By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter Rise announced for Switch, mainline entry

Otter said:
vivster said:
From the geometry it certainly looks like an exclusive. Would take too much work to upgrade it for other platforms.

It was certainly build around Switch Specs but that doesn't mean it can't come to other platforms. I mean this generations top seller is GTAV which is a last gen port and not exactly a stunner 

GTA 5 is way above anything on the Switch. It was the highest end when it came out and it's easy to upgrade to more powerful systems without looking like a 10 year old game. You just need a few upgraded textures as the geometry is already complex enough.

If you wanted to sell Rise at full price on a next gen consoles you'd have to significantly rework it. I can't imagine a straight port other than maybe part of a collection or as a full blown remaster.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Otter said:

It was certainly build around Switch Specs but that doesn't mean it can't come to other platforms. I mean this generations top seller is GTAV which is a last gen port and not exactly a stunner 

GTA 5 is way above anything on the Switch. It was the highest end when it came out and it's easy to upgrade to more powerful systems without looking like a 10 year old game. You just need a few upgraded textures as the geometry is already complex enough.

If you wanted to sell Rise at full price on a next gen consoles you'd have to significantly rework it. I can't imagine a straight port other than maybe part of a collection or as a full blown remaster.

Plus, GTA 5 was made with multiplatform in mind, Rise doesn't seem like its the case.

vivster said:
Otter said:

GTA 5 looked like this on PS3 and 360. 

That is not "above anything on the Switch" and certainly not Monster Hunter Rise in terms of asset quality (MH has more detailed models and textures), advanced lighting features, etc. 

All MH Rise would need is some more grass and foliage and better lighting and it would look decent on the PS4. Not the best looking game, but Monster Hunter games aren't the best looking games on any platform. 

I'd much rather the job to upgrade MH Rise than GTA V. 

Anyway, comparing like to like. 

Here is Dragon's Dogma (a late PS3 game) remastered for PS4

Now compare that to MH Rise. 

Plenty of people played and enjoyed the Dragon's Dogma remaster on PS4 and I wouldn't say it looks better than MH Rise. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

*bloop*

I don't know why you edited out that whole gigantic reply to me, but I'll respect that even if I disagreed with most of what was written there. I can only hope that this change of heart is because you saw the light and decided by yourself that you were utterly wrong and this is how you show your apologies to me!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
vivster said:

GTA 5 looked like this on PS3 and 360. 

That is not "above anything on the Switch" and certainly not Monster Hunter Rise in terms of asset quality (MH has more detailed models and textures), advanced lighting features, etc. 

All MH Rise would need is some more grass and foliage and better lighting and it would look decent on the PS4. Not the best looking game, but Monster Hunter games aren't the best looking games on any platform. 

I'd much rather the job to upgrade MH Rise than GTA V. 

For the most part I would agree with that, with the exception that I thought Monster Hunter Tri was one of the nicest looking games on Wii.

Nautilus said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

*bloop*

I don't know why you edited out that whole gigantic reply to me, but I'll respect that even if I disagreed with most of what was written there. I can only hope that this change of heart is because you saw the light and decided by yourself that you were utterly wrong and this is how you show your apologies to me!

...... no?

I deleted my reply because I didn't want to get a lacking, long response that would force me to reply to numerous poor points, and I just thought it would be more peaceful. But since you had to be condescending ..... 

Reminder of the original comment being replied to: 
"its nice to see Capcom finally taking the Switch seriously"
Nothing in your reply properly defends this claim. My response to the comment was to point out that games take time. You responded to that by stating video game releases in relation to the release of their respective consoles ....

