By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - List of Next-Gen file sizes

100 GB for a CoD game LOL. It's like they aren't even trying to optimize it down?

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
100 GB for a CoD game LOL. It's like they aren't even trying to optimize it down?

Modern Warfare is 200GB right now so some may say 100GB is an improvement loll

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I hope by the end of the gen 200GB is a minimum.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

So installs are not going away despite the promise they would?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

100GB for CoD, lol. And that's just the launch. It's going to balloon once they add the inevitable BR mode or whatever else they have planned to continue milking the whales.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Leynos said:

What? I very much doubt anybody promised that. After all, the games still ship on Blu-ray discs and Blu-ray drives are way too slow to get the data into the RAM. Even HDDs got to their limits, hence why the consoles use SSDs now. Full installs were always going to remain mandatory.

The only thing that some people fantasized about was that file sizes of games could get lower because of no need for duplicated data in the game files anymore, but that was a pipe dream when the new games were going to have much higher quality textures and assets that more than offset any gains of removed duplicated data.

SM PS4 shipped as  45GB+ install, after the day one patch it sits at 50.1GB.

On the PS5 its what? 55GB? That's a 10% increase for what would be something packing higher rez textures and stuff. That's a lot better than I thought it would be.

I would really, really like to know why COD games take up so much space though. 

Not as bad as I expected. Interested to see how big games get as we progress through the generation.

shikamaru317 said:
Leynos said:

Ummm, who promised that? Of course installs are staying, installs were necessitated by the slow speed of disc drives, data couldn't be pulled from the discs fast enough to handle modern games. The only way around installs these days would be a streaming service like xCloud or Stadia, or crazy fast game cartridges. 

Well the reason for the installs was slow CD drives and slow HDDs. All these so-called tech people were explaining that these fast SSDs negate the installed and devs had better compression tech for PS5 that also would eliminate them. Once again modern gaming is shit ugh.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

What eats up most of this space? Gonna guess hi-res textures.

Awaiting the first 200GB game. My bets on Final Fantasy FFXVI.. FFXV was already 148GB, with high resolution pack installed.