Forums - Movies Discussion - Netflix Loses Millions of Subscriptions Over Controversial Film, "Cuties" For Sexploiting Children

Let's get something clear here. Sexualization of children is not illegal. There seems to be little grounds to say that the film has done anything legally problematic. it may be socially problematic, or maybe problematic to any one of us personally. But, it ain't illegal.



Around the Network

Yeah, Im not watching that movie. It sounds disturbing to say the least.



VAMatt said:
Let's get something clear here. Sexualization of children is not illegal. There seems to be little grounds to say that the film has done anything legally problematic. it may be socially problematic, or maybe problematic to any one of us personally. But, it ain't illegal.

From my understanding one of the young girls exposes her bare breasts which would be classified as child pornography and would be illegal.  I haven’t actually seen said clip and have no interest in looking for it either.  

personally, it’s not a film I would ever click on so I don’t actually plan on cancelling my Netflix.  However, if it does do this then it should be removed from the service.  Honestly, it feels kinda inevitable that it does get removed with all this backlash over it... my Facebook feed is buzzing about it right now...



Still not worth it to get a Netflix subscription.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Stupid movie and even worse reactions.

Welcome to 2020 where people will make a problem of anything and everything.



Around the Network

Sounds like a typical French movie.

But honestly there are much "worse" movies out there in this regard.
In the 1978 movie Pretty Baby, there are scenes with a nude 12-year old Brooke Shields who plays a prostitute.
Just to name a popular actress.

Underage nudity is not uncommon at all in movies. This one doesn't even have nudity (not that it would need any).

Last edited by Barozi - 5 days ago

Carl said:
Is there an actual, reliable source that confirms that X number of people have cancelled Netflix over this movie?

lol of course not, you should know better.



Barozi said:
Sounds like a typical French movie.

But honestly there are much "worse" movies out there in this regard.
In the 1978 movie Pretty Baby, there are scenes with a nude 12-year old Brooke Shields who plays a prostitute.
Just to name a popular actress.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure that Brooke Shields has specifically spoken out against how she was exploited by adults when she was a kid. Playboy took nude photos of her in a bathtub when she was 10, then she appeared nude at the age of 12 in Pretty Baby, then she had nude sex scenes at 16 in the movie Blue Lagoon. All highly controversial stuff back then that was technically allowed by law. Here we are, 40 years later, and children are still being sexually exploited in Hollywood. I think it's about high time that people finally make a stand against this, if Cuties is the straw that finally breaks the camel's back then so be it. It should not be ok for Hollywood and other film makers to skirt child pornography laws the way they do, claiming it is artistic expression.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - 5 days ago

shikamaru317 said:
Barozi said:
Sounds like a typical French movie.

But honestly there are much "worse" movies out there in this regard.
In the 1978 movie Pretty Baby, there are scenes with a nude 12-year old Brooke Shields who plays a prostitute.
Just to name a popular actress.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure that Brooke Shields has specifically spoken out against how she was exploited by adults when she was a kid. Playboy took nude photos of her in a bathtub when she was 10, then she appeared nude at the age of 12 in Pretty Baby, then she had nude sex scenes at 16 in the movie Blue Lagoon. All highly controversial stuff back then that was technically allowed by law. Here we are, 40 years later, and children are still being sexually exploited in Hollywood. I think it's about high time that people finally make a stand against this, if Cuties is the straw that finally breaks the camel's back then so be it. It should not be ok for Hollywood and other film makers to skirt child pornography laws the way they do, claiming it is artistic expression.

Legally, where do you think the line should be? (Please try to avoid vague wording)



sundin13 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Thing is, I'm pretty sure that Brooke Shields has specifically spoken out against how she was exploited by adults when she was a kid. Playboy took nude photos of her in a bathtub when she was 10, then she appeared nude at the age of 12 in Pretty Baby, then she had nude sex scenes at 16 in the movie Blue Lagoon. All highly controversial stuff back then that was technically allowed by law. Here we are, 40 years later, and children are still being sexually exploited in Hollywood. I think it's about high time that people finally make a stand against this, if Cuties is the straw that finally breaks the camel's back then so be it. It should not be ok for Hollywood and other film makers to skirt child pornography laws the way they do, claiming it is artistic expression.

Legally, where do you think the line should be? (Please try to avoid vague wording)

Personally? I don't think that any pictures or film showing nudity under the age of 18 should be allowed, unless it is very clearly non-sexual, for instance a mother taking a picture of her young kids bathing and posting it on social media. No nudity under 18 at all in professional films, not even if you use a body double for the scene who is over 18. Non-nude sex scenes or sexually suggestive clips in films I'd say are ok if both characters and actors are between 15-17, no younger than 15, and the actors should actually be non-nude for the scene, as in the actors wearing some clothes miming sex under covers, having them actually nude together is not ok, even if the camera doesn't show any breast/butt/penis/bush/whatever. I'd say underage underwear and 2 piece swimsuit modeling is ok, though there are some that find even that to be unacceptable, and I understand why they feel that way.