By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Your Xbox Series SX & PS5 lifetime sales predictions

100M PS5
85M Xbox Series and 50M Gamepass Users.

Around the Network

It's impossible to predict at this point. Can I bump this thread in 2 years?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

MasonADC said:
drinkandswim said:
35 Million Xbox Series
75 Million PS5

Imagine all of the doom articles we would get if these numbers turned out true 

This generation is going to end on:

PS4 : 130 million

XB1 : 50-60 million

0D0 said:
It's impossible to predict at this point. Can I bump this thread in 2 years?

That's part of the fun though. These won't be taken seriously.

Yeah PS5 might be higher than I predict, but im sticking with it. I doubt Microsoft will sell over 35 million life time. Console demand is in decline.

Around the Network
drinkandswim said:

Yeah PS5 might be higher than I predict, but im sticking with it. I doubt Microsoft will sell over 35 million life time. Console demand is in decline.

Is it though? Nintendo 8th gen consoles combined 89.33m(3DS family 75.77 million Wii U 13.56 million) / Nintendo Switch 63.4M units sold since March 2017. Switch Pro will keep momentum going for another 3 years or so. So will likely match sales on last generation consoles on one console.

PS3 + Xbox 360 combined 171.4M (PS3 87.4M and 360 84M) / PS4 + Xbox One sales  combined - 163M (113M PS4/Pro 50M Xbox One/S/X). PS4 will keep selling for another 2 years minimum and Xbox One S for at least another year.

The whole world situation has everyone going on a buying spree, consoles and games sales are spiking and console gaming is on the rise. Hell, even PC gaming has gone nuts. Just look at the preorder fiasco for graphics cards and console preorders.

Last edited by hinch - on 30 September 2020

The thing is Switch isnt a traditional home console. Its part handheld and that is its major selling feature. Because cloud gaming isn’t there yet and mobile controls are barely acceptable for any decent game, plus the screen is too small.

Causes of console demand decline IMO:

1) Casuals moving towards mobile/handheld gaming

2) Cloud gaming

3) PC Gaming subscriptions (EA Play/Game Pass, etc.)

4) Gaming PC cost decline

There are still a lot of hardcore Playstation and Microsoft gamers and they will probably still buy consoles. But here is the thing u dont need an expensive PC to cloud game. U can cloud game on your phone now. But even so when u add all the costs of really utilizing a 4k/8k console (TV, hard drive expansion) and the limitations of a console vs a PC then the costs really aren’t that much different.

Im not saying my projections will be right but its just what i see is the market moving more away from dedicated consoles. If u look at Stadia, Amazon, Microsoft u see they are getting third party games too. And Nvidia Geforce Now. Theres a ton of competition. I think gaming in general is growing, but gaming on consoles specifically will continue to decline.

Its very interesting to me though and fun to watch. 

Last edited by drinkandswim - on 30 September 2020

src said:
MasonADC said:

Imagine all of the doom articles we would get if these numbers turned out true 

This generation is going to end on:

PS4 : 130 million

XB1 : 50-60 million

yeah i know why are you telling me this

PS5 90 million
Xbox 40 million

drinkandswim said:

Handheld Gaming was taken over by Mobile Gaming, thats true, but to say that the demand for Consoles are down due to PC/etc, thats completely false.