By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 vs Xbox Series X ...one advantage

Bristow9091 said:
Intrinsic said:

How has sony played it "safe"?

I can't think of a single thing that they should have done or could have done better. Like a single area, I could say... ok, sony dropped the ball here and they should have done this or that. I agree that MShasplayed it smart though, they have done everything they can do to try and level the playing field.

Oh don't mistake it as a bad thing, what I mean is that they're pretty much doing what they've always done, haven't exactly deviated from what they did last gen, and that's totally fine, it's actually exactly what I wanted. Show me a console with a decent price, some nice launch exclusives and I'm happy... just like I was with the PS4, lol

Oh ok.. got it. Wasn't sure he ou meant it lol. But yh, on that I agree with you. They have played it safe. If it ain't broke...

I do applaud MS though, they have or are doing everything they should do. Literally everything. The only downside is that they should have bought up those studios a little earlier and had a slew of games available for launch n the first year too.

Its kinda messed up that they aren't really coming up at all in the on the conversation that matters right now. And that's the games. Their games would come, but I fear by then the damage would have been done. What sony has lined up for 2021 is just ridiculous. HFW, Ratchet, GOW2, Returnal, GT7, Kena, Deathloop. If even only 4 of those 7 games make 2021 that spells trouble for MS. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Bristow9091 said:

Oh don't mistake it as a bad thing, what I mean is that they're pretty much doing what they've always done, haven't exactly deviated from what they did last gen, and that's totally fine, it's actually exactly what I wanted. Show me a console with a decent price, some nice launch exclusives and I'm happy... just like I was with the PS4, lol

Oh ok.. got it. Wasn't sure he ou meant it lol. But yh, on that I agree with you. They have played it safe. If it ain't broke...

I do applaud MS though, they have or are doing everything they should do. Literally everything. The only downside is that they should have bought up those studios a little earlier and had a slew of games available for launch n the first year too.

Its kinda messed up that they aren't really coming up at all in the on the conversation that matters right now. And that's the games. Their games would come, but I fear by then the damage would have been done. What sony has lined up for 2021 is just ridiculous. HFW, Ratchet, GOW2, Returnal, GT7, Kena, Deathloop. If even only 4 of those 7 games make 2021 that spells trouble for MS. 

It would be good if MS did bring up those studios earlier but when you think about it, getting high quality content for gamepass is their true aim.  I do not believe MS will be leaving the hardware side of the business but then are definitely more concerned about content and eco system with the gamepass and their services.  Having good hardware just keeps things chugging along.  MS is isn't so concerned about beating Sony on the hardware markeshare because it would take a lot of mistakes from Sony to accomplish that task and none on MS side.  Instead, MS is looking to build their content, services and platform so that they future proof their ecosystem for long term profitability.  You do not have to beat your competition in order to be successful, you just have to rule the areas you are really good at and make it competitive.

freedquaker said:
d21lewis said:

Microsoft seems to be much better equipped this gen.
-They have the power advantage that everyone made such a big deal about last gen.
-They have a price advantage with the Series S
-Game Pass with EA is a hell of a value
-They've pretty much made Xbox portable with the streaming service
-The studios they've purchased should start paying off any day now...🙄
-They have the payment plan option so existing subscribers can get an S or even an X pretty painlessly--and the streaming app should create a wealth of new subscribers.

On paper, they're in a good place and poised to do but business.

Sony has the brand power, loyalty, and consumer trust. It's going to be an interesting battle, this time opposed to the 8th gen where PS4 held every advantage before the consoles even launched.

*Haven't watched the video yet. I'm in bed and my wife is still asleep

Something puzzles me about the Xbox fans who defend that Series S is a perfectly fine machine with 1440p resolution but Series X is better than PS5 as it has the brute force advantage. This whole sentence is perplexing to even entertain and damn contradictory. If Series S with 1/3 of the GPU power of Series X is perfectly fine doing 1440p, then PS5 with 85% of the power of Series X has only negligible power differential. If Series S can do 1440p, then PS5 can do 1800p or higher, which 99% of the people will not be able to tell! So please stop exaggerating the power differential, it's not there.

However, for $100 more money, the power gap between Series S and Playstation 5 is HUGE, not only the GPU gap (2.5x times), but also larger and much faster SSD, with practically the same fidelity as the Series X is a no brainer. With Playstation digital, you basically get the Series X power but with Playstation exclusives.

Series S is only good for those who could not care about the resolution at all (for young kids who wouldn't know better, as a gift where price is priority, or if you do not have or plan to have a TV better than 1080p). Other than that,  Xbox Series S is a deal breaker (compared to Playstation 5) although in a vacuum, it's a perfectly fine console (and what consoles should be, small, sleek, efficient, and humble).

I'm getting a Series X AND PS4! Yeah, getting the Series S is like getting the low end model of a fancy sports car but it's still a fancy sports car. The bolded doesn't apply to me. I still game on the original Xbox One and PS4 as well as the upgraded mid gen versions. I wasn't one of those who complained/bragged about 900p 30fps games on Xbox vs 1080p 60fps games on Xbox One. I won't be one of those guys this upcoming gen, either. Hell, I still game on the Wii U and Switch!

For those who complained last gen about price, you can get a Series S for $300 or you can subscribe to Game Pass and get a Series S for like $15 a month or a Series X for like $20 a month (or something like that). Coming up with $500 on day one isn't an issue anymore. It's like a cell phone plan.

For what it offers, I could see myself getting an S for my other rooms. I already have an Xbox One X in my man cave and an original 2013 Xbox in my living room. Yeah, there's a difference but, when I just want to play a game, the difference doesn't matter. And really, the performance difference hasn't been a big deal until recently.

