By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS has ended production

Good night 3DS. The last pure gaming handheld we'll probably ever see.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

The 3DS started out looking like it would be a total failure but rallied enough to be considered a success hitting around 76mill in sales.

Yeah sure it's the lowest selling of Nintendos handheld families but that is only because of the huge popularity of smartphones and tablets eating into the handheld market to some extent - for comparison look how the PS Vita did. This thing still carried the company through the dark days of the Wii U.

Great system overall. Kinda sad to see it's officially ending but it was always going to this year with the recent sales they've been getting.

I loved mine so much, farewell 3Ds :(

Good long run from a good strong handheld. I put a lot of time into mine and enjoyed all of the features. I enjoyed the depth that the 3D added to most games that took advantage of it. Despite many regarding the camera as crap, I actually took thousands of nice pictures with it over the years. I also got good use out of the web browser for a time and even the Netflix app early on. And, I remember being wowed by the AR stuff when first taking it out of the box and always thought it a shame that more use never came of that. It's sad to see it's lifecycle finally end, but with the Switch walking the line of being a home console and a take with you wherever you go system, there was no longer a market for it to hang onto.

Now let's hope Nintendo can bring some of those awesome 3DS games to the Switch!

Around the Network

Fantastic little system! All those little Atlus JRPGs on the 3DS truly were hidden gems. Poke'mon X/Y was my favorite Poke'mon. I'll be playing 3DS games for years to come. All 33 games in my collection, and almost every single one of them was an exclusive to boot!

Part of me wants to go out and buy a brand new New 3DS XL just to have one of the final ones, sealed, in box, and complete. Should I do it?

Such a good handheld. Only thing it was missing were ds games in the eshop to purchase.

4 ≈ One

Best portable I ever played, and one of the platforms that transformed me into the enthusiastic gamer I am today. I was there from launch, which probably wasn't the best idea. But oh well. I'm honestly surprised it took this long. With how well Switch has been doing, you think they would've killed it off between Fall 2018 and Summer 2019.
I'm sure the eShop will be open in major regions for a while. The Wii U production was killed off in January 2017, and the eShop is still open.
I kind of want to get a New 2DS XL. My OG 3DS is functional enough, but showing its age. But who knows if I would get one at all.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

R.I.P not only the 3DS line, but the DS line in general 2004-2020. Thank you Nintendo for all the memories and great experiences I've had with this device. The sadness of it being officially discontinued is really starting to hit me now even though the writing was on the wall.

javi741 said:
R.I.P not only the 3DS line, but the DS line in general 2004-2020. Thank you Nintendo for all the memories and great experiences I've had with this device. The sadness of it being officially discontinued is really starting to hit me now even though the writing was on the wall.

I'm still a young guy (though a college graduate) And it's crazy to think in my life I've seen the end of the Game Boy (Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance) and DS (DS, 3DS) families.

I honestly don't think Nintendo will make a platform again that is just portable with no home console version, or vice versa. I think it is hybrids from here until whenever Nintendo stops making hardware.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima