By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - List of Next-Gen file sizes

And we're just getting started, kids!

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
And we're just getting started, kids!

The idea is that file sizes should be going down with better compression and much less pre-baked lighting and reflections. It will take a while until this cross-gen period is over. Legacy lighting takes up a lot of space. More procedural animation, terrain and texture generation will also save disk space.

No man's sky is 10GB, Elite Dangerous is 25GB and they simulate entire galaxies. Why on Earth is NBA 150 GB.

SvennoJ said:
Chrkeller said:
SvennoJ said:

Only those with adhd... You could also finish one game, then play the next. Why would you play more than 5 games at the same time! Plus think of all the extra time you save with less scrolling through the installed games list ;)

Or those with a family.  I have a wife and kids who will want a few games installed.  This is especially important with couch coop games (e.g. sackboy), given as a family we may want to pickup and play randomly on a Friday night.  I would also like to keep Monster Hunter and Souls games installed, because again I randomly pickup and play online.  For me the storage game is a problem.  

Valid point, I have the same problem. I bought a ps4 pro so my kids could keep their games on the base ps4. Fortnite, Ark, Skylanders, Minecraft, GTA and the base ps4 is already pretty full. I like to keep GT Sport installed, 105 GB, needs that amount again to patch. I really hope Sony fixed that with the ps5 so you don't need as much or more space free for a game for a simple 500 MB patch. (Plus it took 35 minutes to copy the game to install a 500 MB patch)

So yep, I'll have the same problem again with PS5 :( I think I still rather buy a second console instead of adding an expensive SSD or waiting 10-15 minutes to move stuff back and forth to an external HDD. Kinda sucks it's so big.

Storage space increase on the ps4 was reasonable, I upgraded to 2 TB, which was enough to hold 40 some games.  I think the 2 TB drive was $100.  The concern with the ps5 drive is the cost.  Some believe adding 1 TB will be $200+. 

Really for me the best solution, assuming Sony fixes the issue, is store ps5 games on an external.  Copy over as needed.  I would guess copying over via USB 3.0 is rather quick (ish).  

Either way I want a ps5.  How Sony handles the storage issues ultimately will dictate how many games I purchase.  As it stands today, I will be incredibly selective.  For more selective than I was with the ps4.    

SvennoJ said:
IcaroRibeiro said:
The ideal solution for me would b a hybrid SDD-HDD solution you can swap before using the gameHDD is not as expensive as SSD (I can buy 8TB HDD for less than 2 TB SSD), I wouldn't my mind to let my catalog installed in a HDD and swap to a SSD before playing. It would take some minutes, but not nearly as much as download the whole game once again

You can already do that on Series X and PS5, simply connect an external HDD through USB. However on PS5 you can't copy ps5 games to an external HDD yet, they're working on that. You can swap out BC games to an external HDD.

Some minutes, depends on the drive. Copying GT Sport took 35 minutes on ps4 pro :/

Yup, it sucks. But keep in mind I'm a 3rd world citzen, and it would likely have to wait 9 to 12 times this to download the game again...