By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - List of Next-Gen file sizes

Leynos said:

Well the reason for the installs was slow CD drives and slow HDDs. All these so-called tech people were explaining that these fast SSDs negate the installed and devs had better compression tech for PS5 that also would eliminate them. Once again modern gaming is shit ugh.

That's a hot take...

The primary reason for installs is data decompression. How the data is packed in a disc or in a downloaded file is usually more compressed than can be decompressed in realtime. So during th install its unpacked, still compressed, but not as compressed anymore.

This is also why patches and add on files results in new installs. With the PS5, that won't be the case anymore, but the game would still be installed at least once. Either after copying from the disc, or downloading from the net. And yes, the PS5 does have better decompression tech, significantly better tech, but not in the typical way you may think. Its not just that it has a compression ratio of around 1.4 - 1.6x, its that thePS5 allows devs to read compressed data as if it were already decompressed. Devs wouldn't even have to know which data is compressed and which isn't and then go onto schedule a decompression instruction before copying the file(s) to RAM and then using it. On the PS5, they just request the file they want, and the system does everything else for them. As Cerny said, this entire process is transparent to devs.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
What eats up most of this space? Gonna guess hi-res textures.

Yup. With lastgen, we could say 60% was taken up by textures, with next-gen its probably going to be more like 80%. The current-gen did a lot to using in-engine videos for cutscenes to mask loading. Next-gen wouldn't need to do that at all. The emphasis wouldn't need to, I am sure COD is still doing that or whatever reason. No reason their files should b pushing past 100GB.

Leynos said:
shikamaru317 said:

Ummm, who promised that? Of course installs are staying, installs were necessitated by the slow speed of disc drives, data couldn't be pulled from the discs fast enough to handle modern games. The only way around installs these days would be a streaming service like xCloud or Stadia, or crazy fast game cartridges. 

Well the reason for the installs was slow CD drives and slow HDDs. All these so-called tech people were explaining that these fast SSDs negate the installed and devs had better compression tech for PS5 that also would eliminate them. Once again modern gaming is shit ugh.

Loading times will be negated/improved. I don't think anyone promised no installations.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

So 4K games on an 800GB HDD. Own more than 5 games you are fucked. What a bunch of shit. Overly expensive external drives. God, modern gaming is trash. Just go back to just popping a game. Not doing the deleted and wait a quarter century again for a game to re-install

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Intrinsic said:

SM PS4 shipped as  45GB+ install, after the day one patch it sits at 50.1GB.

On the PS5 its what? 55GB? That's a 10% increase for what would be something packing higher rez textures and stuff. That's a lot better than I thought it would be.

I would really, really like to know why COD games take up so much space though. 

It's actually a decrease. SM PS5 remaster contains ALL DLCs with it.

Around the Network

So even a 2Tb memory is going to be full after 10-12 games? The digital future is going to eat itself at this rate.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Leynos said:
So installs are not going away despite the promise they would?

No one promised that.
How did you expect the data to get from an optical disk or server somewhere to your SSD?

If a game took hours to install on Xbox One or Playstation 4, the same game will still likely take hours to install on Xbox Series X or Playstation 5, the mechanical hard drive was NOT the bottleneck there, the optical drive was.

KLAMarine said:

Uncompressed high bitrate audio was a massive culprit during the 8th gen... Titanfall developer even stated that 35GB of the 48GB install was uncompressed audio.
https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132922-Titanfall-Dev-Explains-The-Games-35-GB-of-Uncompressed-Audio

Audio is a tricky one to do lossless compression on without upsetting audiophiles.

Hi-res textures tend to be extremely compressible, most developers will do this.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Doesn`t seem as big as we were expecting.
Strange on your Series S and X because MS said it would have about 30% size difference.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Leynos said:
So 4K games on an 800GB HDD. Own more than 5 games you are fucked. What a bunch of shit. Overly expensive external drives. God, modern gaming is trash. Just go back to just popping a game. Not doing the deleted and wait a quarter century again for a game to re-install

Just get a 2TB external HDD for cold storage. Costs under $60. Has a max speed of 120MB/s. Would literally take you under 7 mins to copy a 50GB file over to it or back. 

I think either of these companies putting anything more than 1TB as SSDs in these consoles now would have ben super stupid. Its a totally unnecessary place to spend money for something that can easily user-managed.

With an average size of 75GB, the PS5 should able to store at least 10 games at a time. Just get an external HDD and call it a day. 

Hopefully, the OS has a feature where it detects an external HDD used for cold storage and automatically moves games onto it that hasn't been played after a user-defined time.

Pemalite said:
KLAMarine said:

Uncompressed high bitrate audio was a massive culprit during the 8th gen... Titanfall developer even stated that 35GB of the 48GB install was uncompressed audio.
https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132922-Titanfall-Dev-Explains-The-Games-35-GB-of-Uncompressed-Audio

Audio is a tricky one to do lossless compression on without upsetting audiophiles.

Hi-res textures tend to be extremely compressible, most developers will do this.

This makes me wonder why developers don't offer both a version with compressed audio and a version with uncompressed audio since that would please everyone.