new studios, you are in serious denial. If anything, this will make it so they DON'T need to release games like ESO and Fallout 76 now. 

You realize, if MS actually wants Xbox/game pass to really grow, quality titles and diversity are absolutely important to making this happen. Half-assing it won't cut it. 

Why would I be salty? I own a PC, and can play these games. Ninja Theory can be a good studio, but Bleeding Edge was bad. Obsidian, and Inxile are both good studios. I don't care for Playground at all. Racing games bore me. Let me know when Initiative, and Compulsion make something good.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

MS, PC, and Nintendo fans can just buy a PS4/5. Nothing is stopping anybody from being a multi-platform gamer.

Um, Sony fans can just buy a Xbox One X/Series S/Series X. Nothing is stopping any Sony fan from being a multi-platform gamer.

You are correct. Nothing is stopping Sony fans from picking up either a PC or an Xbox. As someone that has access to all games, I get sick of hearing people whine about how "exclusives are evil".

So instead of fixing their own studio and publishing better ,more varied games, they go and purchase a multiplatformed studio. Great game studios started from something small. You can actually wake up with an idea of making a great video company. They have the money and means to put together a team and studios and make great games, yet they just don' seem to. They are taking they easy route. I'd like to see if they have the gall to keep any futire elder scroll /fallout titles exclusive to xbox just to see the backlash.

Sony fans are more angry because they're not used to this. If you're a XBox, Nintendo, Sega, PC gamer being told "hey you have to buy a Playstation if you want to play that third party game" is the "norm". Now that the shoe's on the other foot, they're upset.

ironmanDX said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Sony_Corporation

well, there's 13 video game associated acquisitions there?

Is that better or would you like to come up with some other way to move the goal posts? Need a hand? I've seen plenty of others doing the same. I'm sure they'll happily jump in and grab the other side for you.

Sony buying an unknown studio with no good games to it's name =/= MS buying Bethesda.

Cerebralbore101 said:
ironmanDX said:

Ok mate. Referees can assist in moving goalposts too. Team work makes the dream work.

I never said that Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch were unknown studios.

You said insinuated it isn't the same as buying Bethesda because Bethesda is established. If you didn't call the studios listed above unknown, are you agreeing with me now?

Is it the same? Is it different (again) somehow? Sony=Good MS=Bad?

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Um, Sony fans can just buy a Xbox One X/Series S/Series X. Nothing is stopping any Sony fan from being a multi-platform gamer.

You are correct. Nothing is stopping Sony fans from picking up either a PC or an Xbox. As someone that has access to all games, I get sick of hearing people whine about how "exclusives are evil".

Yeah, it's always good if Sony do it.

Soundwave said:
Sony fans are more angry because they're not used to this. If you're a XBox, Nintendo, Sega, PC gamer being told "hey you have to buy a Playstation if you want to play that third party game" is the "norm". Now that the shoe's on the other foot, they're upset.

You are missing the mark by atleast a decennia,and the us vs them mentallity is again silly.

Cerebralbore101 said:
ironmanDX said:

I never said that Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch were unknown studios. They were all studios that had a history of publishing almost exclusively on Playstation. Guerilla didn't make good games until Sony bought them. WTF is Zipper?

smroadkill15 said:

I know you must be salty from this acquisition, but at least be realistic. No way suddenly all these new MS title will be mediocre. If you have payed attention at all with with studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Compulsion games, Playground, Inxile, The Initiative, etc. They've been building up these studios and giving them what they need to be the best they can be. Giving them time to make the best games they can. Don't just take my word for it, all these devs have been saying the same thing. If you don't think MS will do the same thing with these new studios, you are in serious denial. If anything, this will make it so they DON'T need to release games like ESO and Fallout 76 now. 

You realize, if MS actually wants Xbox/game pass to really grow, quality titles and diversity are absolutely important to making this happen. Half-assing it won't cut it. 

Why would I be salty? I own a PC, and can play these games. Ninja Theory can be a good studio, but Bleeding Edge was bad. Obsidian, and Inxile are both good studios. I don't care for Playground at all. Racing games bore me. Let me know when Initiative, and Compulsion make something good.

HoangNhatAnh said:

Zipper Interactive. They did a couple of PC games in the 90s then Sony got them for Soccom in the PS2 era. Shut them down after Unit 13 on Vita in 2012.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

It's incredibly funny seeing people get angry when you know that if the shoe was on the other foot they would be celebrating and jumping for joy, Maybe instead of asking Bethesda for 3 timed exclusives Sony should have asked if they could buy them permanently since it looks like they were open to being sold.

Any real fan already knows that MS was neglecting Xbox for a time period to a point where many people were questioning whether or not they would even stay in the console business and/or sell off Xbox, well guess what MS finally woke up and realized that they have a platform to support and they have a lot of cash lying around that they could invest into their own platform that was on life support.

So thank you MS for rewarding the loyal Xbox fans that stuck with you through these tough times and showing that you are actually being serious about fixing the 1st party problem that you have had for a long time.

Soundwave said:

And I don't even understand why they are so upset; I mean, one of the more recurrent lines we have heard in the last couple of years is "there is no reason to buy an Xbox, we can play all their games on PC." Well, nothing has changed, you will still be able to play all these games on PC.