By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Revises down production - *Update* Debunked

EricHiggin said:
Intrinsic said:

Well.. they have already looked 60 flights or something like that for air freight lol. 

And we don't know if his means yields are "terrible". Just not as good as they want it to be. We have no idea how it s for MS. Besides, this isn't even really a sony problem, well it is being that I impact how many consoles they can bring to market, but its more an AMD problem, as contracts would have been made and sony are not the ones directly paying for the chips.

I just won't put too much stock into this, and the same goes with all rumors. We will know what's what when we hear the price of the console tomorrow and then subsequently when we see how many consoles they have shipped by March 2021.

Lots of questions if there's truth to it. 

However, XBSX is $499.99. Same APU partner as SNY, similar semi custom tech, same APU manufacturer, same process. Either MS is taking a pretty big hit and won't have many units for launch, or the APU yields aren't that bad. Unless PS5 ain't using a typical APU, but that's reaching. 

GPU clock... If there is a culprit, it could be that. 

Around the Network

Sounds like a spec bump to me. Only thing that makes sense after the yields where supposed to be amazing not to long ago.
Still high number. 15m would have been bonkers. But Im sure they would have sold all those given the launch line up, price, mind share and the still rumored unannounced games.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

If there's going to be less consoles available regardless, if the yield info is mostly an excuse and only a minimal concern, it could also be SNY is just going to charge more than they were planning to prior.

A $499 PS5 won't sell as fast as a $399 or $449 would. No point in having a bunch of extra inventory lying around. No chance you're going to explain that's the legit reason for the production downgrade either.

Some of you are confused these are production shipments not retail shipments, for comparison PS4 shipped 10m in the same period production wise but retail wise around 7m was shipped.

This rumour doesn`t even know math for what it seems.
Sony original production plan was 5M, then they doubled it to 10M. So when they revise it down by 4M it ends up at 11M? That is pretty funny.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

The speculation that Sony may have gone for 38 CUs instead of 36 thus making yield go lower would mean 5.5% increase in power or going 10.28 to 10.85 Tflop. Not sure the gain is really that good to justify lower yields.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PAOerfulone said:

For comparison, the PS4 shipped 7.5 million units by March 2014.
So Sony was previously expecting to ship double that amount for PS5 units through March 2021, before lowering it to the point where they now expect to ship just an additional 3.5 million PS5 units for March 2021.

...I really think Sony is overestimating demand here.

Whatever Sony puts out there, it's going to sell out. Especially if it really is $399 for DE and $449 for the disk. When it comes to hype and mindshare, the PS5 has the vast majority of it compared to the XSS and XSX. MS has fumbled their launch again with the lack of compelling exclusive SW in the launch window. Their focus on cross-gen gaming. Two game reveal events that were mocked. And I still don't think we have seen anything but B/C games running on the actual HW. 

You may not think it's as bad as the XBO launch, which in a vacuum it's not. However, this isn't a vacuum. Xbox has never fully recovered from the XBO launch. MS didn't help when they slowed exclusive output to a crawl. Much that did come out was mediocre and didn't perform well. There's a reason the PS4 can still sell ~200K in NPD, which covers Xbox's strongest region, after being out almost 7 years, while XBO has been below 50K.

We went from 6-10-15-11. That’s weird that they can’t decide on a hard number. The news also gives me the impression the hardware team just isn’t on the ball.

PS4 did 7.4 million by Mar 2014 and that was them being cheaper and compared to a PR nightmare Xbox One launch. This is not 2013 and its weird they have a high bar when they don’t have the price nor power advantage.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

DonFerrari said:
This rumour doesn`t even know math for what it seems.
Sony original production plan was 5M, then they doubled it to 10M. So when they revise it down by 4M it ends up at 11M? That is pretty funny.

The way I understood it was that in July they were expecting to have 10M manufactured by end of 2020, the 15M was supposed to be the amount shipped by end of fiscal year (March 2021).  

sales2099 said:

We went from 6-10-15-11. That’s weird that they can’t decide on a hard number. The news also gives me the impression the hardware team just isn’t on the ball.

PS4 did 7.4 million by Mar 2014 and that was them being cheaper and compared to a PR nightmare Xbox One launch. This is not 2013 and its weird they have a high bar when they don’t have the price nor power advantage.

They may yet have price on the higher sku.