Last gen, XBO had pretty much nothing going for itself besides features. It cost $100 more, offered worse versions of multiplayer, offered less exclusives, etc. This time, pretty much every complaint has been nullified. Microsoft is throwing everything at this generation to succeed. People can't use those old arguments now.

Bristow9091 said:
Intrinsic said:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" that's the saying I was thinking of but couldn't remember at the time lol :P

But yeah I'm very happy with the state of next gen or at least the way it's looking... Sony are just doing their usual thing which is great, and Microsoft are trying something new that I absolutely respect and can get behind, although I do hope they've got more games to show off for the first year, because compared to the PS5's first year their first party output seems a little low, but I don't mind because I'll have Game Pass AND EA Access to put me on, and there's a LOT of games I'm looking forward to playing on a Series S, currently playing the Master Chief Collection and Sunset Overdrive (both on PC) for the first time and I'm really enjoying the Halo games, and I know the console Game Pass has even more games on offer too! 

The good thing about MS doing this is that if it fails it won't harm Sony, but if it do well Sony can copy.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

d21lewis said:
freedquaker said:

Something puzzles me about the Xbox fans who defend that Series S is a perfectly fine machine with 1440p resolution but Series X is better than PS5 as it has the brute force advantage. This whole sentence is perplexing to even entertain and damn contradictory. If Series S with 1/3 of the GPU power of Series X is perfectly fine doing 1440p, then PS5 with 85% of the power of Series X has only negligible power differential. If Series S can do 1440p, then PS5 can do 1800p or higher, which 99% of the people will not be able to tell! So please stop exaggerating the power differential, it's not there.

However, for $100 more money, the power gap between Series S and Playstation 5 is HUGE, not only the GPU gap (2.5x times), but also larger and much faster SSD, with practically the same fidelity as the Series X is a no brainer. With Playstation digital, you basically get the Series X power but with Playstation exclusives.

Series S is only good for those who could not care about the resolution at all (for young kids who wouldn't know better, as a gift where price is priority, or if you do not have or plan to have a TV better than 1080p). Other than that,  Xbox Series S is a deal breaker (compared to Playstation 5) although in a vacuum, it's a perfectly fine console (and what consoles should be, small, sleek, efficient, and humble).

I'm getting a Series X AND PS4! Yeah, getting the Series S is like getting the low end model of a fancy sports car but it's still a fancy sports car. The bolded doesn't apply to me. I still game on the original Xbox One and PS4 as well as the upgraded mid gen versions. I wasn't one of those who complained/bragged about 900p 30fps games on Xbox vs 1080p 60fps games on Xbox One. I won't be one of those guys this upcoming gen, either. Hell, I still game on the Wii U and Switch!

For those who complained last gen about price, you can get a Series S for $300 or you can subscribe to Game Pass and get a Series S for like $15 a month or a Series X for like $20 a month (or something like that). Coming up with $500 on day one isn't an issue anymore. It's like a cell phone plan.

For what it offers, I could see myself getting an S for my other rooms. I already have an Xbox One X in my man cave and an original 2013 Xbox in my living room. Yeah, there's a difference but, when I just want to play a game, the difference doesn't matter. And really, the performance difference hasn't been a big deal until recently.

Last gen, XBO had pretty much nothing going for itself besides features. It cost $100 more, offered worse versions of multiplayer, offered less exclusives, etc. This time, pretty much every complaint has been nullified. Microsoft is throwing everything at this generation to succeed. People can't use those old arguments now.

The instant synchro cloud saving for you is really beneficial then.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

dunno the gamepass for PC storefront is even worse then that of Epic

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

"Great exclusive games that people will actually play" is the only advantage you need to sell consoles. It's what defines a console and the reason why people choose to buy it.

As good as it sounds that MS is at having it's ducks in order for next gen with all its services and system spec, they still lack the games that can draw our attention. Nintendo is doing extremely well simply because of its exclusive games alone and clearly they don't need to have the highest spec compared to their competitors, or the best online service (far from it lol). It's just the exclusive games. It's really that simple and that's how it always has been in the history of video games.

I'm not saying good exclusive games will make your console win the war, but it will make your console successful.

DonFerrari said:
Bristow9091 said:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" that's the saying I was thinking of but couldn't remember at the time lol :P

But yeah I'm very happy with the state of next gen or at least the way it's looking... Sony are just doing their usual thing which is great, and Microsoft are trying something new that I absolutely respect and can get behind, although I do hope they've got more games to show off for the first year, because compared to the PS5's first year their first party output seems a little low, but I don't mind because I'll have Game Pass AND EA Access to put me on, and there's a LOT of games I'm looking forward to playing on a Series S, currently playing the Master Chief Collection and Sunset Overdrive (both on PC) for the first time and I'm really enjoying the Halo games, and I know the console Game Pass has even more games on offer too! 

The good thing about MS doing this is that if it fails it won't harm Sony, but if it do well Sony can copy.

When you try to copy something the problem is that the window might not be there cost wise.  Being late to the party would mean you are always late and its something MS as a company has found out on many fronts.  You either take the risk and be the leader or you wait and hope things doesn't pass you by.

Xbox just isn't different enough to scalp Sony loyalists. When you can get 99% of Xbox games on PS, why get an Xbox?

This is why Nintendo is successful. They do their own thing and do it well. Xbox is just an American PS.

Great product, will continue to do well as a PS competitor but always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Well it should be really Xbox series s advatange, lower resolution equals lower data needs to be pulled, so maybe ign was right Xbox series a is faster than ps5 but looking at the math I doubt it. Even with the lower data ps5 should be slightly faster😌, eg full had vs 4K. Overall looking at the specs Xbox series x is more powerful, although I do believe ps5 exclusives will look better but we are three years off that, due to draw in times

old skool