By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 vs Xbox Series X ...one advantage

Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

The good thing about MS doing this is that if it fails it won't harm Sony, but if it do well Sony can copy.

When you try to copy something the problem is that the window might not be there cost wise.  Being late to the party would mean you are always late and its something MS as a company has found out on many fronts.  You either take the risk and be the leader or you wait and hope things doesn't pass you by.

True, but Xcloud is something that Sony started even before with PSNow (and sure needs to improve) while Gamepass is something they could copy very fast.

But well we know that hardly Sony is at risk of losing console sales against MS.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
raidinglarastomb said:
Well it should be really Xbox series s advatange, lower resolution equals lower data needs to be pulled, so maybe ign was right Xbox series a is faster than ps5 but looking at the math I doubt it. Even with the lower data ps5 should be slightly faster😌, eg full had vs 4K. Overall looking at the specs Xbox series x is more powerful, although I do believe ps5 exclusives will look better but we are three years off that, due to draw in times

Where the hell did IGN took that from and what impact are they thinking they'll see?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

How so? U lose a 4k blu Ray player. 4k movies on blu Ray will be the norm now that all next gen console game at 4k. Plus u still have to pay 70  usd or 80 euro for a game  that's first party. With game pass u get every first party, backwards compat, ea games, xbox live, xbox games with gold and third party games for about 10 usd lol. 

Random_Matt said:

The cheap PS5 digital renders Xbox pointless in my opinion, regardless of exclusives. But I guess if Game pass is for you, then Xbox is probably a good choice.

(My god the PS5 is ugly, would be pretty good if was a lot smaller)

Intrinsic said:
Random_Matt said:

The cheap PS5 digital renders Xbox pointless in my opinion, regardless of exclusives. But I guess if Game pass is for you, then Xbox is probably a good choice.

(My god the PS5 is ugly, would be pretty good if was a lot smaller)

TOWER OF POWAHHH!

Seriously though, I think its actually beautiful especially the digital sku (which is what I am getting).

Well, maybe not beautiful, it sure is different though.

Well you know what they say, 'beauty is in the eye of the Barad-dur'.

Even though SNY did what I mostly wanted them to do, I wasn't expecting it. I didn't think they would make it as big and definitely didn't think it would look so much different than the norm. While it would be nice if it were a little smaller, as long as it's dead silent I'm fine with it. It really has little reason to make any cooling noise at all, unless they use cheap quality parts, or due to later gen games pushing the system to it's absolute limits. Even then, it should be very reasonably quiet. Looks wise it's certainly different, but I mostly don't mind. It has grown on me since it's initial unveiling.

I'm just happy it looks as though MS is going to be able to mount a reasonable response this time. For PS5 to just ride on PS4's momentum and keep the same type of lead would end up quite boring overall. If MS can produce some banger exclusives, then things will really start to get interesting.

EricHiggin said:

Even though SNY did what I mostly wanted them to do, I wasn't expecting it. I didn't think they would make it as big and definitely didn't think it would look so much different than the norm. While it would be nice if it were a little smaller, as long as it's dead silent I'm fine with it. It really has little reason to make any cooling noise at all, unless they use cheap quality parts, or due to later gen games pushing the system to it's absolute limits. Even then, it should be very reasonably quiet. Looks wise it's certainly different, but I mostly don't mind. It has grown on me since it's initial unveiling.

I'm just happy it looks as though MS is going to be able to mount a reasonable response this time. For PS5 to just ride on PS4's momentum and keep the same type of lead would end up quite boring overall. If MS can produce some banger exclusives, then things will really start to get interesting.

I personally can't wait to see the teardown.

As for the bolded,its my understanding that it would be nigh impossible for the PS5 to overheat or the fans ever get louder than a certain threshold.

Remember, Fixed power, variable-frequency.

So basically the PS5 has a peak APU power draw limit. Let's call that 250W. It would never draw more than 250W for the APU, and if some code is threatening to push the processor to a point where it would need to draw more power, it would rather downclock the CPU/GPU to stay within the power limit. This basically means that sony would have designed their cooler to accommodate for a 250W TDP. If their cooler would keep that chip cool at a steady 65C for example, the PS5 would never be hotter than that by more than a few degrees, and that would have more to do with your ambient room temperature than the console itself.

At least, this is my understanding of the tech.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
EricHiggin said:

I personally can't wait to see the teardown.

As for the bolded,its my understanding that it would be nigh impossible for the PS5 to overheat or the fans ever get louder than a certain threshold.

Remember, Fixed power, variable-frequency.

So basically the PS5 has a peak APU power draw limit. Let's call that 250W. It would never draw more than 250W for the APU, and if some code is threatening to push the processor to a point where it would need to draw more power, it would rather downclock the CPU/GPU to stay within the power limit. This basically means that sony would have designed their cooler to accommodate for a 250W TDP. If their cooler would keep that chip cool at a steady 65C for example, the PS5 would never be hotter than that by more than a few degrees, and that would have more to do with your ambient room temperature than the console itself.

