By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 vs Xbox Series X ...one advantage

JimmyFantasy said:

I think it's all a matter of games, not technical power or services.
If you already have a PS4 then there is no reason to switch to an Xbox Series, because you will keep playing your PS4 games (and their next iterations) on PS5.

Having saying that, if you like games like Final Fantasy 16, Rachet & Clank, Demon's Souls, the next Persona, next Street Fighter, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, God of War or Horizon you should go with PlayStation. Otherwise, if you like more games like Halo, Forza, Fable, Hellblade, Killer Instinct you should get an XBox.

Keep in mind that there will be no visible graphics/performance difference between PS5 and XBox X games, multiplatforms games will run almost the same.

I'm not considering Xbox series S at all, since it's not a full power next gen machine, it's aimed to the casual gamers low on budget.

True... but its not that there will be ndiferene between them though. its just that as you said those differences will not be noticeable/visible. And the XSS should be considered.

To elaborate. 

On the differences, people look at the 12TF vs 10TF thing and seem to think that it means that the PS5 ould be running at around a 15-20% lower resolution than the XSX. But the world of dynamic resolutions we are in today, that couldn't be further from the truth. Its more like both consoles would run at Native 4K (2160p), but the PS5 will drop to like 1900p/2052p around 10 - 15% of the time. If at all, and assuming we are looking at a game that is truly stressing both machines. This is likely to happen in scenes that are very busy, and here even harder to spot (not like it would even be easy to spot rez differences that minor when already dealing with resolutions that high).

The other difference is the SSD, not gonna go too much into this, but a simple way to put it. Anything at all SSD related that the XSX can do? The PS5 can do it twice as fast.  There will be times and games where this is made apparent. And the times coming where we will se texture pop-in or obvious LOD scaling on the XSX that will be non-existent on the PS5.

As for the XSS, its an entry-level digital-only console. Sony's answer to that is the PS5D. Which is their own entry-level digital-only console. A budget-minded gamer, that is neutral, will look at the $299 and $399 boxes. Its kinda easy seeing why it may just be better to spend $100moreonthe PS5D. But the important thing is, for the budget casual, that $100 difference is not going to be enough to sway them from getting a PS5D and going with an XSS. It's not like they are the same thing.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:

I definitely think we'll have a closer generation in terms of sales, Microsoft have played it smart, while Sony have played it safe... either way I'm excited to see how both perform, and this will be the first gen where I'm most likely gonna' have both consoles within a year of release (Looking at a Series S, price is decent and Game Pass is great!)

Exciting times ahead my dude, exciting times indeed! 

How has sony played it "safe"?

I can't think of a single thing that they should have done or could have done better. Like a single area, I could say... ok, sony dropped the ball here and they should have done this or that. I agree that MShasplayed it smart though, they have done everything they can do to try and level the playing field.

You could make the list giving even more advantages to MS, still it won't outsell PS. And there have been plenty of threads over it here. So basically are you just trying to promote your video?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

d21lewis said:

Microsoft seems to be much better equipped this gen.
-They have the power advantage that everyone made such a big deal about last gen.
-They have a price advantage with the Series S
-Game Pass with EA is a hell of a value
-They've pretty much made Xbox portable with the streaming service
-The studios they've purchased should start paying off any day now...🙄
-They have the payment plan option so existing subscribers can get an S or even an X pretty painlessly--and the streaming app should create a wealth of new subscribers.

On paper, they're in a good place and poised to do but business.

Sony has the brand power, loyalty, and consumer trust. It's going to be an interesting battle, this time opposed to the 8th gen where PS4 held every advantage before the consoles even launched.

*Haven't watched the video yet. I'm in bed and my wife is still asleep

* fuck yo wife

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

d21lewis said:

-They have the power advantage that everyone made such a big deal about last gen.
-They have the payment plan option so existing subscribers can get an S or even an X pretty painlessly--and the streaming app should create a wealth of new subscribers.

Sony has the brand power, loyalty, and consumer trust. It's going to be an interesting battle, this time opposed to the 8th gen where PS4 held every advantage before the consoles even launched.

Something puzzles me about the Xbox fans who defend that Series S is a perfectly fine machine with 1440p resolution but Series X is better than PS5 as it has the brute force advantage. This whole sentence is perplexing to even entertain and damn contradictory. If Series S with 1/3 of the GPU power of Series X is perfectly fine doing 1440p, then PS5 with 85% of the power of Series X has only negligible power differential. If Series S can do 1440p, then PS5 can do 1800p or higher, which 99% of the people will not be able to tell! So please stop exaggerating the power differential, it's not there.

