By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter Rise announced for Switch, mainline entry

curl-6 said:

The TGS trailer has some new gameplay:

DonFerrari said:

We have many untrue rumors on this site. Such as PS5 had many issues in development, production, reduced production, freaking out at Series price and that it would release for 399 and 449 just to say the last 3 months.

I'm not saying it's necessarily true, but I don't think it's that far-fetched a possibility. Moneyhats do happen; it was also said that Nintendo pulled a similar move to keep MH off the Vita.

Either way, things worked out for the best, at least in my opinion, as I'd rather have Rise than a cut back port of Monster Hunter World.

The fact is I like having the situation of MH games being  tailored specifically for each platform  you not only get a tailored solution but if also also gives the developer the option of bringing new features that have been successful and are translatable from one series across to the other, so why you end up having separate series they evolve as one, well at least in my head that's how it should happen.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

The first live gameplay is now streaming from Tokyo Game Show Online:

https://www.twitch.tv/capcomusa

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 September 2020

Japanese devs are so damn wholesome , mostly full with passion about their project.
LOVE.IT

mjk45 said:
curl-6 said:

The TGS trailer has some new gameplay:

I'm not saying it's necessarily true, but I don't think it's that far-fetched a possibility. Moneyhats do happen; it was also said that Nintendo pulled a similar move to keep MH off the Vita.

Either way, things worked out for the best, at least in my opinion, as I'd rather have Rise than a cut back port of Monster Hunter World.

The fact is I like having the situation of MH games being  tailored specifically for each platform  you not only get a tailored solution but if also also gives the developer the option of bringing new features that have been successful and are translatable from one series across to the other, so why you end up having separate series they evolve as one, well at least in my head that's how it should happen.

Yeah I prefer it this way as well. Not only does everyone get an experience that takes proper advantage of their hardware, but as you say, the two branches of the franchise cross-pollinate ideas which drives the evolution of the series. Rise for example clearly benefits from a lot of the refinements of World, and the next entry on PS5/XS/PC will almost certainly adapt elements from Rise.

It also allows them to be more experimental; if the series had only one line, it would be risky to try something as different as redesigning mobility around the wirebug.

DonFerrari said:
So are we going accuse Nintendo from moneyhatting this to not release on Playstation?

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a moneyhat.  It wouldn't surprise me if World was a moneyhat either.  We'll never know for sure.  But the Monster Hunter series is the most important third party series for Japan.  I wouldn't blame either Nintendo or Sony for a moneyhat in this case.

Around the Network

The TGS gameplay showed us some new details:

- You can move while eating or drinking potions like in MH World

- "Endemic life" you find throughout the level grants you temporary buffs

- You get two Wirebugs at a time, though this can be buffed to three, and each has a cooldown timer after use

- You can find hidden "Great Wirebugs" that give you a huge boost up to a high place

- Perhaps most importantly, you can pet the dog

Signalstar said:
Mnementh said:

Well, the game has no number, so not mainline

Tell me which numbers come before and after "World" on the number line?

Isn’t World more of a premium spinoff?

* Premium spinoff - as in not mainline, but just as important, if not more important. Kind of like World of Warcraft or Ultima Online.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Dulfite said:
Who would have thought this game would give such Rise to arguments!

When the opportunity to strike up an argument aRises, why not Rise to the occasio?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Dulfite said:
Who would have thought this game would give such Rise to arguments!

When the opportunity to strike up an argument aRises, why not Rise to the occasio?

The sun has not yet to Rise where I live, and yet I just did aRise out of bed and read this. Thank you for raising this to my attention. I hope this dialogue gives rise to more productive contemplations.

Jumpin said:
Signalstar said:

Tell me which numbers come before and after "World" on the number line?

Isn’t World more of a premium spinoff?

* Premium spinoff - as in not mainline, but just as important, if not more important. Kind of like World of Warcraft or Ultima Online.

IIRC Capcom have said they won't be numbering MH games anymore, but rather using subtitles they feel reflect the experience like World and Rise.

Both games are mainline are neither are spinoffs.