By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 vs Xbox Series X ...one advantage

Intrinsic said:
freedquaker said:

Something puzzles me about the Xbox fans who defend that Series S is a perfectly fine machine with 1440p resolution but Series X is better than PS5 as it has the brute force advantage. This whole sentence is perplexing to even entertain and damn contradictory. If Series S with 1/3 of the GPU power of Series X is perfectly fine doing 1440p, then PS5 with 85% of the power of Series X has only negligible power differential. If Series S can do 1440p, then PS5 can do 1800p or higher, which 99% of the people will not be able to tell! So please stop exaggerating the power differential, it's not there.

However, for $100 more money, the power gap between Series S and Playstation 5 is HUGE, not only the GPU gap (2.5x times), but also larger and much faster SSD, with practically the same fidelity as the Series X is a no brainer. With Playstation digital, you basically get the Series X power but with Playstation exclusives.

Series S is only good for those who could not care about the resolution at all (for young kids who wouldn't know better, as a gift where price is priority, or if you do not have or plan to have a TV better than 1080p). Other than that,  Xbox Series S is a deal breaker (compared to Playstation 5) although in a vacuum, it's a perfectly fine console (and what consoles should be, small, sleek, efficient, and humble).

Just to correct something...

1800p (3200 x 1800): Is actually a 30% difference pixel count.

The PS5, with its 17% power difference would more likely in the worst-case scenarios see dips from 3456 x 1944 (19% difference) to 3548 x 2016 (12% difference). Those are also all true 16:9 resolutions (divisible by 8) so easier to scale. And this is all deterministic, resolution scaling is a direct by-product of shader proficiency. Because that exactly what the shaders do, color pixels.

This doesn't mean in any way through that the PS5 will be running games at any one of those listed resolutions constantly though. Is kinda like this instead; XSX@4K30fps is actually running internally at something like 4K45fps most of the time but outputting a steady 30fps. That FPS buffer of 15fps is what keeps frame rates from dropping below 30fpswhen things get busy.

The PS5 thus has some leeway. So the PS5 would be internally running the same game at like 4K35fps most of the time, but those times when things get busy, the XSX will hold its native 4K rez and maintain its 30fps, while or the PS to maintain ts 30fps it would've to drop the native rez down to like 2016p.

These however are all things that would be impossible to notice.

I said 1800p or HIGHER, which could easily be 2160 p (true 4K) as well in less demanding titles or the same resolution with a bit fewer frame rates or identical resolution and frame rates with a notch down on graphical settings or in some cases no difference at all. What will happen in most titles, in my opinion though, most developers will target 60 fps with dynamic resolution. So we will get 60 fps on all consoles regardless (with basically the same much better CPU) but the resolution will scale dynamically. For Series S, it will jump between 1080p and 1440p, while for PS5 and Series X, it will jump between 1440p and 2160p, and usually between 1800p and 2160p. I'd say, Series X will be closer to 4K overall, but the 17% arithmetic difference is only perceived as a 8-9% difference (in both axes) and any difference less than 10% is usually unnoticed by the brain, or at least not cared about.

In short 92% x 92% resolution for PS5 is practically indistinguishable for 90% of the people, not really a big deal for the rest. For all intents and purposes, these machines have the same power.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network

All Access could be huge. It's the one advantage that should make a real difference.

gamepass plus series s is great for casuals,

but if u want the big guns,
stick with the ps5

kirby007 said:
d21lewis said:

Microsoft seems to be much better equipped this gen.
-They have the power advantage that everyone made such a big deal about last gen.
-They have a price advantage with the Series S
-Game Pass with EA is a hell of a value
-They've pretty much made Xbox portable with the streaming service
-The studios they've purchased should start paying off any day now...🙄
-They have the payment plan option so existing subscribers can get an S or even an X pretty painlessly--and the streaming app should create a wealth of new subscribers.

On paper, they're in a good place and poised to do but business.

Sony has the brand power, loyalty, and consumer trust. It's going to be an interesting battle, this time opposed to the 8th gen where PS4 held every advantage before the consoles even launched.

*Haven't watched the video yet. I'm in bed and my wife is still asleep

* fuck yo wife

😂

Twitter: @d21lewis

d21lewis said:
freedquaker said:

Something puzzles me about the Xbox fans who defend that Series S is a perfectly fine machine with 1440p resolution but Series X is better than PS5 as it has the brute force advantage. This whole sentence is perplexing to even entertain and damn contradictory. If Series S with 1/3 of the GPU power of Series X is perfectly fine doing 1440p, then PS5 with 85% of the power of Series X has only negligible power differential. If Series S can do 1440p, then PS5 can do 1800p or higher, which 99% of the people will not be able to tell! So please stop exaggerating the power differential, it's not there.

