Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Revises down production - *Update* Debunked

Fake news! Sony reported it as completely false and they are not making any adjustments to their production schedule:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-09-15-sony-reportedly-cuts-ps5-production-by-4m-units

Expect more of these fake insiders to release more bullshit over the next 24 hours



Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

From the Bloomberg.jp article. Google translate is your friend.

The gist of it, apparently, Sony intended to ship 15M PS5s by March 2021, but due to yield issues that has been revised down by 4M units to 11M PS5s by March 2021. The analysts also says that the price of the PS5 is expected to be $399 and $449 for the digital and standard SKUs respectively.

It is clear that Sony has revised down the production volume of the next-generation game machine "PlayStation (PS) 5" to be released within the year by 4 million units in this term (the term ending March 2021) to about 11 million units. Became. The production yield of the specially designed integrated circuit "System on Chip (SOC)", which corresponds to the heart of PS5, is not stable.

Because the information was not disclosed, multiple parties revealed it on condition of anonymity. In July, the company informed its parts suppliers that it would double its production volume, considering that the consumption of nesting due to the spread of the new coronavirus infection would support demand even after the year-end sales season.

According to the person concerned, the production volume has been forced to be reviewed because the yield of SOC is sluggish at about 50%. He said that the yield is improving, but the quality has not reached a stable level. A Sony spokeswoman declined to comment.

Last week, Microsoft sold the "Xbox Series X" for $ 499 (Japan's domestic price is 49,980 yen) and the "Series S" without a disk drive for $ 299 (32,980 yen). Announced to be released on the 10th of March. There is a view that the announcement of affordable prices poses a threat to Sony.

Sony is expected to announce details such as price and release date at the PS5 related video event to be held on the 17th. Masahiro Wakasugi, an analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence, expects the cheapest case to be priced at $ 449 for a model with a disk drive and $ 399 for a model without a disk drive.



Thread Title updated. Sony has debunked it.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - 5 days ago

                                                                                                             

Zombie9ers said:
Fake news! Sony reported it as completely false and they are not making any adjustments to their production schedule:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-09-15-sony-reportedly-cuts-ps5-production-by-4m-units

Expect more of these fake insiders to release more bullshit over the next 24 hours

Thanks. Phew...

This is exactly why no stock should ever be put into rumors.



Well this lasted very little.
Kind of gets me thinking of how much fake news has been going on with the ps5. Its really starting to look like MS is behind this. Just preping my tin foil is all im saying.
I guess we just wait 24 hours and be done with this. But who is to say more trash just wont stop coming untill the actual release.



It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

What happends if a news site makes up rumors, that causes stocks in company to drop?

like are they just allowed to say yields are bad? they planned to do 15m, and reason its only 11m is because of bad yields?
If thats not true, and it hurts the stock of a company.... thats a crappy thing to do lol.



DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

I’m rolling my eyes at your first comment. Please, you don’t have to educate me on the importance of brand over specs. The power narrative does apply to the niche core gamers that care about their multiplats. The vocal minority. Everything helps, power and price of Series S will ensure the gap initially  won’t be as wide. 

I’m allowed to say the shifting shipment projections are a bit much, it’s fair to say. And by hardware teams I was referring to the chip yield aspect. By being on the ball I mean having a flawless hardware production, not rumors like this. Selling on their brand power is not the point at all I was making. 

Just as I imagined, if the rumor is negative for Sony you use it as true, but when confirmed information is negative for MS you just pretend it doesn`t exist.

Easy now, if the rumor is debunked I won’t cite it anymore. And I heard no rumors of Series X production being impacted  this year. If so please clarify. 



Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

 

Dulfite said:
Marth said:

Do you really think they make the SoC and the rest of the damn box in the same factory?

Uh, no? But that's not the point? For it to be considered "produced" means it is completely made. If 20 PS5's are created, then 20 will ship is the point. No one would count production numbers for partially completed PS5's lol that would be insane.

We have different definitions then.

What you are talking about is a retail shipment as it goes from assembly to retail.

Production shipment is a shipment from chip production to device assembly.



German YouTuber and Streamer:

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon 2020 thread

So now that is debunked we are back with the 10m produced consoles by March 2021 which is slightly short of what they produced for the PS4 in the same period and still a good number.



Dulfite said:
Marth said:

Do you really think they make the SoC and the rest of the damn box in the same factory?

Uh, no? But that's not the point? For it to be considered "produced" means it is completely made. If 20 PS5's are created, then 20 will ship is the point. No one would count production numbers for partially completed PS5's lol that would be insane.

Let`s count the BD drivers, RAM or GPUs as production shipment. Why? For the fun of it.

Ryotsu said:
Intrinsic said:

From the Bloomberg.jp article. Google translate is your friend.

The gist of it, apparently, Sony intended to ship 15M PS5s by March 2021, but due to yield issues that has been revised down by 4M units to 11M PS5s by March 2021. The analysts also says that the price of the PS5 is expected to be $399 and $449 for the digital and standard SKUs respectively.

It is clear that Sony has revised down the production volume of the next-generation game machine "PlayStation (PS) 5" to be released within the year by 4 million units in this term (the term ending March 2021) to about 11 million units. Became. The production yield of the specially designed integrated circuit "System on Chip (SOC)", which corresponds to the heart of PS5, is not stable.

Because the information was not disclosed, multiple parties revealed it on condition of anonymity. In July, the company informed its parts suppliers that it would double its production volume, considering that the consumption of nesting due to the spread of the new coronavirus infection would support demand even after the year-end sales season.

According to the person concerned, the production volume has been forced to be reviewed because the yield of SOC is sluggish at about 50%. He said that the yield is improving, but the quality has not reached a stable level. A Sony spokeswoman declined to comment.

Last week, Microsoft sold the "Xbox Series X" for $ 499 (Japan's domestic price is 49,980 yen) and the "Series S" without a disk drive for $ 299 (32,980 yen). Announced to be released on the 10th of March. There is a view that the announcement of affordable prices poses a threat to Sony.

Sony is expected to announce details such as price and release date at the PS5 related video event to be held on the 17th. Masahiro Wakasugi, an analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence, expects the cheapest case to be priced at $ 449 for a model with a disk drive and $ 399 for a model without a disk drive.

Would expected someone to say Sony is just denying to save face.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Just as I imagined, if the rumor is negative for Sony you use it as true, but when confirmed information is negative for MS you just pretend it doesn`t exist.

Easy now, if the rumor is debunked I won’t cite it anymore. And I heard no rumors of Series X production being impacted  this year. If so please clarify. 

What about the confirmed that Devkits for XSX were very late? What about no next gen game being show "running on XSX" instead "target HW config" or equivalent? What about only a small portion of games being optimized for Series X even though it was the one confirmed several months ago with Series S just now being confirmed? Those are confirmed information that you don`t really cared about, but for rumors against Sony you were merry =p

Marth said:
Dulfite said:

Uh, no? But that's not the point? For it to be considered "produced" means it is completely made. If 20 PS5's are created, then 20 will ship is the point. No one would count production numbers for partially completed PS5's lol that would be insane.

We have different definitions then.

What you are talking about is a retail shipment as it goes from assembly to retail.

Production shipment is a shipment from chip production to device assembly.

And the thread is about 15M consoles not chips, memories, BD reader, etc.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994