By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Your Xbox Series SX & PS5 lifetime sales predictions

XBS: 60 mil
PS5: 100 mil

I think that the two consoles might be equally fast out of the gate this year. Judging by the production difficulties that Sony seems to be facing it looks as if their huge advantage of the higher PS4 install base will take longer to move over to PS5. I also think the Series S really is the man of the hour when it comes to the casual/family market and coronavirus, especially with All Access and Game Pass.

In the long run PS5 will take the lead and run up to 100 mil. It always will for as long as the traditional console market survives, because of its dominance in Europe and ROW. But I could easily see that with a strong start and with the growth both of game pass and of cross-platform play that XBS could repeat Xbox 360 successes in the anglosphere.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

PS5 ~130M
Xbox ~65M

And not a chance next-gen is going to be 5 years. There has NEVER been a 5 year PS generation, the last two were 7 years each. If anything, I expect this generation to be longer than the last one. And if enhanced consoles are going to be a ting, I expect them to show up around 2024 and the PS6/XSX2 show p in 2028.

Didn't you just make a very bold prediction that PS6 will be released in 5-6 years and PS5 will be the last traditional console generation?

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Trumpstyle said:
Intrinsic said:

PS5 ~130M
Xbox ~65M

And not a chance next-gen is going to be 5 years. There has NEVER been a 5 year PS generation, the last two were 7 years each. If anything, I expect this generation to be longer than the last one. And if enhanced consoles are going to be a ting, I expect them to show up around 2024 and the PS6/XSX2 show p in 2028.

Didn't you just make a very bold prediction that PS6 will be released in 5-6 years and PS5 will be the last traditional console generation?

Bold predictions are just wishful thinking. Mostly. Practically speaking though, this is what I really believe. If we get enhanced consoles, this gen would last 8 years. If we don't it would last for the same amount of time the current one has at 7 years.

If my theory of where things could go, which is a non-traditional route, then the gen would last 5-6 years, and be 100% forward compatible with the next-next-gen. Which in turn technically, means it lasts 10-12 years.

Ps5: 100m
Xbox: I would say 60m.

Xbox sales will all depend of how well xb series S performed.

PS5- 83 million
Series X- 71 million

Around the Network

PS5 -90 M
XB 38 M

PS5 80m
Series X - 30m

Everyone else gets a Switch instead.

PS5 100-110 million
Series X/S 60-70 million

Assuming gen 9 lasts a similar amount of time as this one and that combined sales of Playstation and Xbox consoles continue not changing that is what I would expect. I wouldn't be surprised if they went outside that range though.

fauzman said:
PS5 - 120M
X series X - 70M

As most do, I think the series X will make up ground but not too much. PS5 will sell slightly less than PS4. BTW, I dont believe in this 5 year console gen that some are mentioning. While that is what people may be saying, due to the cosys of the device, i think both MS and Sony will be in no hurry to switch to another console so I dont see too much of a difference happening. I see it more likely that as tje Xbox Game pass continues to grow, that MS may decide to pull out of the console business altogether.

This. Covid will be affecting the industry til around 2022. I doubt we will be moving on to a new gen 3 years after that.

I don't think Microsoft is done buying big studios, they will have another 1-2 big guns in their roster before this next gen is over and they will have a commanding lead in the streaming/service side if I had to guess right now (ie: the fabled Netflix of gaming) which is more important than physical hardware install base.

But even on that side I think MS will eat into Sony's marketshare, particularly in North America, I think they could outsell the PS5 in US + Canada.