By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 37, 2020 (Sept 07 - Sep 13)

Tagged games:

Rune Factory 5 pushed back to 2021.. a bit unfortunate for Marvelous

Anyhow, 2021 in Japan is shaping up to be another peak year. Also, Capcom will be the Top 3rd Party publisher on the Switch by the middle of 2021, from their current position outside of the Top 5. 



Around the Network
Marth said:

So for Switch momentum is not stopping in the slightest

Not only should shipments increase more and more we got:

Mario 3D AllStars

Fitness Boxing 2

Super Mario 3D World

Monster Hunter Rise

Monster Hunter Stories 2

Disgaea 6

Rune Factory 5

Honestly 2021 is probably going to blow away every other year software-wise for the Switch. Nintendo has said they have big plans for first party titles next year, 3rd parties are finally coming out with AAA games specifically for the Switch instead of old downgraded games, and Switch is finally getting new versions of Japanese-centric games. I don't think hardware sales could possibly top this year, but software should be insane and between that and the new model that could keep hardware in the 25 million range. MH Rise I assume will sell a few million in Japan alone, and could join the ranks of Smash, Pokemon, Splatoon, and Mario Kart on the system over 4+ million eventually.



IcaroRibeiro said:
Mario Kart 8 sales are so underrated, I feel it will outsell Sword and Shield and Smash eventually and become the second best selling Switch game on JP

Spoke to soon, MH will take that honor with 7mil sales

like I been saying all year, 2021 will peak and beat 2020 sales imo



tbone51 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:
Mario Kart 8 sales are so underrated, I feel it will outsell Sword and Shield and Smash eventually and become the second best selling Switch game on JP

Spoke to soon, MH will take that honor with 7mil sales

like I been saying all year, 2021 will peak and beat 2020 sales imo

Goddamn, that definitely qualifies as a bold prediction. Hope you make a thread for it.



Another stable week for Switch results in a comfortable year over year win against 2019. Launch of Switch Lite is upcoming, so the next two weeks should be clear losses for 2020, but that will only chip away a little bit of the already massive year over year YTD lead.

The more pressing question is how serious tbone51 is with his "Monster Hunter Rise will sell 7m in Japan" comment. In any case, this timely announcement by Capcom must be like a dagger in Sony Japan's heart. The PS5 wouldn't have had it easy to begin with, but March 2021 is just mean.

Week 2019 Weekly 2019 Cumulative 2020 Weekly 2020 Cumulative Difference Weekly Difference Cumulative
1 225.698 225.698 284.827 284.827 59.129 59.129
2 83.136 308.834 116.301 401.128 33.165 92.294
3 71.672 380.506 96.458 497.586 24.786 117.080
4 51.556 432.062 67.987 565.573 16.431 133.511
5 66.448 498.510 75.922 641.495 9.474 142.985
6 61.042 559.552 100.961 741.456 39.919 181.904
7 64.313 623.865 80.312 821.948 15.999 198.083
8 49.139 673.004 41.490 863.258 -7.649 190.254
9 66.453 739.457 53.098 916.356 -13.355 176.899
10 67.624 807.081 50.585 967.941 -17.039 160.860
11 55.478 862.559 57.274 1.025.215 1.796 162.656
12 56.812 919.371 392.576 1.417.791 335.764 498.420
13 49.852 969.223 282.561 1.700.352 232.709 731.129
14 46.850 1.016.073 154.640 1.854.992 107.790 838.919
15 54.101 1.070.174 25.313 1.880.305 -28.788 810.131
16 40.338 1.110.512 27.874 1.908.179 -12.464 797.667
17 42.108 1.152.620 107.104 2.015.284 64.996 862.664
18 41.735 1.194.355 78.731 2.094.015 36.996 899.660
19 41.736 1.236.091 78.731 2.172.746 36.995 936.655
20 32.564 1.268.655 38.380 2.211.126 5.816 942.471
21 25.936 1.294.591 52.557 2.263.683 26.621 969.092
22 33.154 1.327.745 107.593 2.371.276 74.439 1.043.531
23 33.590 1.361.335 68.192 2.439.468 34.602 1.078.133
24 34.321 1.395.656 55.187 2.494.655 20.866 1.098.999
25 29.058 1.424.714 78.428 2.573.083 49.370 1.148.369
26 59.184 1.483.898 93.799 2.666.882 34.615 1.182.984
27 75.481 1.559.379 52.250 2.719.132 -23.231 1.159.753
28 55.823 1.615.202 96.879 2.816.011 41.056 1.200.809
29 45.596 1.660.798 113.197 2.929.208 67.601 1.268.410
30 42.689 1.703.487 125.231 3.054.439 82.542 1.350.952
31 36.613 1.740.100 86.605 3.141.044 49.992 1.400.944
32 46.338 1.786.438 173.338 3.314.382 127.000 1.527.944
33 46.339 1.832.777 148.699 3.463.081 102.360 1.630.304
34 30.072 1.862.849 70.129 3.533.210 40.057 1.670.361
35 90.553 1.953.402 78.773 3.611.983 -11.780 1.658.581
36 77.392 2.030.794 77.611 3.689.594 219 1.658.800
37 51.619 2.082.413 83.920 3.773.514 32.301 1.691.101
38 239.740 2.322.153
39 196.489 2.518.642
40 89.137 2.607.779
41 56.680 2.664.459
42 54.067 2.718.526
43 69.438 2.787.964
44 119.397 2.907.361
45 88.772 2.996.133
46 180.136 3.176.269
47 179.992 3.356.261
48 186.763 3.543.024
49 188.501 3.731.525
50 236.625 3.968.150
51 291.485 4.259.614
52 234.268 4.493.885


Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

If shipments are big enough I wouldn't be surprised if the next couple weeks aren't that much down YoY. With Monster Hunter the first half of 2021 could keep up well with the first half of this year.