I understand what you were going for with this, but it was incredibly poorly-worded. First of all, one should never assume that there can only be one possible reason for why a company starts development at a specific time, especially when there isn't even contextual evidence to back it up ("So why didnt games come out sooner? Because Capcom was more interested in Sony and MS than Nintendo.") Here's a reason that's incredibly simple, but also verifiable just by knowing anything about Monster Hunter's development schedule: mainline Monster Hunter has two teams. The one that made Iceborne, World and 4, and the one that made Generations and Generations Ultimate. The one that made Generations and Generations Ultimate is the team making this game, hence the close release after Iceborne. The last game they released was Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate on the Nintendo Switch in ... August 2017. And remember how you already agreed with the premise that this game has been in development for 3 years, most likely 4 by the time of it's release? That matches up perfectly with the release of Generations Ultimate. In fact, assuming we're counting the Switch release as their last game, that would mean they were developing Rise while still porting the Generations Ultimate to the Switch (which is pretty common for developers to test out new hardware). But even if we want to say that doesn't count because the Japanese 3DS version launched five months earlier, that would still place the start of development for this game right at the release month of the Switch, four years before Rise's release. And don't pull the "Switch sales were already known to be good in it's first few weeks by then!", because that makes no sense. Publishers don't get on their hands and knees the moment a console starts selling. The Wii U sold very well in it's first month. 

So already by your own admission, the Monster Hunter team responsible for making this game, who was already busy developing Monster Hunter games on the 3DS during the planning for the Switch, was busy during the entire Switch's life on the market making Rise. And let's remember, RE Engine, the engine being used by Rise, didn't even debut till two months before the Switch came out. Which just makes this whole posturing about how Capcom never cared, all the sillier. But no, there couldn't possibly be any other reason... 

Now we can talk about games like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry etc all we want. The only reason I'm even addressing this is because I know it will come up. And yea, that really is a case where, in a combination of in-house manpower and the goals of the publisher internally, there hasn't been a new release on the Switch. But that's besides the point, mainly because we're talking about Monster Hunter -and by your own admission announcing two exclusive games is an adequate sign of a company "finally taking the Switch seriously" - but also because Monster Hunter were the only games that did particularly well on the 3DS (the others did fine, especially Street Fighter, but nothing great). It's honestly amazing we're even getting stuff like Stories 2 when the original Stories did very mediocre in sales, despite Capcom trying to make it a big thing. But nope, Capcom doesn't care. I would like to see Capcom try and port those titles as much as the next guy, just because I like to see companies put in as much effort as possible, but it's not like it's a bad thing that they target specific platforms with their games. Companies like CD Projekt Red have half the employees of Capcom and only release one big game in the span of five years. Whereas the internal development ideology at Capcom is clearly to make more games in more franchises and continuously evolve. Again, you can always hire third party studios to port your game, and I think we can all agree that would be interesting to say the least, but I'm just covering as many bases as possible because these discussions always play out like a game of throwing as many darts at a wall till something sticks. 

Your own comment contradicts itself anyways, and that's why it comes off like a jumbled mess. I mean even the initial premise is flawed. A game releasing soon shows that a company finally takes the Switch seriously? Doesn't the fact that it took years of development before the announcement show that they cared all along? Why would the announcement itself be the prerequisite to a company "finally taking the Switch seriously"? It's just silly. And it's not a nitpick when it's the entire point I'm responding to. You say that "Its not that Capcom had no faith in the Switch" but then say "Which further enhances the theory that Capcom had zero faith in the console before it launched". Nobody is doubting Capcom is more Playstation/Xbox/PC focused (and to be clear, they're only Xbox focused because it's convenient, not because of anything else), but arguments like this are just bad. 

Capcom will show more of the game at Tokyo Game Show Online this week:

https://tgs-online.eventos.tokyo/web/portal/309/event/1214/module/booth/31991/21573

https://www.asia.capcom.com/tgs/en/

Also, the official website it up:

https://www.monsterhunter.com/rise/us/ 

Jpcc86 said:

I take it you are eating your Joycons right about now? @curl-6 

Haven't got through all 12 pages with comments, however if I were him I wouldn't be eating anything yet.

Chances are the physical release will be the title screen and 99% download lol

dx11332sega said:
So, does this mean capcom is no longer crapcom ? Also I'm happy Switch got it's own exclusive monster hunters

The main reason for this stigma isn't because the games are crap, it is because the way they present the physical releases, half assed on the smallest cart available, so you essentially buying a broken game until you download the rest to play it.