At least, this is my understanding of the tech.

I tend to think it's going to look quite a bit different than the way the PS3 and PS4 internals are laid out.

That's what I meant by, "even then, it should be very reasonably quiet". Early games shouldn't push the system as hard, but even when stressed, more so later on, it shouldn't be a significant change to the cooling systems operation. If our understandings of the design are correct of course.

Im on the group that says exclusives is all that matter. And if only half the games make the launch to 2021 schedule release, then sony is basically running unopposed. I do get that the xbox will hit it off by 2022, maybe late 2021 with the acquisitions, but what kind of lead will the ps5 have by then?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Intrinsic said:
freedquaker said:

Something puzzles me about the Xbox fans who defend that Series S is a perfectly fine machine with 1440p resolution but Series X is better than PS5 as it has the brute force advantage. This whole sentence is perplexing to even entertain and damn contradictory. If Series S with 1/3 of the GPU power of Series X is perfectly fine doing 1440p, then PS5 with 85% of the power of Series X has only negligible power differential. If Series S can do 1440p, then PS5 can do 1800p or higher, which 99% of the people will not be able to tell! So please stop exaggerating the power differential, it's not there.

However, for $100 more money, the power gap between Series S and Playstation 5 is HUGE, not only the GPU gap (2.5x times), but also larger and much faster SSD, with practically the same fidelity as the Series X is a no brainer. With Playstation digital, you basically get the Series X power but with Playstation exclusives.

Series S is only good for those who could not care about the resolution at all (for young kids who wouldn't know better, as a gift where price is priority, or if you do not have or plan to have a TV better than 1080p). Other than that,  Xbox Series S is a deal breaker (compared to Playstation 5) although in a vacuum, it's a perfectly fine console (and what consoles should be, small, sleek, efficient, and humble).

Just to correct something...

1800p (3200 x 1800): Is actually a 30% difference pixel count.

The PS5, with its 17% power difference would more likely in the worst-case scenarios see dips from 3456 x 1944 (19% difference) to 3548 x 2016 (12% difference). Those are also all true 16:9 resolutions (divisible by 8) so easier to scale. And this is all deterministic, resolution scaling is a direct by-product of shader proficiency. Because that exactly what the shaders do, color pixels.

This doesn't mean in any way through that the PS5 will be running games at any one of those listed resolutions constantly though. Is kinda like this instead; XSX@4K30fps is actually running internally at something like 4K45fps most of the time but outputting a steady 30fps. That FPS buffer of 15fps is what keeps frame rates from dropping below 30fpswhen things get busy.

The PS5 thus has some leeway. So the PS5 would be internally running the same game at like 4K35fps most of the time, but those times when things get busy, the XSX will hold its native 4K rez and maintain its 30fps, while or the PS to maintain ts 30fps it would've to drop the native rez down to like 2016p.

These however are all things that would be impossible to notice.

I said 1800p or HIGHER, which could easily be 2160 p (true 4K) as well in less demanding titles or the same resolution with a bit fewer frame rates or identical resolution and frame rates with a notch down on graphical settings or in some cases no difference at all. What will happen in most titles, in my opinion though, most developers will target 60 fps with dynamic resolution. So we will get 60 fps on all consoles regardless (with basically the same much better CPU) but the resolution will scale dynamically. For Series S, it will jump between 1080p and 1440p, while for PS5 and Series X, it will jump between 1440p and 2160p, and usually between 1800p and 2160p. I'd say, Series X will be closer to 4K overall, but the 17% arithmetic difference is only perceived as a 8-9% difference (in both axes) and any difference less than 10% is usually unnoticed by the brain, or at least not cared about.

In short 92% x 92% resolution for PS5 is practically indistinguishable for 90% of the people, not really a big deal for the rest. For all intents and purposes, these machines have the same power.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

gamepass plus series s is great for casuals,

but if u want the big guns,
stick with the ps5

kirby007 said:
d21lewis said:

Microsoft seems to be much better equipped this gen.
-They have the power advantage that everyone made such a big deal about last gen.
-They have a price advantage with the Series S
-Game Pass with EA is a hell of a value
-They've pretty much made Xbox portable with the streaming service
-The studios they've purchased should start paying off any day now...🙄
-They have the payment plan option so existing subscribers can get an S or even an X pretty painlessly--and the streaming app should create a wealth of new subscribers.

On paper, they're in a good place and poised to do but business.

Sony has the brand power, loyalty, and consumer trust. It's going to be an interesting battle, this time opposed to the 8th gen where PS4 held every advantage before the consoles even launched.

*Haven't watched the video yet. I'm in bed and my wife is still asleep

* fuck yo wife

😂