By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - List of Next-Gen file sizes

Intrinsic said:
Leynos said:
So 4K games on an 800GB HDD. Own more than 5 games you are fucked. What a bunch of shit. Overly expensive external drives. God, modern gaming is trash. Just go back to just popping a game. Not doing the deleted and wait a quarter century again for a game to re-install

Just get a 2TB external HDD for cold storage. Costs under $60. Has a max speed of 120MB/s. Would literally take you under 7 mins to copy a 50GB file over to it or back. 

I think either of these companies putting anything more than 1TB as SSDs in these consoles now would have ben super stupid. Its a totally unnecessary place to spend money for something that can easily user-managed.

With an average size of 75GB, the PS5 should able to store at least 10 games at a time. Just get an external HDD and call it a day. 

Hopefully, the OS has a feature where it detects an external HDD used for cold storage and automatically moves games onto it that hasn't been played after a user-defined time.

How is the base memory of a brand new console only able to hold 10-12 games something in any way acceptable? I'm not sure whose fault is it, the developers who are dedicating less and less time to optimising space, or the publishers that are allowing it, but this is not something sustainable.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

jayzus cod.
lower it down hahaha one hdd or sdd is full of cod

Darwinianevolution said:
Intrinsic said:

Just get a 2TB external HDD for cold storage. Costs under $60. Has a max speed of 120MB/s. Would literally take you under 7 mins to copy a 50GB file over to it or back. 

I think either of these companies putting anything more than 1TB as SSDs in these consoles now would have ben super stupid. Its a totally unnecessary place to spend money for something that can easily user-managed.

With an average size of 75GB, the PS5 should able to store at least 10 games at a time. Just get an external HDD and call it a day. 

Hopefully, the OS has a feature where it detects an external HDD used for cold storage and automatically moves games onto it that hasn't been played after a user-defined time.

How is the base memory of a brand new console only able to hold 10-12 games something in any way acceptable? I'm not sure whose fault is it, the developers who are dedicating less and less time to optimising space, or the publishers that are allowing it, but this is not something sustainable.

We had much worse case in the past. And in case you don`t know the average tie ratio is 12 games per console on a 6 year base. So this SDD size is totally ok.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It's pretty standard when u are gaming at native 4k. Native 4k textures eat up alot of space. I would imagine closer to the end of the new gen we will see 200gb minimum

Norion said:
Pemalite said:

Uncompressed high bitrate audio was a massive culprit during the 8th gen... Titanfall developer even stated that 35GB of the 48GB install was uncompressed audio.
https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132922-Titanfall-Dev-Explains-The-Games-35-GB-of-Uncompressed-Audio

Audio is a tricky one to do lossless compression on without upsetting audiophiles.

Hi-res textures tend to be extremely compressible, most developers will do this.

This makes me wonder why developers don't offer both a version with compressed audio and a version with uncompressed audio since that would please everyone.

Microsoft is making a push for exactly that with "intelligent delivery".
But yeah, entirely up to the developer if they even wish to use that feature.

If you are using a soundbar or TV audio like the majority of people... Then 5.1/7.1 uncompressed audio is unlikely to be of importance... The Switch doesn't seem to suffer from this issue because developers are more than happy to compress the hell out of FMV/Audio because... Well... It's the Switch. Cart space is a premium.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Norion said:

This makes me wonder why developers don't offer both a version with compressed audio and a version with uncompressed audio since that would please everyone.

If you are using a soundbar or TV audio like the majority of people... Then 5.1/7.1 uncompressed audio is unlikely to be of importance... The Switch doesn't seem to suffer from this issue because developers are more than happy to compress the hell out of FMV/Audio because... Well... It's the Switch. Cart space is a premium.

Smash Ultimate is a great example, over 800 tracks containing over 28 hours of music but the file size is only around 13GB and I've never heard people complaining about the audio quality. Nintendo is very good at compression it seems which makes sense due to them working with lower limits. Also developers should let people choose to not download multiplayer content if they're only interested in single player and vice versa.

Darwinianevolution said:
Intrinsic said:

Did you like skip the NES, SNES, PS1, PS2 and PS3 generations? 

Have you heard of the Nintendo Switch? How much internal storage does it have? And how many games can you store on it? Notice how well it's selling?

Norion said:
Pemalite said:

Smash Ultimate is a great example, over 800 tracks containing over 28 hours of music but the file size is only around 13GB and I've never heard people complaining about the audio quality. Nintendo is very good at compression it seems which makes sense due to them working with lower limits. Also developers should let people choose to not download multiplayer content if they're only interested in single player and vice versa.

It's not that Nintendo is "good with compression". - It's just they are compressing just enough using a lossy codec that the majority of people really can't tell the difference.

It's like CD Quality audio vs high bitrate MP3. Most people wouldn't tell the difference... Because they don't have the hearing or the audio equipment to truly make use of higher quality assets.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Norion said:

It's not that Nintendo is "good with compression". - It's just they are compressing just enough using a lossy codec that the majority of people really can't tell the difference.

It's like CD Quality audio vs high bitrate MP3. Most people wouldn't tell the difference... Because they don't have the hearing or the audio equipment to truly make use of higher quality assets.

I understand better now. Ideally developers would offer both a compressed and uncompressed version but if only one is gonna be offered better it's compressed instead of uncompressed since most people won't be able tell with the former but everyone will be able to tell when file sizes are huge. I would download the uncompressed version every time but most people probably wouldn't.

DonFerrari said:
Darwinianevolution said:

We had much worse case in the past. And in case you don`t know the average tie ratio is 12 games per console on a 6 year base. So this SDD size is totally ok.

I wish stuff was more like the Switch. I have about 80 physical games and some digital stuff. I have a 500GB SD card I put in there I got on sale a year or so back. Still well over 200GB left. PS4 it's all over the place. Even with a External HDD. I have nearly 90 physical games for it but most I have uninstalled. I HATE PC gaming. DETEST it. So much bullshit just to play a game and now modern consoles have become that bullshit. They are just PCs now with a custom OS. Console gaming is just trash.PC gaming is lower than that for me. Pop a game in my Dreamcast or SNES and they just play. How it should be for CONSOLE gaming. I'm so fed up with everything in modern gaming from killing physical. Patches. MTX. bad DLC practices. The insane greed.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!