By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox acquires Bethesda

Bandorr said:
Fascinating. Wonder if this is just Minecraft all over again. They buy it but do nothing with it. It still comes to every system etc.

What are you talking about Minecraft got numerous updates since they aquired it plus they released Minecraft Dungeons not that long ago.

Around the Network
dharh said:

This is pretty huge.  Fallout and Elder Scrolls is right up there with Final Fantasy for me in terms of games that define if I am going to be invested in a platform.  If a Fallout or Elder Scrolls were to become XBOX only (on the console side) I would have no choice but to get an XBoxSX.  In contrast the _only_ series that ever had me invested in the XBOX ecosystem was Halo. I got the XBONE because my friend gifted me The Master Chief Collection.

Fallout and Elder Scrolls are the most important properties in gaming for me.  That's why I'm terrified right now.

And, as a PC gamer, all I can say is that Microsoft had better not fuck up those franchises by forcing them to become "games as a service" -centric.  They've done it before and killed Lionhead as a result.  Fallout/Elder Scrolls have always been developed with mods and modding in mind, more than any other major series, and that had better not be thrown aside by Microsoft's streaming agenda.

I have absolutely zero faith or trust in Microsoft and it wouldn't surprise me to see them screw things up.  I hope that doesn't happen but Microsoft's history doesn't make me very optimistic.

Holy tits of virgin Mary! HUGE move

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

This is what happens when you poke the proverbial "Xbox has no games" bear. Money talks, and if there's one thing Microsoft has it's money.

Darashiva said:
This is obviously a huge deal, but the more I think about the less this really means to me personally. Bethesda has so few games that I actually care about that Xbox buying the company is somewhat irrelevant. There's Dishonored, which I greatly enjoy, and then Doom and Wolfenstein, which are good but not exactly games that I go out of my way to play. Other than that, there's not really all that much that changes for me as far as games I buy.

I think titles like Dishonored, Doom, Wolfenstein, etc, while good in their own right, don't really move the needle for the Xbox brand. However, the Fallout & Elder Scrolls IP's are huge and can move a ton of systems/subscriptions. 

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Well this sucks. I'm not buying a 700+ CAD console for one game. My choices are to either not play a sequel to one of my all-time favourite games (Skyrim), or to pay a ludicrous amount of money to get a Console for one game (Since Microsoft has no goddamn games...apparently aside from Bethesda games, which I genuinely do like).

I could game on PC but I hate PC gaming, what with all the weird demands and expectations and factors that go into just running a game. do I have the right sound card? Video card? Controller? RAM? Processor? etc. Eh, I'll avoid that if I can. Cheaper to just buy an Xbox than get all the parts needed for that.

If you had a pc i could understand that you might think xbox has no games, but to have neither a pc or an xbox and say that is crazy. 

konnichiwa said:
Otter said:

Does this still apply in 2020?

Plenty 360 fans moved onto PS4. VGC has Skyrim special edition selling 2x more on Playstation 4 versus Xbox One and I'm sure the gap is probably much bigger. There's no way a huge shit storm won't be kicked up if Elderscrolls or Fallout are exclusives. 

Sales possible but I feel the fans prefered the xbox versions. Morrowind is not available on Ps4, Oblivion/Fallout 3./Fallout New Vegas/original Prey are not available on PS4. And while F4 is on PS4 the xbox versions could have bigger mods (ps4 has/had a limit of 900 mb while Xbox let you go up to 2Gb).  The console bethesda community was always more positive about Xbox.   If you would have asked the bethesda community I would not be surprised that the community decided that MS buys Bethesda instead of Sony.  

The "community" is people who buy their games and  good majority have chosen to play on Playstation4 this gen over Xbox, its really that simple. 

d21lewis said:
ironmanDX said:

How is this different to Sony's acquisitions? No sunset Overdrive 2 for me?

It sucks when Sony does it, too. Hell, I read an article a month or two ago where Sony supposedly went to every third party and demanded exclusive content for every multiplat. I'll likely own both consoles but this is kinda disgusting.

Usually when two platforms compete, the customer wins. It seems like all bets are off so both companies may potentially screw everyone that doesn't support their brand.

Yeah, I get your concerns.

I'd actually be disappointed if MS started to withhold games from Sony, even after more recent 3rd party moneyhats they'd probably deserve it. (Sony the company, not the fans) It's a shitty practice.

At worst, I'm seeing timed exclusives, at best gamepass day one and PS5 players pay full price. I think given how Minecraft played out though, it's better to be optimistic.

vivster said:
d21lewis said:
All's fair but damn. This could potentially be really anti-consumer. Like when we had HDD vs Blu Ray and only certain movies were available on certain devices. You HAD to own both or miss out until we eventually had a winner. This is the opposite of the future I want.

How is this future different from how the console market is right now and always has been?

On one hand, there's making your own first party games and giving people a reason to buy your platform.

Then, there's forming partnerships and relationships with other companies so that they support or favor your platform.

This is just straight up buying another company. I don't know what M$ will do with their new acquisition but it could potentially be bad. I guess no difference that buying a company like Ninja Theory but this is Bethesda! BETHESDA!!

I was not expecting this when I woke up this morning.
Xbox basically owns the WRPG space with Bethesda, Obsidian, and Inxile.
Master chief and Doom guy are officially bros now.