However, for $100 more money, the power gap between Series S and Playstation 5 is HUGE, not only the GPU gap (2.5x times), but also larger and much faster SSD, with practically the same fidelity as the Series X is a no brainer. With Playstation digital, you basically get the Series X power but with Playstation exclusives.

Series S is only good for those who could not care about the resolution at all (for young kids who wouldn't know better, as a gift where price is priority, or if you do not have or plan to have a TV better than 1080p). Other than that,  Xbox Series S is a deal breaker (compared to Playstation 5) although in a vacuum, it's a perfectly fine console (and what consoles should be, small, sleek, efficient, and humble).

I'm getting a Series X AND PS4! Yeah, getting the Series S is like getting the low end model of a fancy sports car but it's still a fancy sports car. The bolded doesn't apply to me. I still game on the original Xbox One and PS4 as well as the upgraded mid gen versions. I wasn't one of those who complained/bragged about 900p 30fps games on Xbox vs 1080p 60fps games on Xbox One. I won't be one of those guys this upcoming gen, either. Hell, I still game on the Wii U and Switch!

For those who complained last gen about price, you can get a Series S for $300 or you can subscribe to Game Pass and get a Series S for like $15 a month or a Series X for like $20 a month (or something like that). Coming up with $500 on day one isn't an issue anymore. It's like a cell phone plan.

For what it offers, I could see myself getting an S for my other rooms. I already have an Xbox One X in my man cave and an original 2013 Xbox in my living room. Yeah, there's a difference but, when I just want to play a game, the difference doesn't matter. And really, the performance difference hasn't been a big deal until recently.

Last gen, XBO had pretty much nothing going for itself besides features. It cost $100 more, offered worse versions of multiplayer, offered less exclusives, etc. This time, pretty much every complaint has been nullified. Microsoft is throwing everything at this generation to succeed. People can't use those old arguments now.

I believe it’s $25 a month for Series S ($15 per month extra beyond the $10/mo game pass cost) and $35/mo for a series X ($25/mo beyond the monthly game pass cost). 

Around the Network

@video:
You can still play PS 1/2/3 games with PS now, tho I know that’s extra.

But XBox is actually the outlier with backwards compatibility. You mentioned having the Switch, and they don’t offer backwards compatibility, either. I mean, for many of Nintendo’s games, there isn’t any way to play them on Switch at all. I bought a Switch as my first-ever Nintendo console, with a major reason being the ability to finally play SM Galaxy 1/2, and that only just now became possible for SMG 1–attached to a $60 price tag (which I bought anyway, of course).

In general, at least for PS, I don’t get the frustration about BC. For me, it would be a nice bonus, but honestly, the only game all gen that I was left upset not being able to play on my ps4 was Portal 2. But I would be more than happy to buy a remaster of that.

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 19 September 2020

pitzy272 said:
d21lewis said:

I'm getting a Series X AND PS4! Yeah, getting the Series S is like getting the low end model of a fancy sports car but it's still a fancy sports car. The bolded doesn't apply to me. I still game on the original Xbox One and PS4 as well as the upgraded mid gen versions. I wasn't one of those who complained/bragged about 900p 30fps games on Xbox vs 1080p 60fps games on Xbox One. I won't be one of those guys this upcoming gen, either. Hell, I still game on the Wii U and Switch!

For those who complained last gen about price, you can get a Series S for $300 or you can subscribe to Game Pass and get a Series S for like $15 a month or a Series X for like $20 a month (or something like that). Coming up with $500 on day one isn't an issue anymore. It's like a cell phone plan.

For what it offers, I could see myself getting an S for my other rooms. I already have an Xbox One X in my man cave and an original 2013 Xbox in my living room. Yeah, there's a difference but, when I just want to play a game, the difference doesn't matter. And really, the performance difference hasn't been a big deal until recently.

Last gen, XBO had pretty much nothing going for itself besides features. It cost $100 more, offered worse versions of multiplayer, offered less exclusives, etc. This time, pretty much every complaint has been nullified. Microsoft is throwing everything at this generation to succeed. People can't use those old arguments now.

I believe it’s $25 a month for Series S ($15 per month extra beyond the $10/mo game pass cost) and $35/mo for a series X ($25/mo beyond the monthly game pass cost). 

Yeah. My post was FULL of errors. Calling PS5 a "PS4" and at one point calling PS4 an Xbox One! No idea where my head was at.

