By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter Rise announced for Switch, mainline entry

TheBraveGallade said:
curl-6 said:

I'm certainly no longer grumpy with Capcom; I was wrong about them, and I can admit that. Though I don't think it necessarily follows that every time a company skips the Switch it's the right decision. It depends on the circumstances. Even when I was annoyed at the apparent lack of support Capcom were showing Switch, I still understood that porting World wasn't necessarily the best move, in fact I always said they'd be better off making a new game for Switch.

I mean, on the flipside, plenty of folks said (and indeed are still saying) that after the success of World it would be a bad idea for Capcom to make a Monster Hunter game for Switch at all.

then thuse people are ignoring what made MH so sucessful in japan in the first place: local multiplayer on a handheld. it happened with the psp, it happened with the 3ds, and it will happen again with the switch once the pandemic is over. despite what capcom claims, i really don't beleive they maintained the japanese userbase with world, and they probably know this, and the ps5 is in no position if you want to grow the japanese userbase in the first place considering the ps4 without any real competiton will sell less then the ps3 with real competition(that includes the psp itself in japan honestly).

in general there are things that arn't worth porting, finantially anyway.

I can't remember the exact users but more than one person here on VGChartz defended the apparent lack of a new MH on Switch with "it's not worth the investment cos it won't sell as much as World". But yeah, Rise is going to sell huge numbers, and not just in Japan.

When the game was revealed there was also a ton of salty comments on Twitter and the like about how it making it for Switch was a "mistake".

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 September 2020

Around the Network

What is MH about? Why is it so popular?

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Stellar_Fungk said:

You track down and fight giant monsters and then use materials from their corpses to craft new weapons and armour to hunt bigger, tougher monsters.

Most fans enjoy it due to the epic, challenging battles that require you to learn and get to know your quarry, and the addictive weapon and armour crafting loop where you're constantly working towards then attaining that next cool piece of gear.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 September 2020

Stellar_Fungk said:

You go alone or with friends on a hunt for a monster as  big as a bus or so. The interesting part is, that taking down a monster can take half an hour or so, it is not some throwaway enemy. All the time you have to watch and learn the monsters movement. You also learn the weapon of choice you have, as they all play considerably different. You can craft your armor, weapons, potions, bombs, traps and other stuff from monster parts or other stuff you forage. Leaning each monsters move and specialties, what you need to bring it down including additional stuff is kinda cool.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Thank you, curl, rol and mnemeth.

I might pick this up.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes. Because now that 2 MH will be on Switch exclusively we have to finally accept that companies release their softwares where they think it makes more sense and will make they more money (even if we disagree it is the best route) and not because of hate, conspiracy theory and supposed moneyhats. Porting World to Switch would probably be a nightmare with poor result while porting the Switch games to PS4 and X1 wouldn't make a good show and sales wouldn't be good as well so they don't plan to release (even if perhaps a 2 year late port for 30-40USD could sell good, same for Octopath).

So now can we put to bed the silly monickers for companies that don't release on Switch and just accept that companies have very good market analysis and know how to make the best for their interest?

I'm certainly no longer grumpy with Capcom; I was wrong about them, and I can admit that. Though I don't think it necessarily follows that every time a company skips the Switch it's the right decision. It depends on the circumstances. Even when I was annoyed at the apparent lack of support Capcom were showing Switch, I still understood that porting World wasn't necessarily the best move, in fact I always said they'd be better off making a new game for Switch.

I mean, on the flipside, plenty of folks said (and indeed are still saying) that after the success of World it would be a bad idea for Capcom to make a Monster Hunter game for Switch at all.

Hey as I said we can totally think those companies made the wrong decision and perhaps based on bad data. The problem is on thinking it is due to silly motives like hatred, bigotry or stuff like that. Companies love money and all their decision is based on how to make more money.

For me it sure makes no sense to not port because technically it is totally feasible, but perhaps they are making much more money with DLC or have a sequel for the PS5 and Series that making the port would end making less sales for the versions on those systems. We never have the full picture available for us.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Who would have thought this game would give such Rise to arguments!

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Hey as I said we can totally think those companies made the wrong decision and perhaps based on bad data. The problem is on thinking it is due to silly motives like hatred, bigotry or stuff like that. Companies love money and all their decision is based on how to make more money.

For me it sure makes no sense to not port because technically it is totally feasible, but perhaps they are making much more money with DLC or have a sequel for the PS5 and Series that making the port would end making less sales for the versions on those systems. We never have the full picture available for us.

World could probably be ported, though it would take significant technical sacrifices, but the end results probably wouldn't sell as well as a new bespoke MH for Switch. I see a heavily downgraded World port on Switch selling a few million, but not 10 million plus like Rise could potentially do.

It's also possible that Capcom and Sony have an agreement to keep World off the Switch; there were rumors to this end before World was even announced.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 September 2020

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

World could probably be ported, though it would take significant technical sacrifices, but the end results probably wouldn't sell as well as a new bespoke MH for Switch. I see a heavily downgraded World port on Switch selling a few million, but not 10 million plus like Rise could potentially do.

It's also possible that Capcom and Sony have an agreement to keep World off the Switch; there were rumors to this end before World was even announced.

We have many untrue rumors on this site. Such as PS5 had many issues in development, production, reduced production, freaking out at Series price and that it would release for 399 and 449 just to say the last 3 months.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The TGS trailer has some new gameplay:

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

We have many untrue rumors on this site. Such as PS5 had many issues in development, production, reduced production, freaking out at Series price and that it would release for 399 and 449 just to say the last 3 months.

I'm not saying it's necessarily true, but I don't think it's that far-fetched a possibility. Moneyhats do happen; it was also said that Nintendo pulled a similar move to keep MH off the Vita.

Either way, things worked out for the best, at least in my opinion, as I'd rather have Rise than a cut back port of Monster Hunter World.