By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Revises down production - *Update* Debunked

BraLoD said:
They increased it from 10 to 15 last time didn't they?
Just to drop it back to 11 now xP

Nope, the original story was that they increased from 6M to 10M. Now this one is saying they increased to as much as 15M which is double what they originally shipped for thePS4 in the same 4month launch window.

Now they are at 11M, which is still3.5Mmore than they did with the PS4 in the same window.

This s the thing with rumors I guess... you only know what is real after whatever it's talking about has happened.

Around the Network

Yields (and, inherently, defect rates) are every's plant best kept secrets.
There is no way to get even close to getting the exact numbers, not Bloomberg, not Donald Trump, maybe not even MS or Sony.

#Nerfed

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

its fine not a lot of peeps will day one buy ps5 smart move!

Intrinsic said:
BraLoD said:
They increased it from 10 to 15 last time didn't they?
Just to drop it back to 11 now xP

Nope, the original story was that they increased from 6M to 10M. Now this one is saying they increased to as much as 15M which is double what they originally shipped for thePS4 in the same 4month launch window.

Now they are at 11M, which is still3.5Mmore than they did with the PS4 in the same window.

This s the thing with rumors I guess... you only know what is real after whatever it's talking about has happened.

1 million more. 7.5 was shipped to retailers not manufactured I believe.

Around the Network

The original forecast of 15 Million PS5's produced by March 2021 is absolutely bonkers.

Production =/= shipped to retail, so it looks like theyre now aiming for numbers slightly above PS4

A 50% yield sounds expensive, I wonder why its so low. Is the chip more exotic than they've let on?

Last edited by Otter - on 15 September 2020

So APU yield suddenly got terrible after 6 months? I dunno if I buy that.

Though if SNY now wanted 38 active CU's instead of 36 out of the 40 total, well now you'd have yourself some APU dies that no longer met spec.

Yeilds wouldn't be down now, they'd be down overall only because of an updated spec change.

Has SNY actually been assembling units this whole time, or only more recently? If SNY is lagging on assembly because of this, they might have to use transportation like air freight to make sure they could meet the launch plans.

EricHiggin said:

Though if SNY now wanted 38 active CU's instead of 36 out of the 40 total, well now you'd have yourself some APU dies that no longer met spec.

Yeilds wouldn't be down now, they'd be down overall only because of an updated spec change.

Has SNY actually been assembling units this whole time, or only more recently? If SNY is lagging on assembly because of this, they might have to use transportation like air freight to make sure they could meet the launch plans.

Well.. they have already looked 60 flights or something like that for air freight lol. 

And we don't know if his means yields are "terrible". Just not as good as they want it to be. We have no idea how it s for MS. Besides, this isn't even really a sony problem, well it is being that I impact how many consoles they can bring to market, but its more an AMD problem, as contracts would have been made and sony are not the ones directly paying for the chips.

I just won't put too much stock into this, and the same goes with all rumors. We will know what's what when we hear the price of the console tomorrow and then subsequently when we see how many consoles they have shipped by March 2021.

Intrinsic said:
EricHiggin said:

Well.. they have already looked 60 flights or something like that for air freight lol. 

And we don't know if his means yields are "terrible". Just not as good as they want it to be. We have no idea how it s for MS. Besides, this isn't even really a sony problem, well it is being that I impact how many consoles they can bring to market, but its more an AMD problem, as contracts would have been made and sony are not the ones directly paying for the chips.

I just won't put too much stock into this, and the same goes with all rumors. We will know what's what when we hear the price of the console tomorrow and then subsequently when we see how many consoles they have shipped by March 2021.

Lots of questions if there's truth to it. 

However, XBSX is $499.99. Same APU partner as SNY, similar semi custom tech, same APU manufacturer, same process. Either MS is taking a pretty big hit and won't have many units for launch, or the APU yields aren't that bad. Unless PS5 ain't using a typical APU, but that's reaching.