For the past several weeks Switch sales have been slightly less than RFA + AC sales.  This week Switch sales are actually more than RFA + AC sales.  There are actually some people in Japan buying a Switch and not getting RFA or AC immediately.  Who are these people?

Switch sales = 83,920
RFA + AC = 43,459 + 31,558 = 75,017



The_Liquid_Laser said:

For the past several weeks Switch sales have been slightly less than RFA + AC sales.  This week Switch sales are actually more than RFA + AC sales.  There are actually some people in Japan buying a Switch and not getting RFA or AC immediately.  Who are these people?

Switch sales = 83,920
RFA + AC = 43,459 + 31,558 = 75,017

I don't see how RFA has any effect on Switch Lite sales.



Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Monster Hunter Rise will keep a tremendous momentum going next year. It was exactly the type of game needed early next year.



UnderwaterFunktown said:
tbone51 said:

Spoke to soon, MH will take that honor with 7mil sales

like I been saying all year, 2021 will peak and beat 2020 sales imo

Goddamn, that definitely qualifies as a bold prediction. Hope you make a thread for it.

I will. 5mil is the highest for a third party and it was portable 3 (MH)

I have to think if 7mil is where I want to make it bold or actually say 8mil cuz I do think ceiling cap is there

RolStoppable said:

Another stable week for Switch results in a comfortable year over year win against 2019. Launch of Switch Lite is upcoming, so the next two weeks should be clear losses for 2020, but that will only chip away a little bit of the already massive year over year YTD lead.

The more pressing question is how serious tbone51 is with his "Monster Hunter Rise will sell 7m in Japan" comment. In any case, this timely announcement by Capcom must be like a dagger in Sony Japan's heart. The PS5 wouldn't have had it easy to begin with, but March 2021 is just mean.

Week 2019 Weekly 2019 Cumulative 2020 Weekly 2020 Cumulative Difference Weekly Difference Cumulative
1 225.698 225.698 284.827 284.827 59.129 59.129
2 83.136 308.834 116.301 401.128 33.165 92.294
3 71.672 380.506 96.458 497.586 24.786 117.080
4 51.556 432.062 67.987 565.573 16.431 133.511
5 66.448 498.510 75.922 641.495 9.474 142.985
6 61.042 559.552 100.961 741.456 39.919 181.904
7 64.313 623.865 80.312 821.948 15.999 198.083
8 49.139 673.004 41.490 863.258 -7.649 190.254
9 66.453 739.457 53.098 916.356 -13.355 176.899
10 67.624 807.081 50.585 967.941 -17.039 160.860
11 55.478 862.559 57.274 1.025.215 1.796 162.656
12 56.812 919.371 392.576 1.417.791 335.764 498.420
13 49.852 969.223 282.561 1.700.352 232.709 731.129
14 46.850 1.016.073 154.640 1.854.992 107.790 838.919
15 54.101 1.070.174 25.313 1.880.305 -28.788 810.131
16 40.338 1.110.512 27.874 1.908.179 -12.464 797.667
17 42.108 1.152.620 107.104 2.015.284 64.996 862.664
18 41.735 1.194.355 78.731 2.094.015 36.996 899.660
19 41.736 1.236.091 78.731 2.172.746 36.995 936.655
20 32.564 1.268.655 38.380 2.211.126 5.816 942.471
21 25.936 1.294.591 52.557 2.263.683 26.621 969.092
22 33.154 1.327.745 107.593 2.371.276 74.439 1.043.531
23 33.590 1.361.335 68.192 2.439.468 34.602 1.078.133
24 34.321 1.395.656 55.187 2.494.655 20.866 1.098.999
25 29.058 1.424.714 78.428 2.573.083 49.370 1.148.369
26 59.184 1.483.898 93.799 2.666.882 34.615 1.182.984
27 75.481 1.559.379 52.250 2.719.132 -23.231 1.159.753
28 55.823 1.615.202 96.879 2.816.011 41.056 1.200.809
29 45.596 1.660.798 113.197 2.929.208 67.601 1.268.410
30 42.689 1.703.487 125.231 3.054.439 82.542 1.350.952
31 36.613 1.740.100 86.605 3.141.044 49.992 1.400.944
32 46.338 1.786.438 173.338 3.314.382 127.000 1.527.944
33 46.339 1.832.777 148.699 3.463.081 102.360 1.630.304
34 30.072 1.862.849 70.129 3.533.210 40.057 1.670.361
35 90.553 1.953.402 78.773 3.611.983 -11.780 1.658.581
36 77.392 2.030.794 77.611 3.689.594 219 1.658.800
37 51.619 2.082.413 83.920 3.773.514 32.301 1.691.101
38 239.740 2.322.153
39 196.489 2.518.642
40 89.137 2.607.779
41 56.680 2.664.459
42 54.067 2.718.526
43 69.438 2.787.964
44 119.397 2.907.361
45 88.772 2.996.133
46 180.136 3.176.269
47 179.992 3.356.261
48 186.763 3.543.024
49 188.501 3.731.525
50 236.625 3.968.150
51 291.485 4.259.614
52 234.268 4.493.885

I’m  been saying for awhile now about NSW going to be up again YoY for 2021. On Resetera months ago some people really thought sales would drop to maybe 3mil. And 4mil was doable and a huge achievement already. Silly predictions. 2021 and 2020 will both be over 6mil each.

Q1-Q3 will be higher in 2021 than 2020 is literally what will happen for my prediction 

As for Mh 7mil is bold but I’m thinking 8mil and 15mil+ WW would be BOLD enough to get talk going lmao