Twitter: @d21lewis

What do u mean series s is not full power next gen.. The only difference between series x and series s is resolution.. It will. Have same graphical stuff to series x but render at 1440p.. That's still a huge leap over last gen as alot of gamers still don't have native 4k monitor or TV let alone ones that support 120 frames. U will see graphical differences. It will be as obvious a ps4 pro vs  xbox one x or even ps4 vs xbox one. 

JimmyFantasy said:

I think it's all a matter of games, not technical power or services.
If you already have a PS4 then there is no reason to switch to an Xbox Series, because you will keep playing your PS4 games (and their next iterations) on PS5.

Having saying that, if you like games like Final Fantasy, Rachet & Clank, Demon's Souls, the next Persona, next Street Fighter, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, God of War or Horizon you should go with PlayStation. Otherwise, if you like more games like Halo, Forza, Fable, Hellblade, Killer Instinct you should get an XBox.

Keep in mind that there will be no visible graphics/performance difference between PS5 and XBox X games, multiplatforms games will run almost the same.

I'm not considering Xbox series S at all, since it's not a full power next gen machine, it's aimed to the casual gamers low on budget.

DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

When you try to copy something the problem is that the window might not be there cost wise.  Being late to the party would mean you are always late and its something MS as a company has found out on many fronts.  You either take the risk and be the leader or you wait and hope things doesn't pass you by.

True, but Xcloud is something that Sony started even before with PSNow (and sure needs to improve) while Gamepass is something they could copy very fast.

But well we know that hardly Sony is at risk of losing console sales against MS.

Sony has PS now but have they really pushed it.  Instead PS Now seems to be just another service to Sony which is why the strategy between MS and Sony on their different cloud platforms are so different.  MS whole business has shifted towards a service infrastructure, this is why MS is pushing gamepass and will continue to offer more enticing features because they look to gain as many subs outside of just the basic console.  Its not an issue of copying but infrastructure and moving their business and how they do things to a different level.  DO not get me wrong, I believe Sony is making a few early forays with putting a few of their first party games on the PC but such tentative approach.  I know Sony sees the strategy but they are willing to wait but the thing is waiting to long lose out on subs.  People only have so much money to split between these sub services and waiting to long could mean that by the time they want to get in, the window has passed.  Anyway only time will tell how this will go but I know for sure if Sony put all their first party games on PS Now day one, they would probably get near 100% buy in with the service.  Their execs do not see the bigger picture like MS and thus they could crush MS efforts if they wanted to.  Actually if they sold the PS5 with a PSNow sub plan with the hardware, it would sell like Iphones or Android phones in the 200 million + easily I believe.  With that many subs, it would easily pay for all first party big budget games with no problems at all.  Oh well, if only they were less traditional and more risk prone they could even be more dominant.

Sony is definitely in no danger of MS stealing their hardware marketshare but then again MS isn't concerned anymore about trying to take Sony hardware marketshare instead they are trying to slay bigger beast

Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

True, but Xcloud is something that Sony started even before with PSNow (and sure needs to improve) while Gamepass is something they could copy very fast.

But well we know that hardly Sony is at risk of losing console sales against MS.

Sony has PS now but have they really pushed it.  Instead PS Now seems to be just another service to Sony which is why the strategy between MS and Sony on their different cloud platforms are so different.  MS whole business has shifted towards a service infrastructure, this is why MS is pushing gamepass and will continue to offer more enticing features because they look to gain as many subs outside of just the basic console.  Its not an issue of copying but infrastructure and moving their business and how they do things to a different level.  DO not get me wrong, I believe Sony is making a few early forays with putting a few of their first party games on the PC but such tentative approach.  I know Sony sees the strategy but they are willing to wait but the thing is waiting to long lose out on subs.  People only have so much money to split between these sub services and waiting to long could mean that by the time they want to get in, the window has passed.  Anyway only time will tell how this will go but I know for sure if Sony put all their first party games on PS Now day one, they would probably get near 100% buy in with the service.  Their execs do not see the bigger picture like MS and thus they could crush MS efforts if they wanted to.  Actually if they sold the PS5 with a PSNow sub plan with the hardware, it would sell like Iphones or Android phones in the 200 million + easily I believe.  With that many subs, it would easily pay for all first party big budget games with no problems at all.  Oh well, if only they were less traditional and more risk prone they could even be more dominant.

Sony is definitely in no danger of MS stealing their hardware marketshare but then again MS isn't concerned anymore about trying to take Sony hardware marketshare instead they are trying to slay bigger beast

Gamepass copying isn`t the samething as XCloud portion so not sure why the insistence on it being hard to copy this part. For the Xcloud portion sure Sony would need to improve PSNow a lot, but seeing as they are partnering with MS to use their Azzure network, the grunt of the work is already done for the expansion when needed.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."