By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS CEO Nadella: We Will Consider Buying Even More Game Companies In Future

okr said:
You tell ‘em, Mr. Nutella.

I knew I couldn't be the only one.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Soundwave said:

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-microsofts-ceo-xbox-head-say-they-wont-screw-up-bethesda/

"You can't wake up one day and say, 'Let me build a game studio,'" Nadella said in an interview after the company announced its $7.5 billion cash purchase of ZeniMax Media, which owns several industry-leading game developers, including Bethesda Softworks and Id Software. "The idea of having content is so we can reach larger communities."

That's why Microsoft will consider buying even more video game companies in the future, he said, and why it continues to invest in its Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

Good going Sony. You've awakened the bear. 

Hopefully Google doesn't wake up as well and for example buys Take 2 interactive... It will be Stadia vs xCloud

Im expecting that Stadia will be discontinued within a year or so.

chakkra said:

Which game? Now I'm confused.

C'mon bud, I know what the gig is here.

They'll keep their agreements in check, after that they can actually do whatever they want and whatever makes business sense to them. You know if Sony buys anything it too is allowed to do what it wants (and it does regardless of what people like to say). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

pokoko said:

Holy mother of all cats. There are people who really think that Microsoft buying Bethesda for $7.5 Billion dollars was to get back at Sony and not a continuation of their business plan for the gaming sector?  Christ on a sandwich, I'd forgotten about this kind of stuff. 

Nah, it was to get back at people saying XBox has no games. Follow the thread :p

xCloud is where we are headed, whether you want to or not.

Soundwave said:

Good going Sony. You've awakened the bear. 

So timed exclusives are what finally woke it up. Incredible. What was the bear doing for the last 19 years?

sales2099 said:

And I can’t help but feel the poetic justice of all the teasers that said Xbox has no games....careful what you wish for when you egg on a trillion dollar corporation lol. 

Yes. If only those teasers hadn't teased a trillion dollar corporation so hard.

Chazore said:

I love how a gen of "xbox has no games", from a semi half gen of "PS has no games" during 7th gen, has completely gone and backfired, and awakened a sleeping giant.

The bed has been made, time to sleep in it.

How are those things even connected?

sales2099 said:

There’s a difference between the winner widening their lead vs a underdog making a comeback. It’s just funny that the “underdog” in this case is a $trillion corporation ;)

Pick one: MS as the Victim or MS as the trillion dollar corporation. It doesn't really work framing it as both.

pokoko said:

Holy mother of all cats. There are people who really think that Microsoft buying Bethesda for $7.5 Billion dollars was to get back at Sony and not a continuation of their business plan for the gaming sector?  Christ on a sandwich, I'd forgotten about this kind of stuff. 

The reason MS made a $7.5 billion dollar acquisition and Sony woke up a sleeping giant bear?

Turns out it's Timed exclusives and Sony fans being irritating online.

I'm speechless. 

Around the Network

Microsoft should buy Playstation next

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

@Dallinor

Within the gaming industry I can truthfully say MS is a underdog and that their budget up until recently was limited and not assisted by Microsoft as a whole. And I never said they spent 7.5 billion because of the online teasing. Merely it’s a happy coincidence and poetic justice regardless. MS wants Xbox to succeed and in doing so will make moves that crush current narratives. Call silencing haters a nice side effect.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

MS, PC, and Nintendo fans can just buy a PS4/5. Nothing is stopping anybody from being a multi-platform gamer.

Um, Sony fans can just buy a Xbox One X/Series S/Series X. Nothing is stopping any Sony fan from being a multi-platform gamer.

HollyGamer said:
zero129 said:

Not the same. MS release their games across PC on both their own Store and steam etc day and date, they also allow you to play on mobile with xcloud.

Sony locks their games to mostly one platform (With the exception of a bad port of a 3 year old game and one or two small indie games)(Thats the reason why MS,PC, And Nintendo fans cant enjoy something like Spider-man etc).

Nintendo wont allow their games on anything other then their own system (Reason why Sony, MS and PC players etc never got to play Bayo 2 and 3 when it releases without owning a switch)

However i can bet out of all Sony and Nintendo fans at least more then half of them now have a device that can now play xbox exclusives thanks to xcloud..

Full on exclusives are bad one way or another but if giving the option of one of the big 3 buying a company id Sooner MS then Sony or Nintendo any day of the week as im not forced to buy their box to play their games then.

Remember, Sony and Nintendo  dont have PC platform OS like Apple or Microsoft. They depend on consoles or handled (Nintendo). That's why their lock in to their ecosystem. If you think Sony and Nintendo is bullshit by looking into their exclusives then why don't you use smartphones as an example where some Apple app only available on iOS. 

It's about platform or ecosystem, Microsoft will win if Sony put their games on PC but not with Sony. Their revenue will be much bigger on their own platform/Service (PSPlus/Now/PS consoles). 

I see your point but it doesn’t change how things are starting to look. Sony is looking more and more like a walled garden where as MS is much more inclusive. To be fair Xbox puts their games on Steam now. They give 30% cut to Valve but hey you see the sales charts. These are people so loyal they will never go to Windows Store. 70% cut is better then getting nothing. Point is MS benefits more from sales within their direct ecosystem but chose to expand outward as well. And it makes them more consumer friendly as a result. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

DroidKnight said:
VAMatt said:
I don't understand why everyone thinks that MS is going to make the Bethesda games XB/PC exclusive. It wouldn't make sense from a business perspective to buy a company that gets half of its sales from Playstation, then stop releasing their games on Playstation. It would probably erase more than 50% of the value of the company that they just bought. MS is a giant company, run exclusively "by the numbers". There's no console war BS going on on that board room. It's a bunch of smart business people figuring out how to make more money. And, buying companies and stripping out half of their sales on purpose is not an effective way to do that.

I agree.  Their goal is how to get a return on the 7.5 billion and then some in the least amount of time possible.

Says who? What evidence/quote? Because historically it took Minecraft and the 2 billion to buy it several years before it made back the money. And now they laughing with how much it continues to do so. MS is playing the long game.

To make this clear, we all know on some level Game Pass and it’s growth is MSs true goal. So tell me, how does Elder Scrolls 6 or Fallout 5 on PS5 boost Game Pass subs? Xbox getting a cut from sales doesn’t boost the Xbox brand and especially Game Pass if PS gamers don’t feel the need to get into Xbox. 

Game Pass is at 15 million now. Imagine if it hits 50. That’s 500 million per month, averaging it to $10 per month per user due to PC GP users paying $10 and general people picking up trial runs.

You want to know how they gonna make it back? That’s how. You grow Game Pass to juggernaut levels. Having Starfield exclusive will add millions to PC and Xbox Game Pass combined. Same for Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Games like Doom and the rest will do their thing at lesser degrees but ultimately boost the value and keep people subscribed. 

Xbox can make the 7.5 billion back all by themselves. It will take years. There will be no easy solution but it centres around making Game Pass the most tempting option. And that won’t happen if PS gamers know they can simply wait it out.