By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS has ended production

Despite not being Ninty's best and best selling system, it managed to utterly dominate its competitor, but its most important achievement has been to keep Ninty afloat during the Wii U painful flop, paving also the way for NS' astounding success.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Damn. I wanted Switch to pass 3DS's hardware total before it was taken off of the market. It was due to end though. No need to keep the old 3DS going while the Switch is breaking sales records.

So many great memories that I have from playing 3DS games (and there's still many games for it that I want to play).

My fave games for the system are Kid Icarus: Uprising and Zelda: A Link Between Words.

Anyway, Rest in Peace, sweet prince.

I don't know how to quickly find relevant threads, and I'm way too lazy to search for more than a few minutes. What did the users of this site think was going to be lifetime sales when the system launched?

Around the Network

I wasn't the biggest fan of the system personally, but all the same, it's always somewhat melancholy to see a system (and in this case a hardware line) sail off into the sunset. It's the end of an era; it's highly doubtful there will be any more major standalone handheld systems after this. The last of its kind.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

I wasn't the biggest fan of the system personally, but all the same, it's always somewhat melancholy to see a system (and in this case a hardware line) sail off into the sunset. It's the end of an era; it's highly doubtful there will be any more major standalone handheld systems after this. The last of its kind.

Switch Lite is a thing.

Then again, I guess you've narrowed down the definition to exclude it. "Standalone" might just mean that secondary SKUs of a hardware line don't count, although market perception will take Switch Lite as a continuation of Nintendo's handheld line because functionally it absolutely is.

Well, that is what I meant by standalone. Switch Lite isn't its own separate system, it's a revision of a system that is primarily a hybrid.

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
I don't know how to quickly find relevant threads, and I'm way too lazy to search for more than a few minutes. What did the users of this site think was going to be lifetime sales when the system launched?

I can only rely on my own recollection, but we are talking about a decade ago here.

I am fairly sure that the general consensus hovered slightly above the 100m mark before the 3DS launched. Another general consensus was that the marketshare split between 3DS and NGP (Next Gen Portable, later known as Vita) would be about 60/40, so Sony being able to make it a closer race than DS vs. PSP.

But those original 100m+ expectations (my own one included) got quickly dashed with the 3DS's slow start and the ensuing even worse start for the Vita made people realize that the market would shrink by a tremendous amount instead of one company's loss being another company's gain. Lifetime sales expectations for the 3DS kept being adjusted down year after year, and by year 5 it was so bad that 70m was considered incredibly optimistic.

So the 3DS kept defying expectations for a very long time. Initially too much optimism, eventually too much pessimism. I suppose you can call it an interesting generation. The 3DS also incurred temporary losses for Nintendo, so the overall conclusion can only be a negative one: The 3DS did not live up to expectations. ~76m lifetime is only good in the context of where the expectations were when they hit rock bottom, but that doesn't negate the initial loftier predictions at all.

That checks out! And virtual boy aside, it seems fair to label it as Nintendo's least successful handheld. It was even outsold by the GBA, with its shortened lifespan...

I was a xbox guy before buying a 3DS and started getting tired of western games and their philosphies. Now this device saved Console gaming for me. I would’ve only played strategy games on PC if it weren’t for the 3DS.

This was my first Nintendo device so I came in contact with Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem via 3DS. Without it, I would have not become a Nintendo fan and bought the Switch. Thank you!

Last edited by Stellar_Fungk - on 18 September 2020

I am a Nintendo fanatic.