By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Your Xbox Series SX & PS5 lifetime sales predictions

If gamepass does what its designed to do then XBOX will sell less this gen because you dont need an XBOX to play it. Unlike Nintendo and PS you need their hardware to access their services and 1st party games.

Sony consoles seems to naturally want to cross 100 million each gen, Sony literally have to eff up for it not to as we saw with the PS3.

PS5 - 100 million.
XBOX - 40 million. Total Game pass users will cross 60 million.

Last edited by loy310 - on 28 September 2020

Around the Network

PS5 120
XSX/S 60

PS5: 80-90 mil
Xbox Series: 40-50 mil

With the Xbox turnaround I think it will match the Xbox One and will reclaim North America over Sony.
For PS5 they will have less sales in Japan and North America, but Europe will continue to be the biggest continent for Sony.
I think PC gaming has grown so much that it will hurt console sales this generation, and game streaming will impact it in a few years.

ps5- 85-105m
xbx- 40-50m
switch if gen switch mid gen- 110-125m
switch if extended gen with pro model 130m+
ps4- 110-115m

switch(lite) being cheap and probably getting nearly all japanese third party games is going to hurt the argument to get a ps5, and its going to hapen with nintendo probably maintining the stranglehold it has on the market there. its position as a secondary and a casual gaming device at the same time makes it that its a decent only device and at the same time an amazing secondary one.

also bear in mind ps4 did so well precisly becasue all of its competition fucked up.

Soundwave said:
I don't think Microsoft is done buying big studios, they will have another 1-2 big guns in their roster before this next gen is over and they will have a commanding lead in the streaming/service side if I had to guess right now (ie: the fabled Netflix of gaming) which is more important than physical hardware install base.

But even on that side I think MS will eat into Sony's marketshare, particularly in North America, I think they could outsell the PS5 in US + Canada.

Agreed, but where is your perdiction?

I believe PS5 a little above 100 million, Xbox 65 million.

Around the Network

These are always fun...*grabs popcorn*
It's tough to even remotely predict lifetime sales until a year or two into a platform's life. But I'll stop rambling and I'll bite with early predictions.
PS5 finishes with around 105 million units, surpassing the original PlayStation by about 2.5 million units.
Xbox Series S/X finishes with 55 million, which is either about the same or about 5 million better than the Xbox One (obviously the Xbox One S is not discontinued yet).
The dedicated hardware market is stabilizing to shrinking in terms of hardware sold each generation. It's not on a clear uptick anymore, and it's not going to hit its crazy high 510 million units peak of the seventh generation (Wii, PS3, Xbox 360, DS, PSP).

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

PS5 100m
XBXS 60m

PS5 132m
XBxXxXSXY 56m

I reckon the Ps5 will sell less than the ps4
Xbox series x sell more than the Xbox one

However the Ps5 will still sell significantly more than the Xbox series x.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

PS5 : 140-150 million
XSX/S : 40-50 million

PS5 will continue eating into MS's marketshare. Perhaps the recent Bethesad acquisition can save them, hence why I think there may be more dual owners. Either way PS5 will dominate the market.

How long can MS survive being dominated like this? If Gamepass fails, I don't see them continuing for long.