However, for $100 more money, the power gap between Series S and Playstation 5 is HUGE, not only the GPU gap (2.5x times), but also larger and much faster SSD, with practically the same fidelity as the Series X is a no brainer. With Playstation digital, you basically get the Series X power but with Playstation exclusives.

Series S is only good for those who could not care about the resolution at all (for young kids who wouldn't know better, as a gift where price is priority, or if you do not have or plan to have a TV better than 1080p). Other than that,  Xbox Series S is a deal breaker (compared to Playstation 5) although in a vacuum, it's a perfectly fine console (and what consoles should be, small, sleek, efficient, and humble).

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network

Both have their advantages. Games that appeal to me are mostly the same this gen across PS4 and Xbone but it will spike in the Xbox favor next gen thanks to their acquisitions. That and the insane value you get on Xbox makes it a no brainer for my first console and then I’ll get a PS5 a year or so later when a good bundle is out, same as this gen.

freedquaker said:
d21lewis said:

Something puzzles me about the Xbox fans who defend that Series S is a perfectly fine machine with 1440p resolution but Series X is better than PS5 as it has the brute force advantage. This whole sentence is perplexing to even entertain and damn contradictory. If Series S with 1/3 of the GPU power of Series X is perfectly fine doing 1440p, then PS5 with 85% of the power of Series X has only negligible power differential. If Series S can do 1440p, then PS5 can do 1800p or higher, which 99% of the people will not be able to tell! So please stop exaggerating the power differential, it's not there.

It is "perfectly fine", for the targeted audience... Not people like us on forums.

It isn't contradictory in the slightest. They are different products with different purposes.

The series X does have more power, how that translates to games will reveal itself in time. To say the power gap isn't there is just a lie. 

In a time like this and if MS push and market it correctly, gamepass and the subscription service 35 month for the Series X will be a very tempting offer to a lot of people who will want a system on purchase to be able to play loads of games without making one purchase. That is a strong advantage. With that said, Sony has not made any mistakes and the PS5 will be a beast and they have the exclusives. Sony will definitely lead in this race but who knows how things will go as the years pile up. If anything, MS is in a position to gain and Sony needs to make sure they do not get a big head and not respect their competition.

freedquaker said:

However, for $100 more money, the power gap between Series S and Playstation 5 is HUGE, not only the GPU gap (2.5x times), but also larger and much faster SSD, with practically the same fidelity as the Series X is a no brainer. With Playstation digital, you basically get the Series X power but with Playstation exclusives.

Series S is only good for those who could not care about the resolution at all (for young kids who wouldn't know better, as a gift where price is priority, or if you do not have or plan to have a TV better than 1080p). Other than that,  Xbox Series S is a deal breaker (compared to Playstation 5) although in a vacuum, it's a perfectly fine console (and what consoles should be, small, sleek, efficient, and humble).

Just to correct something...

1800p (3200 x 1800): Is actually a 30% difference pixel count.

The PS5, with its 17% power difference would more likely in the worst-case scenarios see dips from 3456 x 1944 (19% difference) to 3548 x 2016 (12% difference). Those are also all true 16:9 resolutions (divisible by 8) so easier to scale. And this is all deterministic, resolution scaling is a direct by-product of shader proficiency. Because that exactly what the shaders do, color pixels.

This doesn't mean in any way through that the PS5 will be running games at any one of those listed resolutions constantly though. Is kinda like this instead; XSX@4K30fps is actually running internally at something like 4K45fps most of the time but outputting a steady 30fps. That FPS buffer of 15fps is what keeps framerates from dropping below 30fpswhen things get busy.

The PS5 thus has some leeway. So the PS5 would be internally running the same game at like 4K35fps most of the time, but those times when things get busy, the XSX will hold its native 4K rez and maintain its 30fps, while or the PS to maintain ts 30fps it would've to drop the native rez down to like 2016p.

These however are all things that would be impossible to notice.

d21lewis said:

Is it really a battle at this point?  I feel like XB is carving out part of the market that they're better suited to serve, rather than competing directly with Sony.  It's almost like it doesn't matter to MS how well Sony does.